The coming worldwide credit crunch

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Feb 2008 1:15 PM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

So a pound sterling was worth one pound of silver in honest money days.

So lets do some quick simple calcs:

Silver is currently around 8.5pounds an ounce. There are I think 16 ounces in a pound.

So Silver is now 8.5 times 16 per pound sterling

About 128 pounds sterling a pound.of Silver.

So the Great British Pound has lost so much value its not even worth 1p compared to its original value.

What does this mean - well it that if you want to get wealthy and stay wealthy you have to invest in something of value that cannot be meaningfully increased in supply.

This rules out Spainish property, Euros, Pounds, dollars and Wide screen TVs. All of which can be manufactured at will.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 1:25 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

thats cheating,its easy to say what not to after the fact...........

Tell us o wise one what is the answer,what do we buy............

By saying this i do take it that you are a multi millionaire and are going to let us in on your tried and tested get rich sheme.........

By the way as you "work in the city"  how do you get so much time off and get back to Spain so quickly............

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 1:29 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Yeah - a bit like divorce really! After the fact!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 1:38 PM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

thats cheating,its easy to say what not to after the fact...........

Tell us o wise one what is the answer,what do we buy............

By saying this i do take it that you are a multi millionaire and are going to let us in on your tried and tested get rich sheme.........

By the way as you "work in the city"  how do you get so much time off and get back to Spain so quickly............

Wow - thats a bit cynical. I'm not trying to sell anything, unlike most people on here.

If you have to know I put work in the City in quotes because my work used to be in the investment circle, traded options, equity derivatives.

I can spend my time now in Spain cos I'm retired. Too busy bringing up little girls lol. 

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 1:48 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

sorry wasn't meant to be cynical.

I was just asking for an educated decision and your thoughts on what to put your money into..........

After all,we have worthless money,live in our worthless houses,our stocks are collapsing,we drive around in our devaluing cars drinking through magic straws!!!

just wondered if you had the answer......................

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:01 PM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

What I'm trying to get across, obviously rather unsucessfully is that people are obsessed with the amount of euros or dollars or pounds that they have, or how much their property is worth. But in an inflationary environment, its not what matters.

If the government are insistant on turning our money to confetti, then in a few years time we could all be earning a million pounds a year, but if a sandwich cost 1000pounds, its not going to help alot.

When i was a kid, a millionaire was someone really rich, now they are two a penny. You have to have hundreds of millions before you get on any list now.

I am jsut trying to help people get off the hamster wheel of life, where people work harder and harder but just don't seem to get ahead. But as you say it does not seem to be working. Time to sit in the sun and have a cup of tea, if I can afford it.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:07 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Bricks and Mortar was always what prospective farthers-in-law would tell me whilst warming their arses and flexing their braces in front of the fire. They never said buy gold, though their daughters did!

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Well I'm making TJ a trophy for his 100th post, hope it never devalues.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
What's a  farthers-in-law Gillespie ?

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:17 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
That´s how we used to talk in the olden days in Norforrrk oooarrr more. I never really listened to them as the thought of dashing upstairs to the daughters bedroom for a game of tonsil hockey was always on my mind. ;+)

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:17 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I think we have crossed purposes TJ,

The whole idea of Spain is to do exactly what you state..............

I couldn't agree with you more,people come here for the life and to escape the rat race,they try to enjoy every second and look for a pleasant enviroment for both their families and in retirement.

We shouldnt have to worry about how much a €1.20 cafe con leche is worth,can you measure worth on a level of enjoyment.

I was the same as you in the UK work work work,2 cars,3 cars,big house,bigger house.......................

Does it make you smile?maybe for a split second.

I take your point with investors but nowadays the core of people moving here are looking for something they have lost.

A walk on the beach a longer life expectancy and happy smiley children will always have the same value,priceless.

Your posts are very informative and i wouldn't doubt for one minute that you know your stuff.

I just think we measure and value things at the moment in a different way.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
GREAT POST, GEORGIA.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:32 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Thanks more,

I think i misunderstood a lot of TJ posts,i think we are actually"singing from the same hymnsheet" in a strange sort of way.

This is such a good forum i just dont want people to stay away as they feel there can be too much doom and gloom at times.

I think the word "priorities" sums it up......

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:33 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
I would always tell my children to get on the property ladder as soon as possible. I can´t think of a single instance when not doing so has benefited someone. Renting is a false economy buying property is rock solid future investment always.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:36 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Bit like Italian Lira then TJ!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:37 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

People should be sensible enough to see past the doom & gloom though & just take notice of all the advice, others thoughts & GOOD NEWS etc, Georgia. (With apologies to those who are experiencing the immense difficulties of purchasing in their case because of corruption etc. I am speaking about propective purchasers looking for sound advice).

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/8/2008.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:38 PM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

"I was the same as you in the UK work work work,2 cars,3 cars,big house,bigger house......................."

Oh dear final post on this subject then I must get that cup of tea.

Its understanding the monetary system that enables me to retire to Spain and put my feet up in the sun. Do you see me work work work, 2cars 3cars etc - I'm retired from 9-5. I don't have to work, but chose to do lots of things to keep me active and content.

Precisely because I understand the way things work in this crooked world, I am doing the very opposite of work work work. I can watch my girls grow up and spend my time with my family enjoying Spain and those other things that your rightly say are so valuable. last year we travelled across Western australia in a campervan (mad or what) and two years before that when we had no kids, we travelled around the world and ended up in Thailand.

I'm not trying to be smug, just trying to help, because if everyone understood the system, then we would all vote in some decent politicians and have within a few years a much much better standard of living. There would be no more inflation and people could get off the rat race.

Instead the average Joe knows next to nothing about economics, so we have clowns like Bush, Brown and Zapatero that will before they are finished have most of us in abject poverty.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:41 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Buying for investment is quite different to buying for personal use. I suspect many of those who post negatively about Property in Spain have had their greedy little fingers burned. There are exceptions but not many, few have lost money on their main residences over a 5 year period.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 2:49 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Tj,

When i said about work i was refering to both of us in the past tense.

I obviously know you live in Spain,i was talking about our similarities not our differences..................

As i said we obviously do have the same ideals at heart.

If us average Joe's knew exactly what was happening in central government do you not think we would be very concerned and probably never sleep again,some times ignorance is bliss........

Like 0      
08 Feb 2008 3:18 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

"Bricks and Mortar was always what prospective farthers-in-law would tell me whilst warming their arses and flexing their braces in front of the fire. They never said buy gold, though their daughters did!"

Gillespie,

Taken your advice, had some spare cash so Wickes are delivering 2 packs of bricks, 3 bags cement and 1 of sand tomorrow, how long should I keep them before selling on and making a profit?   

Kelju

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Code of Conduct. - 2 posts
Morerosado's 1000th Post - Congratulations! - 10 posts
'Evening' classes - 2 posts
Licence update - 11 posts
Completion - 2 posts
Mortgage valuations - 1 posts
ACCIDENT IN MARBELLA FRIDAY 17TH AUGUST - 3 posts
Be careful of promises from agents! - 10 posts
Legal or not? - 2 posts
New blow-in, the litter and the Car Hire Fuel Charges - 25 posts
Renting a property - 7 posts
child care - 0 posts
Cash Payments - 5 posts
Barry - 0 posts
Does anyone use an escrow service or similar for holiday rentals? - 2 posts
What else do we need for renting? - 11 posts
Shops and a Restaurant ??? - 0 posts
Viva estates watch - 11 posts
Long term Rental Cabopino to Elviria Desperatley needed - 1 posts
Which air-conditioning do you recommend? - 9 posts
Why the star system - 2 posts
BEACH RECOMMENDATION - CDS - 14 posts
POWER OF ATTORNEY - 12 posts
Ambasun - 23 posts
Help! How can i help pensioner with country house deed problem? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 716

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x