Bringing a dog from France.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by TheVicar Star rating in Le Lude, France. 17 posts Send private message

Can somebody clarify what vaccinations are needed (and what timescale) for bringing a dog from France, in my own car? She is already microchipped, and I have a French certificate of ownership, but her vaccination record is unknown as her previous owner committed suicide.

Google searches come up with very confused advice on what is the legal requirement.

While on the subject, what vaccinations are recommended (or compulsory) once I get there?

Many thanks

Like 0      
27 Aug 2007 3:23 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar
We have just returned from a trip to Spain with our two dogs.We needed pet passports and had to have rabies vaccinations for them. On returning to the U.K. we had to have vac. done 24 to 48 hours before entry. Look up the Defra site and you will get all you need. Good luck!

This message was last edited by lifeline on 8/27/2007.

Daveil

Like 0      
27 Aug 2007 4:06 PM by TheVicar Star rating in Le Lude, France. 17 posts Send private message

Thanks Lifeline, but the regulations between France and Spain are more relaxed than those of the UK. Defra cannot help me on this one as I have no plans to go back to the UK, but to settle in Spain. I have even been told that if I enter Spain via the motorways, which I probably will, I'm very unlikely to be stopped. However, I do want to make sure she has the right vaccinations and paperwork.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2007 5:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I would've thought you'd really want to protect your pet against certain diseases anyway, as we do in the UK. I mean, we have a cat & we put her in a cattery here sometimes & catteries usually insist on vaccinations against cat flu & enteritus. We also have her vaccinated against leukemia. Vet told us he believes this is much more important. If you drive into Spain I would've thought no one stops you with a pet in the car, do they ? You said the previous owner committed suicide but even if the dog was vaccinated against this & that & the other you should go to a vets who will say that as you don't know then you should vaccinate. Your vet should advise on this surely ?

Like 0      
27 Aug 2007 7:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
As far as I know, it's only UK, Ireland and Sweden that have any controls on movement of pets, but I could be wrong. You are required by law to have your pet microchipped in Spain, but apart from that, you should have no problems. And crossing between France and Spain in my experience, you don't even need to slow down!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Aug 2007 8:39 PM by TheVicar Star rating in Le Lude, France. 17 posts Send private message

Thanks again for you're replies. I'm going to visit the vet on Wednesday to ask his opinion.It looks like she will be having a vaccination against distemper, hepatitis, kennel cough and a couple of other things that I've not heard of before. I have read that she should also have a European certificate of health.

I'll also have her vaccinated against rabies (in case she meets some of those agents I've been reading about on here )

Then, just to be sure, I'll pop her in the glove compartment at the last service station before crossing the border (only joking, people!!)

Like 0      
27 Aug 2007 9:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"........I'll also have her vaccinated against rabies (in case she meets some of those agents I've been reading about on here"

Nice one, Reverend!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Arthritis Support Groups - 5 posts
EOS "Elping our Salvation" Thread - 7 posts
Arcos de la frontera - 1 posts
Hello, hoping you're all friendly! - 18 posts
´Hi it´s me!!!! - 2 posts
PO Boxs - 8 posts
finally hello!!!!!!! - 2 posts
Too old to find work? - 0 posts
Hi Low - 1 posts
Poor correspondence addressing - 6 posts
Where are you Juan Pánzon - 0 posts
Feb 2008 Half Term - 6 posts
Need some help logging onto new development forums!! - 4 posts
Ryanair to charge £2 per person per flight for check in - 3 posts
Looking for a gardener + maintainance person in Benalmadena - 0 posts
Too old? - 7 posts
Hello - 1 posts
Which website to sell my property? - 3 posts
Which website to sell my property? - 13 posts
Car - 18 posts
grupo location - 2 posts
Opions on Estate Agents - 10 posts
Property Problems? ITV Documentary - 4 posts
MOTORCYCLE TRIPS - 5 posts
Hi all - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x