Anything to look out for when buying a new TV to connect to IPTV?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Apr 2014 8:13 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

I am going to buy my Son a new TV for his apartment when we visit in June and have been looking online at the ones available from Eroski and Carrefour.  I will buy a recogniseable name e.g. Samsung, LG etc., but the community where my Son is on the Costa Del Sol are looking to provide UK TV via Wikiker  and I believe some sort of IPTV box.

I would really appreciate any opinions over what features I should be looking for from a TV that might enhance the IPTV proposition and equally, are there any features that are not necessary if the signal is via IPTV?

Thanks

Kelju

Like 0      
18 Apr 2014 12:43 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

Hi, I purchased a 37 " Samsung hdtv a couple of years ago and am delighted with it. For iptv or to attach any android tv box an hdmi connection on the tv is essential. My Samsung has 4 of them plus a usb. hope this helps.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2014 12:47 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar
Thanks nicbax, I will bear in mind the hdmi connections.

Anyone know if I should be looking for a smart TV or will the IPTV box do what a smart TV does. I really don't know enough about smart and IPTV to make a decision.

Thanks

Like 0      
18 Apr 2014 3:36 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 194 posts Send private message

I dont know the difference in price between a "Smart" tv and non but I think if you buy an android box which is pre-loaded with numerous apps such as "Filmon" then this does turn your tv into a "Smart" tv..

My understanding is that iptv is just a box such as Mag250 which is connected to your tv by hdmi cable and uk tv channels are streamed to the box by hard wire or wifi. Iptv doesnt make you tv "Smart"

Have a look on ebay and amazon for android tv boxes that are already pre-loaded with loads of apps

Should any of the above be wrong I am certain I shall stand to be corrected.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2014 3:38 PM by CostaBlade Star rating in Riviera. 114 posts Send private message

Just make sure you buy a "smart TV" everything will work from that.

I don't know where on the Costa del Sol he lives, but if Wikiker are close to where he lives he might be lucky and live in an urbanisation that has "fibre optic" installed in which case Wki' will supply the TV chanels via that. Either way a "smart TV" is what you need.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2014 7:06 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks both for the information, I believe that it is 'fibre optic' that is going to be installed by Wikiker in the next 2 to 3 months, so it sounds like a 'Smart' TV is the way to go.

kelju

Like 0      
18 Apr 2014 7:29 PM by fonziedas Star rating. 55 posts Send private message

I think most tv's nowadays are so called smart, the problem with a smart tv is that you can only download the apps the manufacturer of the tv is prepared to develop and share,

when you buy an android box, you can have any app you will find in the Google store, and believe me, that makes your tv a lot smarter then any smart tv out there, all you need is a tv with HDMI, and nowadays every tv has at least one HDMI.

if you want to watch BBC and ITV you don't need anything else, you can watch them on Filmon, even in your browser, I watch BBC on Filmon everyday when I'm in Spain, in my browser full screen, my internet connection is only 6 Mbits, that's moren then enough for Filmon.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 8:48 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks for the info fonziedas

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Join 'Duquesa Astronomical Society' - 0 posts
Astronomy Group - Duquesa/Manilva/Estepona & San Pedro - 0 posts
1.5bn Euro of EU money goes missing in Spain - 6 posts
Reclaim IVA on new car? - 4 posts
The economy is looking good in the U.K - 12 posts
transfer to spanish plates - 3 posts
NAME AND SHAME - 32 posts
Will this incompetence ever end? - 26 posts
Growing loquat (nisperos) in the UK - 10 posts
Bargain - 2 posts
Homes Sales Down 27.6% in February - 0 posts
Banks are giving 100% mortgages again.... - 1 posts
Good Experiences with Tour operators - 0 posts
Outbuilding and workshops - 2 posts
Audio recording of AGM - 1 posts
Electricity Bills - 6 posts
Professional EFL Teacher – Looking for legal employment - 3 posts
Floor Clause - 0 posts
Something new. Something different. An introduction thread! - 3 posts
Possible changes to tax allowances in UK, and IHT in Spain - 13 posts
Crime in gated and non-gated communities - 1 posts
spanish health care - 3 posts
Mosquito screens & security shutters/grills plus window bars/grills - 4 posts
How to report loose dogs. - 12 posts
VPN Server - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x