The coming worldwide credit crunch

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jan 2008 5:57 PM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

Hi morerosado

Good thanks, how are you. You are very quick on the draw, I see its the same article.

Its interesting to see, but ECB debt is diverging in price, ie German debt is less expensive than Spainish debt. This should not be possible as it is all the same euros. However the market is voteing with its feet and trying to avoid risky countries in the EU. It also signals that people are taking bets on the fact that the Euro may not survive.

In the past countries like Italy and spain would trash their currency and deflate out of trouble. Now they are in the Euro they cannot. Its an accident waiting to happen.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 5:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi TJ, how are you ? This was just posted 3:55 PM today also, here.

Spanish Government hides their banks troubles
started by michael52

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/29/2008.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 5:04 PM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/01/28/bcnspain128.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

This I think proves my point that Spain is technically bankrupt.

.......It may equal the taxpayer rescue of Northern Rock in Britain, and possibly exceed it in proportion to the overall size of Spain's economy.

The key difference is that the ECB rescue operation in Spain has been disguised. A veiled method is necessary since the eurozone lacks a clear-cut lender of last resort. The IMF has warned that this gap in the architecture of of the single currency could prove serious in a crisis.

Traders say the Spanish authorities are quietly turning a blind eye to use of the ECB window, and in some cases may be encouraging banks to go to Frankfurt - a claim denied by the Bank of Spain.

Moody's said the total issuance of securities by Spanish banks last year reached €143bn, up 55pc on the 2006. Over €62bn were mortgage securities. The agency said the default rate was likely to rise, with mounting concerns among participants over a possible "housing crash". Some of the mortgage securities have already begun to draw on their reserve funds.

David Owen, Europe of Dresdner Kleinwort, said Spain could face serious difficulties this year as the excesses of a decade-long boom finally catch up with the country.

"The size of the Spanish corporate sectors financial deficit is truly is really scary. It rose to 14.5pc of GDP in the third quarter of 2007 from 10pc in the first quarter. This must be a record for a relatively large economy. Clearly this is not sustainable. Cost imbalances have a nasty habit of unwinding, quickly and very painfully," he said.

Mr Owen said Spain was acutely vulnerable since it cannot cut interest rates or let the currency slide to cushion the downturn. "Several years of no growth could now beckon. It will be very difficult for the economy to pick itself up again inside EMU," he said.

Spanish corporate debt is now 112pc of GDP. The current account deficit is 10pc of GDP. These are both flashing red warning signs.

Among those issuing mortgage securities in the last two months are BBVA (€4.9bn), Caja Madrid (€2.4bn), Caja Catalunya (€1.6bn), CAM (€1.4bn), and Caja Castilla la Mancha (€800m).

Like 0      
03 Jan 2008 2:45 PM by pooley-santos Star rating in London UK/Huercal Ov.... 58 posts Send private message

It was the new crystal ball I got for Xmas Rixxy - seems to be working well!

Like 0      
03 Jan 2008 2:43 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Now how did you guess that one! Or who were advised to spread their money over several, sell the others and pocket a fortune. Same sorry tale all over Im afraid!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
03 Jan 2008 2:27 PM by pooley-santos Star rating in London UK/Huercal Ov.... 58 posts Send private message

Doesn't surprise me Rixxy - I would bet that the ones that are losing money are those that came over on the "free" inspection trips, purchased and unknowingly paid 10/20/30% of the purchase price in commissions

Like 0      
03 Jan 2008 2:18 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Yes there is a fall in prices. Sellers who are serious about selling not ones who would like to sell at a million euros plus, are having to bring their prices down and in some cases - quite a few - are losing money on their original purchase price some years ago.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
03 Jan 2008 1:06 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Well all I can say is that you should see whats happening in Ireland. From the days of the Celtic Tiger people have seen the prices of properties inflate at such a rate it beggers belief. What no-one seems to realise is that unless you are prepared to sell up and move to somewhere cheaper then its not worth a dime to you. People lord it about and tell their friends that they bought for €100k and now its worth €1m. I agree with pooley-santos if you can enjoy life, feed the family and keep all warm and dry all this is not going to effect you unless you want to sell, lend money or are at risk of being made redundant.

I remember when Mrs Thatcher said "If you keep talking like this you'll talk us into recession"...well add that to the idiotic behaviour of the ECB refusing to cut rates (and talking last weekend of at least one increase in 2008) then you have an interesting mix ahead

What I want to know is whether there is an actual fall in prices in Spain as there is currently in the UK..Ireland...US etc...if so then selling here will not effect me...rather it will all be relative

Like 0      
02 Jan 2008 12:30 PM by pooley-santos Star rating in London UK/Huercal Ov.... 58 posts Send private message

For goodness sakes; anyone reading through this could end up suicidal! Please lets keep this in perspective, there is certainly going to be a slow down in property sales in both Spain and the UK; my view? Good - it will hopefully cause the demise of all the cowboy agents and developers that have proliferated in Spain for all to long and in the UK hopefully bring some semblence of sense to property prices! UK property prices are totally unreal, my own UK house is now 'valued' at a figure that if I didn't already own it I could certainly never afford to buy it! 

I suppose the big question for Spain is just how much is the market going to slow? I confess it was a concern, so much so that for the first time ever we were going to exhibit at the UK property shows having previously always relied on referrals from existing customers; I needn't have worried. What we are doing is giving a guarenteed 1-40 euro exchange rate to the pound, ouch! But we can suffer that and we are busier than we have ever been, our presence at the UK shows has been cancelled!

Yes things are going to be 'tighter' than they have been historically, much tighter but please lets keep this all in perspective; ask yourself these questions, 1) Can you still afford to eat next week? 2) Will you still have a roof over your head in 7 days time? 3) Are you and your family in good health? If you have answered yes, then what else really matters?

Like 0      
27 Dec 2007 7:13 PM by patpur Star rating in Castle Bromwich Bir.... 389 posts Send private message

Yes TJ222 l have been watching this closely lately (and l bet everyone else has with horror at the pound hitting record lows against the euro latest  1.36 ish) as you say it is making everything more expensive with prices already to high for properties l can see many new buyers pulling out as there purchase has risen thousands of pounds in a declining market,just how low can the exchange rate go? Pat  

Like 0      
24 Dec 2007 10:45 AM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

Another rather ominous development is the pounds collapse against the Euro this year. Since the middle of the year the GBP has depreciated by nearly 10% against the Euro. This means british buyers are faceing a 10% increase in the price of Spainish property, even with prices flat.

Sterling is falling as markets anticipate a dramatic slowdown in residential property prices next year in the UK, and the BOE is forced to slash interest rates to prop up the economy. And I thought it was the BOEs job just to target inflation, more like trying to save Brown's backside.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2007 9:50 AM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

http://marketoracle.co.uk/Article3162.html

Britain's fourth biggest insurer, Friends Provident froze its Property Fund on Thursday, thereby denying over 110,000 investors the ability to liquidate their investments. The property fund has an estimated value of more than £1.2 billion or $2.5 billions. The insurance company stated that investors will not be able to gain access to their funds for a period of six months due to a sharp fall in its cash reserves as investors took fright from the collapsing UK housing market, both residential and commercial.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2007 9:38 AM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

From The Times December 24, 2007

Housebuilders dig in for deep freeze in residential property
Judith Heywood and Patrick Hosking

The slide in house prices is gathering pace, a survey suggests today, amid signs that housebuilders are digging in for a prolonged residential property freeze. Tulloch Homes, a medium-sized Scottish housebuilder, pulled plans yesterday for a £200 million flotation, and Taylor Wimpey is understood to have ordered a halt to any new land acquisitions.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/construction_and_property/article3090651.ece

Like 0      
24 Dec 2007 9:06 AM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

Crisis may make 1929 look a 'walk in the park'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml;jsessionid=QEZRLBFF2O0OHQFIQMFCFFOAVCBQYIV0?xml=/money/2007/12/23/cccrisis123.xml&page=1

As central banks continue to splash their cash over the system, so far to little effect, Ambrose Evans-Pritchard argues things are rapidly spiralling out of their control

Twenty billion dollars here, $20bn there, and a lush half-trillion from the European Central Bank at give-away rates for Christmas. Buckets of liquidity are being splashed over the North Atlantic banking system, so far with meagre or fleeting effects.

As the credit paralysis stretches through its fifth month, a chorus of economists has begun to warn that the world's central banks are fighting the wrong war, and perhaps risk a policy error of epochal proportions.

"The central banks are rapidly losing control. By not cutting interest rates nearly far enough or fast enough, they are allowing the money markets to dictate policy. We are long past worrying about moral hazard," he says.

"They still have another couple of months before this starts imploding. Things are very unstable and can move incredibly fast. I don't think the central banks are going to make a major policy error, but if they do, this could make 1929 look like a walk in the park," he adds

Bernard Connolly, global strategist at Banque AIG, said the Fed and allies had scripted a Greek tragedy by under-pricing credit long ago and seem paralysed as post-bubble chickens now come home to roost. "The central banks are trying to dissociate financial problems from the real economy. They are pushing the world nearer and nearer to the edge of depression. We hope they will eventually be dragged kicking and screaming to do enough, but time is running out," he said

Tim Congdon, a banking historian at the London School of Economics, said the rot had seeped through the foundations of British lending.

Average equity capital has fallen to 3.2 per cent (nearer 2.5 per cent sans "goodwill"), compared with 5 per cent seven years ago. "How on earth did the Financial Services Authority let this happen?" he asks.

Worse, changes pushed through by Gordon Brown in 1998 have caused the de facto cash and liquid assets ratio to collapse from post-war levels above 30 per cent to near zero. "Brown hadn't got a clue what he was doing," he says.

The risk for Britain - as property buckles - is a twin banking and fiscal squeeze. The UK budget deficit is already 3 per cent of GDP at the peak of the economic cycle, shockingly out of line with its peers. America looks frugal by comparison.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2007 1:22 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

As my partner and I are keen gareners, we are seeking a property with a lot of land. As all prime location properties in this class are already taken and way beyond our financial means, we are looking at locations that are aside of the tourist trail. We've been looking in the inland parts of Valencia and Alicante where we have seen some beautiful spots at very modest prices. Of course we must also factor in the costs of renovating waht is essentially a ruin and also procuring water and electricity.

At the monet we're not seeking to invest immediately but are still looking around for the perfect place. We've seen many acceptable places of well over a hectare for under 30,000 Euros, which is the sort of money most people can easily borrow without having to calculate the risks, or can even save up if they put in some effort. Add double that amount for the renovation, but you don't have to do that in one go - and you're in business.

This may not be the location, location, location, approach but it is affordable and we're not seeking an investment, we just want to have a nice place to spend our holidays and I don't really care what its worth once I've payed for it.

It's all this thinking "get rich by working the property ladder" that is the cause of this problem and its bound to collapse at some point.

If you've got money to spare, invcest it in shares, in a business or something similar. Your property is part of your quality of life. Pay the price that it's worth to you. Don't see it as your key to getting rich. You won't get rich that way, those days are over.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2007 11:57 AM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

Magiconomic days are over and blame game has begun

By Jeff Randall
The UK housing market is past its peak and heading south. House prices went up by about 150pc in 10 years, wages by a small fraction of that. An idiot in a hurry could see that the maths didn't work, yet experts kept insisting that demand would force prices ever higher.

The demand was there, I agree. As an abstract concept, it still is. But in order to fulfil demand, consumers need the ability to pay. The average buyer didn't have £200,000 stuffed in a jam jar, so he borrowed as much as he could. Not any more. The credit crunch has kiboshed super-stretch mortgages.

This lifts the curtain on an important part of the Brown Boom deception, which was that rising house prices made us all richer. It seemed like free money; it wasn't. Unfortunately large numbers of headstrong consumers behaved as if it was, sucking out equity from their homes to finance consumption.

Those who traded a chunk of bricks and mortar for a blast on the beach are about to feel much poorer. The money has gone. So have the tan and the feelgood factor. The debt, however, remains.

The Bank of England reports that nearly one million families are struggling to meet mortgage commitments. Rising interest rates have increased collective mortgage bills by £3.6bn. As household budgets come under pressure, one in 10 borrowers is taking on even more debt in order to stay afloat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/12/19/ccjeff119.xml

Like 0      
14 Dec 2007 11:43 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hola TJ - not so much an all over tan as all over rust! Bloomin rain!!!

Hey ho - had to happen sometime, couldnt have 25 degrees blue sky and sun ALL the time could we, just wasnt so fair on the brits at home!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to thread - agree, buy for yourselves and not for SHORT term invesment, taking a mid to long term view is fine - check out the time spacing between peaks and troughs and if you retire at a peak then sell and rent!

Otherwise, just buy and enjoy the damn thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nearly Christmas!!!!!!!!!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 9:23 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi All,

Just echoes the posts we have been putting forward on the forum for the last 18 months plus.

DO NOT BUY FOR INVESTMENT PURPOSES ONLY AND DO NOT RELY ON RENTAL INCOME. SIMPLE AS THAT.

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 1:55 PM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

Hi Rixxy

Sensible post as usual, you are I suspect someone who can give a realistic view of the mkt.

Hope you are well and managing to maintain the all over tan!

There gone and done it now, wrecked the thread again lol.

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 12:38 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Guys - I do love these heady debates. Very interesting and views mirroring my own from the outset and partially what spurred me on to launch my business.

I can report that investors are all holding back - I speak to numerous regularly, as the general consensus is that there is more to fall down.

I notice with interest the last figures produced with regards to 'increases in property prices' was in the positive, but I am convinced this is because of sellers having to declare the true value now! So, false increases from old devlared price to the new actaul price, even though a loss may have occured, on paper is shown as an increase.

Totally agree with you Tim and for the reason above, we will start to see the true prices differentials coming out - finally the selling price against the real old purchase price and therefore a true state of the market.

We are only selling stock where owners are losing money - last deal had the seller lose 55,000 euros against his purchase earlier this year - and that did not include his costs of purchasing! He was able to put it against a tax bill in Ireland, so slightly diferent situation, but also interesting is the latest sales are to buyers who are wanting to live here, already live here and decided to buy or people for second home use not actually bothered about renting.

This coming year will see a lot more falling out of bed wioth their lenders and an awful lot of stock on the market!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Code of Conduct. - 2 posts
Morerosado's 1000th Post - Congratulations! - 10 posts
'Evening' classes - 2 posts
Licence update - 11 posts
Completion - 2 posts
Mortgage valuations - 1 posts
ACCIDENT IN MARBELLA FRIDAY 17TH AUGUST - 3 posts
Be careful of promises from agents! - 10 posts
Legal or not? - 2 posts
New blow-in, the litter and the Car Hire Fuel Charges - 25 posts
Renting a property - 7 posts
child care - 0 posts
Cash Payments - 5 posts
Barry - 0 posts
Does anyone use an escrow service or similar for holiday rentals? - 2 posts
What else do we need for renting? - 11 posts
Shops and a Restaurant ??? - 0 posts
Viva estates watch - 11 posts
Long term Rental Cabopino to Elviria Desperatley needed - 1 posts
Which air-conditioning do you recommend? - 9 posts
Why the star system - 2 posts
BEACH RECOMMENDATION - CDS - 14 posts
POWER OF ATTORNEY - 12 posts
Ambasun - 23 posts
Help! How can i help pensioner with country house deed problem? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 716

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x