Irish passport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Dec 2020 5:54 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Has anyone applied for a Irish passport, through having a parent being Irish, if you have was it easy to do . 

Like 0      
21 Dec 2020 7:29 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Yes got one for my Daughter, loads of Certificates to get Birth, Marriage, Death etc  of Relatives, Her Passport confirmed from  Notarys copies of everything, took about 9 months, easy as long as all above and application completed correctlly 

Like 0      
22 Dec 2020 8:49 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I recently applied for my Irish passport due to my Mother being Irish. If you have the required documentation it takes about 6-8 weeks

Like 0      
22 Dec 2020 10:47 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I just can't see any point in applying for a bootleg Irish passport..as the same rules will apply as and when you live in Spain .stay in Spain for more than 183 days and your world wide investments even pensions become taxable if you live in Spain for 90 days you should register on the Padron... These EU rules have always been law in the EU but have never really been implemented up until now by the Spanish.

you will not be able to apply for a Irish EHIC either as you need to have paid into the Irish DWP for a minimum of 15 year's.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2020 11:12 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I don't live in Spain. However I bank in Spain so the passport may be useful and dependent on Brexit negotiations may speed up my time through Airport queues.

BTW it's not a bootleg passport - Anyone who has a parent born in Ireland is automatically an Irish citizen (with or without an Irish passport)

Like 0      
24 Dec 2020 5:36 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

even if your parent is Irish, you have to register as an Irish citizen living abroad to obtain a passport.  I'll be applying myself because I have an Irish grand parent

Like 0      
24 Dec 2020 6:15 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

You don't have to register as an Irish citizen abroad if you live in the UK and one of your parents is Irish. As I said in my earlier post you are an Irish citizen through birthright. As for applying through a Grandparent you have to apply to become an Irish citizen through descent which costs 278 euros plus the cost of your passport on top.

See below

"If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship.""

My grandparent was born on the island of Ireland. Am I an Irish citizen?

Yes, you can apply for Irish citizenship by descent.

In these cases, you can become an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration.

Once a person is entered onto the Foreign Births Register they are an Irish citizen and entitled to apply for an Irish passport."

Like 0      
24 Dec 2020 7:38 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I agree with Jarvi...I've never heard of having to register as an Irish citizen living abroad in order to get a passport...someone please supply a link.  My sister was born in Limavady, Northern Ireland, when our dad was stationed there as a Fleet Air Arm pilot, but the Rep of Ireland were happy to give her a passport (which she has passed on to her kids) ....and Dublin actively encouraged my dad to get a passport for himself as he was an "Irish resident"...probably to wind up the Brits that a British naval officer living in NI would want to become an Irish citizen.  All back in the day, but the Irish are very pleasantly co-operative people, they used to be happy to give citizenship if you called yourself a poet. Had I problems becoming a Spanish resident I'd have definitely have applied for Irish residency....just a pity about the weather. But absolutely wonderful, humorous  people.

One can never have too many passports...they open opportunities to one's children.

Like 1      
24 Dec 2020 7:50 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

24 Dec 2020 8:51 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

you are right. Registering as as Irish citizen abroad only applies if your grandparent was Irish. Not a parent. Thank you for the info.

Like 2      
26 Dec 2020 6:01 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

So  Registering as as Irish citizen abroad only applies if your grandparent was Irish. So my son gets one because of my mum ( his granma ) . And I get one because it's my mum . So are they both the same passports . 

Like 0      
26 Dec 2020 6:27 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Yes Correct 

This message was last edited by nitram on 26/12/2020.

Like 0      
26 Dec 2020 6:35 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

How much dose it cost I am sure when I looked before it was about 90 euros each , and when I look now it nearly 300 euro .

Like 0      
26 Dec 2020 6:52 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

newworld - If you need to apply for citizenship it costs 278 euros. A passport if you are an Irish citizen is 75 euros plus 15 euros for postage, so your assumption at 90 euros for a passport is correct, it's the citizenship that costs a lot

Like 0      
26 Dec 2020 8:59 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I take it you are aware that the southern Irish passport will not get you free health care in the EU ... unless you have paid into the Irish DWP system for a minimum of 15 years.. Holders of the new British Passport will  be able to access free health care across the EU with the new UK  ( GHC ) Global Health Card from January 1st 2021...

This message was last edited by windtalker on 26/12/2020.

Like 0      
26 Dec 2020 10:24 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I know everything that my Irish passport gives me

Like 0      
26 Dec 2020 10:33 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Jarvi..your Irish passport allows you to live in the likes of Spain ...for a maximum of 90 days in every 180 day period ... exactly the same as a British passport does...if you want to apply to be a Spanish residents the entry requirements are exactly the same for both the southern Irish passport and the British passport holder.

Like 0      
27 Dec 2020 12:37 AM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

When you get a Irish passport, thanks to your mother , does that mean you can't use you English passport, do you keep both passports ?

Like 0      
27 Dec 2020 8:42 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

newworld. You can use whichever passport you wish., it is entirely up to you if you keep both  You are a Dual National. My UK passport says I am British and my Irish one says I am Irish.  One of the advantages of it is there is nothing in the Brexit deal which allows UK passport holders quick access when going through passport control iin the EU. (All UK passport holders will have their passports stamped which is likely to add an hour to your time getting through the airport according to experts), however with your Irish passport you will be able to go through the EU channel, and as it is an EU passport you won't need to have 6 months pre expiry on it to travel to the EU

Like 0      
27 Dec 2020 9:22 AM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Thanks Jarvi. ...What I getting at is let's say I did 90 days with a UK passport, then I went back to the UK , could I fly a couple of days later with a Irish passport and do another 90 days . The passport control guy would not no as 2 different passport would have been used ?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Key holding licence in Spain - 3 posts
Gibraltar/La Linea Border - 1 posts
Residencia, tax returns and not in country 183 days - 6 posts
Organised Mortgage Fraud and Caixabank threatening legal action despite knowing this! - 10 posts
Query re latest Supreme Court ruling on IRPH mortgage clauses and the impact on know of ECJ rulings - 1 posts
Do homemade DVD's work in Spain? - 1 posts
advice needed on builder asking for 50% upfront fee prior to starting work - 13 posts
Alternative to Negative PCR Testing before arriving in Spain by Sea or Air - 0 posts
Registering for healthcare in Spain - 2 posts
Tax redemption form sale of property - 12 posts
Living in Spain after Brexit. What worries you? - 9 posts
End of November Podcast with Maria de Castro - 0 posts
Mojacar Magazine Launch - 0 posts
2 month winter rental in the Canaries? - 2 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers are the best - 19 posts
is flu jab mandatory - 2 posts
Advice for Beginners, retiring in Spain! - 17 posts
NIE following marriage - 8 posts
New Formula to claim in Ocean View Properties developments- Deadline 28th of December - 0 posts
Healthcare in Spain - 2 posts
duchess - 3 posts
Paypal - 3 posts
Differing lockdowns in different countries - 1 posts
Non resident taxes software - Form 210 - 7 posts
News papers, magazines or sites online about spanish news & life in english or German or French - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x