It's that 720 time again!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Mar 2015 3:52 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Looking at various forums and info sites, it seems that there are more than just Three categories ; some list insurance policies  and annuities as a separate category; if so this could make a considerable difference as to whether a 720 has to be submitted , as if they are included in the investments category, along with other assets they could add up to more than 50 k, whereas if they  are in a separate category , then a small annuity of less than 50 k would not have to be included.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2015 3:14 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The Brussels Declaration, called EU Pilot 5652/13 / TAXU, concluded that the law governing 720 tax declaration infringed Community law in two aspects: the penalty system as non proportionate and its applicability as sanctions possibilities do not expire.  

Brussels has expressly stated that "intends to deepen this aspect of research and propose the opening of an infringement procedure"

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
30 Apr 2015 11:10 AM by owenant Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Is there an english translation available of the statute to see what exactly the rules are?

In a colleagues case she bought a house 20 years ago for 20.000 pounds and it is now worth 150.000. As i understand it she does not have to declare but am I correct? and if she does have to declare what would happen if she declares now?

There are several other ex-pats in my company (language school) who are similarly confused about their pensions, property etc.. and are now scared to declare because they fear the penalties.

Like 0      
02 May 2015 9:57 AM by harddunby Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

From Camposol there should be a provision in the other direction that property purchased which is now below half the purchase price could be used in mitigation of assets.

Like 0      
02 May 2015 10:26 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

The modelo 720 is a declaration of foreign assets. Be a bit silly sticking a property in Camposol on that list.

And you don't get taxed on those assets, anyway. Only profits you make from those assets like interest and rental income etc.

Like 1      
02 May 2015 10:30 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Just because you declare your assets on form 720 does not necessarily mean you will be taxed on them. The form is simply designed to inform the Hacienda you hold such assets. Of course your income declaration needs to reflect what income these assets actually produce if any.

Like 0      
02 May 2015 3:07 PM by swinb Star rating in girona. 9 posts Send private message

I know that if any asset class increases my more than 25K then we should make a new revised declaration. But Another issue with the Modelo 720 which is not clear is should you make a new declaration if for example when a Bond has matured and ended (spent the proceeds) ie assets decreased . Surely the Hacienda does not expect us to pay a gestor /assessoria to submit an amended 720 to declare an asset  no longer exists. They can hardly fine us for non declaration of something that no longer exists.?? Anyone got a take on this?

Like 0      
02 May 2015 4:39 PM by Nels Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

My thoughts on the assets decreased situation are simply keep ALL paperwork relating to it's disposal, dates etc., and not bother to declare it's closure. If at some future date, or if as I believe, governments get their departments together, any questions asked by them can be suitably dealt with. I must say however, that should you change an account number due to a revised investment of an 'old' asset (in the same company) then the details can be given by 'normal' declaration when we make our annual returns. This I think should surely satisfy the Hacienda. If you find an honest Gestor then you could ask for their opinion, but not forgetting they are always looking for business.

With regard to increases 20k (I think,) if you have a joint account the figure of 20k applies for both of you, not each. 

Like 0      
02 May 2015 4:57 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Swinb

Your case is a great example of why the Spanish introduced this requirement. Im assuming you are a tax resident otherwise you wouldn't of filed a 720. No matter what the tax status for your maturing bond was in the UK, here in Spain I'm pretty sure it would be classed as unearned income and tax would be payable on it at your marginal rate. 

Yes, you have to make a new 720 if you dispose of an asset, Its to late this year as it needed to be filed by the end of March for the financial year ending 31st Dec 2014 - had you of filed it, the tax office would of been looking to see the proceeds accounted for on your annual tax return due in the May/June. Maybe your bond didn't mature until 2015wink

Sorry, that's my take, maybe you should get professional advice

Like 0      
02 May 2015 7:41 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Nels- the 20 k increase is for EACH of you, not both, and remember the exchange rate may tip you over

owenant- you only declare the  price of the property when you aquired it it, even if it is worth well over the limit now .

not logical in my opinion, as other assets have to be valued as at 31st December of the year before.

if people are confused why not go to an accountant or ask financial advisors such as  Blevins Franks.

There has been so much info on this that no one needs to be ignorant these days, and it is silly just to do nothing.

This message was last edited by camposol on 02/05/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

finca and inland Alicante life - 0 posts
Helo Android TV good by Satellite TV - 20 posts
Where can I watch Six Nations Rugby on Saturday 21st mijas , fuengirola, el faro area pls - 14 posts
Mazarron Area - 2 posts
Driving over to Spain and leaving the car on private land - 4 posts
3 Million Year Old Jawbone Found In Ethiopia - 0 posts
Road tax - 2 posts
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 - 0 posts
Things That I Like And Dislike About Spain - 53 posts
Power shift with Iberdrola - 7 posts
calculation of capital gains tax - 2 posts
Sold up and still waiting for 3% Retention Tax - 5 posts
40,000 signatures collected for Palomares nuclear fall-out clean-up - 77 posts
Would you buy a property .......? - 4 posts
air lock in water heater! - 23 posts
Bank Transfers within Spain - How long does it take - 8 posts
Sewage Smell - 0 posts
community fees - 6 posts
Looking for an appartment to buy - 6 posts
NI Contributions after pensionable age. - 1 posts
Torrevieja Forum - now charging to join - 4 posts
Return from Spain to the UK and back to Spain e.g. circular migration - 0 posts
renew (not exchange) old uk paper licence in spain - 5 posts
Another 'Leisure Park'? - 1 posts
Death duty/Tax non residents - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x