renew (not exchange) old uk paper licence in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Feb 2015 1:52 PM by barceway Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi,

Regarding the new requirement to exchange or renew a UK driving licence.
I would prefer to renew my UK driving licence rather than exchange for a Spanish one as I will be leaving Spain this year. I have a couple of questions.

1. I don't have a photocard licence, I have the UK old pink/green paper licence valid until 2038. Can I renew this type of licence?
2. If it can be renewed, what do they do with it. Do they stamp it or something, do I get to keep it?

thanks for any iinfo

Like 0      
26 Feb 2015 2:32 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Well, you can't do it in Spain.  Only the new UK/EU photocard licence is valid in Spain if you live here and you can only renew those in UK with a UK address as your main residence.  If you're leaving Spain this year it would be pointless changing it anyway. Might just hope you don't get stopped and, if you do, that they believe you're just a visitor. The only thing they would do here is swap it for a Spanish one and then you'd have to swap it back when you return to UK. 

Like 0      
26 Feb 2015 2:43 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

1. I don't have a photocard licence, I have the UK old pink/green paper licence valid until 2038. Can I renew this type of licence?
2. If it can be renewed, what do they do with it. Do they stamp it or something, do I get to keep it?

When you renew the paper one for any reason you will get in exchange a photo card plastic credit card type, you probably wont be issued with the extra paper part as that is being phased out soon.

They will give you your old big UK paper license back, but you have to tell them you want it back or they  will destroy it.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2015 9:52 AM by casalinda Star rating in Las Alpujarras. 54 posts Send private message

What is the process in Andalucia for obtaining a Spanish licence? We have not done this but got turned down fr car hire at Glasgow airport because of being Spanish residents but with an English address on oour driving licences...need to get up-to-date!!

Like 0      
28 Feb 2015 3:48 PM by txakoli Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

I exchanged my UK licence for a Spanish one 2 years ago.  Went to 'Trafico' in Bilbao with the British licence (+ paper one).  Filled in some forms, gave them a 'passport type photo, paid €22, and was given a temporary licence until the Spanish one was sent, about 2 weeks later.  The Spanish plastic one is identical to the British one except of course it has E on it instead of GB.  They kept the paper version, which I believe is being done away with in Britain;  correct me if I'm wrong on that.

It was one of the easier paper transactions I've done in Spain.  As I go back to UK every 3 months to visit my mother, and hire a car, I've never had any problem in hiring a car when they ask for your licence.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2015 4:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I met a resident Brit a couple of weeks ago.  (He was a very reasonable guy so I guess he would have been polite to the police) .  He had been fined 200€,  for not having exchanged his UK paper DL. The last permitted day for him to have done it was about 10 days before he was stopped.

Casalinda.  You must have an appoinment now if you go to Trafico in Malaga, even to ask a question.  Call 060 to make the appoinement.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 28/02/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Another 'Leisure Park'? - 1 posts
Death duty/Tax non residents - 8 posts
Brits can claim the dole money in Spain - 4 posts
Relocation Information - 0 posts
Threat of jail for using swimming pool - 5 posts
Inheritance - 1 posts
Payment of Fees to vote at AGM - 2 posts
Long Term Rental - 0 posts
Android tv box use in costa blanca - 37 posts
Obtaining my NIE in Murcia - 3 posts
iberia Flights Malaga - Madrid - Manchester - 3 posts
apprenticeships in catering - 2 posts
Squatters - 14 posts
The new forum for Almeria - 0 posts
Electricity Costs in Spain - 2 posts
Exchange rate - 3 posts
If i've paid for information - should my lawyer allow me to see it? - 10 posts
Sell in Spain - 22 posts
car hire Malaga airport with Europcar - 4 posts
Ex Pats are on a roll...... - 19 posts
Elderly care? - 5 posts
Pool Fence questions? - 0 posts
Stair lifts - 0 posts
Hello Almerimar, Almeria - 1 posts
Spanish Judge Violates Global Rule, Makes Bank President & Former IMF Chief Pay for Financial Crimes - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x