spanish health care

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Apr 2014 5:07 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, My Wife and I have registered with the INSS at Fuengirola and have recieved an A4 sheet of paper telling us we are registered for health care.

I understood that we would each recieve a medical card which we would need to take to our local GP in La Cala to register with him/her.

May I ask from whom we obtain medical cards, do we need to make an appointment with the gp and should we take an interpretor with us. Thanks.

My questions are

Like 0      
10 Apr 2014 6:17 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Did you register with your S1 forms received from Newcastle?

If so, you should be on the system. In this area, a temporary healthcard is issued and I assume that the paper you have is one of those. It can take up to 3 months for the permanent card to come through. The permanent card also has the name of the doctor you are registered with on the back.

Regarding interpreters. Whilst many reception staff speak English, we generally found the doctors wouldn't so an interpreter was required. I think many of the doctors are a bit wary of giving wrong information due to language errors. My husband speaks Spanish and comes with me to interpret. Now that we have been here for some years, the GP does now speak to me in English. Quite funny sometimes as she explains things in Spanish to my husband and then tells me the same thing in English.

This message was last edited by mariedav on 10/04/2014.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2014 11:48 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi Mariedav, Thanks for that. Yes we registered with our S1 forms. The papers we have recieved confirms we have been granted spanish health care so presumably we can produce those should we need medical care prior to recieving our health cards.

Interesting to note that we are assigned a gp. I understood that we needed to go to our local health clinic to register.

Perhaps the spanish are becoming better organised!!!!!!

Like 0      
11 Apr 2014 8:54 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

As I said, we actually had a temporary health card which was a credit sized piece of cardboard until the plastic cards came through. We were automatically registered at the nearest medical centre so there was no need to go in person to register. 

Of course, the system may be different in your area so you might wish to ask one of your neighbours to confirm this.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mosquito screens & security shutters/grills plus window bars/grills - 4 posts
How to report loose dogs. - 12 posts
VPN Server - 0 posts
getting marriage blessed in spain - 0 posts
Vista Hermosa Pramanga Court Ruling - 0 posts
Barclays online - 22 posts
You will never text and drive again after watching this. - 2 posts
easyJet Flights Oct -Feb '15 - 0 posts
Scammed - 7 posts
Cortijo de Torreblanca - case submitted to the court of first instance - 15 posts
3.4 million empty homes....where are they? - 44 posts
What if I sell ? - 0 posts
Builder illegally connected electricity - 7 posts
Looking for a job - 1 posts
nigella lawson usa - 7 posts
itv - 2 posts
Malaga airport departures questionnaire - 36 posts
Alicanti Airport .. Gold Car .. unused fuel process - 6 posts
contract phone - 16 posts
Corvera Airport - 12 posts
SECURITY DEPOSIT ON RENTAL PROPERTIES IN THE VALENCIAN COMMUNITY - 2 posts
Opening a Bar Restaurant on Costa Blanca - 3 posts
Community Voting - 3 posts
Driving to Spain with dogs - 4 posts
Car hire with pick up after midnight at Malaga airport - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x