where to buy?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2016 4:50 PM by springfield Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi, My husband hopes to retire in a couple of years and we are thinking of buying a property and staying from April-Nov.

We are visiting in July and September later this year to have a good look round. We are looking at La Torre Golf and Campoamor. The thing wich concerns me when I look on line and read reveiws is that people say they are like ghost towns and some of the facilities are closed. We would like somewhere wich has a large expat comunity with a good social life, and to build up a good circle of friends.

Any advice and comments would be much appreciated.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2016 4:58 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

springfield,

You do realise that you would become resident in Spain don't you?

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 28/02/2016.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
28 Feb 2016 4:59 PM by springfield Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

28 Feb 2016 6:28 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

First of all if you do not know where you want to buy you should rent first it is very true that so called golf resort and the likes turn into ghost towns in the winter time if you do buy or rent make sure it's on a urbanization I personally have a villa on Camposol when I bought on Camposol I got it right first time it has a great comunity as people live on Camposol all year round do not stay in Spain any more than 183 day per year otherwise you will become a full time residents this means you will pay tax as a resident and have to take out private health care in you are under pensionable age  good luck.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 28/02/2016.

Like 2      
28 Feb 2016 6:34 PM by springfield Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice, we have heard of Camposol, and I don't w ant to appear rude, over in the UK it has been the topic of some tv programes with some negative reveiws.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2016 6:47 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Camposol like everywhere else in Spain has it's problems no more so than the so called golf resorts that the builers have left half Finnish and gone bankrupt leaving the banks to sell them off cheep don't forget if you do buy on a unfinished site what you see is what you get do not believe a word your told that is it it won't get Finnish the banks that own them are not builders the just financed what you are looking at and only interested in getting their money back .                          PS.l bought on Camposol 9 year ago .

Like 1      
28 Feb 2016 7:05 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Nearly all the are  ( Polaris World Golf Reorts )  are finished MMGR LTGR HRGR EVGR CDA all are up and running with golf courses bars shops etc, With Terrazas De La Torre little bit of building work, but a fully up and running golf course bars shop etc.

Like 2      
28 Feb 2016 7:23 PM by springfield Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

We did see a video on YouTube of Camposol and the people seemed very friendly, also the houses looked very appealing.Can you tell me which sector has had the trouble with the foundations sinking, and which areas have been unafected. From your posts it sounds like you have been lucky and not had any problems.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2016 7:29 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

With reference only to Murcia and Almeria without a doubt golf urbanisations and developments in a coastal resort are seasonal and can be lonely places for those who are permanent residents.

Camposol is slightly different. Although lots of holiday homes it also has plenty of residents . Visited the place once and decided not again. Even it it were legalised the holiday camp atmosphere with 24/7 entertainment newssheet wasn't 't  to my liking. Probably because I am from a different region in UK from most of the residents.

Consequently one can buy property at rock bottom prices and this appeals to people who can afford to gamble and are prepared to ignore all the on going, past and future problems.

It is a myth that only purpose built urbanisations are where one finds the Brits. We are everywhere. Just seek out villages 15 - 30 mins inland.

We also have our dinner dances with top class entertainment, book clubs, pétanque meets and quiz nights.etc ..butwithout the constant dreaded karaoke,  thankgoodness.

Most of the do's are organised through animal rescue charities which advertise in all the local papers  and are fantastic and even if you are not animal lovers is a great way to meet people.

Spain is not a place where one has to  buy in haste.. 

Rent for a month at a time,and at different times of the year and different places, until you find your utopia and only then make your decision.

Spain has a brilliant health service. Even if the £ and € are on par our money goes further .

Add sun and warmer weather and mindboglingly cheap menu del dia into the equation ( unless on a purpose built urbanisation where one pays Brit prices for food and beers ) and it's a wonderful place to live.

Good luck. 

Like 1      
28 Feb 2016 8:00 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Springfield Camposol is a large urbanization of approximately 4,500 property's spread over 4 miles it has four sections abcd I am on d section approximately 50 out of the 4,500 propertys built have problems they are on various parts of the urbanization if you like socializing/night life good live music /A 18 hole golf course/ good walks/ cycling then check out Camposol it works for me.

Like 1      
28 Feb 2016 8:02 PM by springfield Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the info , we will have a look around in the summer.

Like 0      
29 Feb 2016 3:42 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"---somewhere wich has a large expat comunity with a good social life" Ever heard of Benidorm? cheeky

"... if you do buy or rent make sure it's on a urbanization" Why? Why not look at an established town where Spaniards live and work, where ALL the homes are legal and the infrastructure, well...already exists?

And finally, as so many others will advise you - RENT, don't buy. If you only follow this one bit of advice, it will be the best thing you do.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
29 Feb 2016 9:12 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

I would recommend Campasol it has a real sense of community everyones basically down to earth ,not much money but happy if you have nothing valuable in your home you will be fine its a bit like an old fashioned postwar council estate very friendly and you can leave your doors open, everyone says hello even the Krauts and its very Gay friendly which we like.

If you can deal with the Pig farm the crumbling pavements and a few creepie crawlies oh and a few furry friends its the place to be.

Viva Camposol 

Love Hughsie xx

Like 3      
29 Feb 2016 10:52 PM by DuncanMcG Star rating in Manchester, UK. 377 posts Send private message

DuncanMcG´s avatar

I would echo what others have said. If you are looking for a place to live in for 6 months+ per year, rent first, buy later.

Rentals are cheap at present and although prices appear to have bottomed and are starting to rise slowly, they aren't going to shoot off into the stratosphere any time soon. Why not try renting on 6 or 7 rentals over the April to November period?

If you like peace and quiet any of the golf resorts would work. Most are quiet though not deserted from April through June. July through September they get busier and then it drops off again October through November. December to February is very quiet.

Some are more populated. Camposol sounds busy though I have never been. Mar Menor Golf Resort has always looked busy. Roda Golf is near the tourist area of Los Alcazares at the Mar Menor. La Torre is quieter but a very nice resort. You also have options on the Costa Calida itself away from golf resorts and along the sea front.

Be aware that the apartments on most resorts are not really big enough to live in for six months or more at a time. They are more aimed at short stays which they are perfect for. For longer, you will probably want a villa.

Many also like to buy in local communities where you will get more for your money and pay less in the way of community fees. You will also experience local culture, which you will be isolated from in an urbanisation.

Back to the first point. Rent first, buy later.

Good luck with your exploration

This message was last edited by DuncanMcG on 29/02/2016.

Like 1      
01 Mar 2016 4:04 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Never been to Camposol, but now I have an image in my mind's eye of a delightful, but gradually sinking, pot-holed construction site, populated 50% by drunken karaoke singing Fins ("half Finnish"), and the rest by homosexual Germans with pet spiders and rodents running wild, and with a pervading odor of pig sh1t ever present.

Why would the OP look anywhere else! cheeky

Mark Twain

Like 3      
01 Mar 2016 7:49 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Roberto I see you have been taken in  by Hughjardons misleading . posts .

Like 1      
01 Mar 2016 8:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Forgot to mention the wonderful sense of humour on Camposol laugh

Mark Twain

Like 2      
01 Mar 2016 8:19 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

It sounds like a crackling place to me. wink

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
01 Mar 2016 9:15 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Springfield

Take a look at Santiago de La Ribera, close to Murcia airport and lovely village. We love it there blush

Like 0      
01 Mar 2016 10:00 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Sucina.. lovely village, about 2000 people, 1/2 ex pats, 1/2 spanish.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Estate agents, Good or Bad? - 18 posts
Purchasing bank repossessed penthouse - 10 posts
Almoradi - 3 posts
Buying or selling a a car - 2 posts
The varying costs of living in Spanish cities - 0 posts
Moving to Alicante - 1 posts
Missed calls in the UK from a Spanish number - 5 posts
Where do agents get there price from. - 12 posts
driving our (Legal) Spanish car to the UK - 47 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - Do villa's rent well & is there still a fly problem? - 7 posts
Looking to buy in Torrox - 0 posts
Purchase Tax - 0 posts
How do we get 'approved' to be able to post links in forum posts? - 3 posts
Sarah - 2 posts
Is there Spanish Law about TV aerials in Communities - 10 posts
La Caixa bank charges - 1 posts
New to Spain and this Forum - 5 posts
Spanish Lawyer still has 5000 euros of mine - 12 posts
Trading Cars, License needed but how? - 7 posts
Living / moving in Spain - 13 posts
Utilities - 3 posts
Car Insurance Question - 2 posts
UCI Mortgage Debt Dilemma - 3 posts
Water supply to rural house - 8 posts
Longterm parking - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 46

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x