How does a Community Work?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jun 2008 12:40 AM by liz Elford Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi all
We have our AGM in a few weeks, can anyone assist a problem we may have please? The current president has returned to the Uk and the vice president does not want to stand, what happens if no one decides to take on the presidency?? Any help would be grateful in answering this 
Thanks

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 8:53 AM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

I think it's down to picking a residents name out of a hat.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 9:13 PM by deniseatnycs Star rating in Sol Golf Nr Villamar.... 136 posts Send private message

deniseatnycs´s avatar
Yes Dennismundy is right!   
I cannot imagine anything worse than a President who does not want the job, as it is hard enough for those that do.  Can you as a Community not rally round and let the Vice President know that you will all help as much as possible if he stands (thats if you will of course).  I have even heard of owners paying their Comunity fees all but one euro  (because as debtors they cannot be elected to stop their names being entered into the draw!

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 10:14 PM by liz Elford Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Like many communitiesthe first year has presented many teething problems that our vice president had to take over when the president returned to the UK. She has done a super job but we have been told due to work commitments she cannot dedicate the time. As we are non residents only spending holidays in Spain we have offered to set up a newsletter to lighten the load and contribute in this way as we cannot be there 52 weeks of the year.
We had heard that it will literally mean picking somone out of a hat but does that mean all community members names are entered or only those living in Spain on a permanent basis?
Gracias

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 10:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Strictly speaking, everyone has to take their turn, and if nobody volunteers, all the names go in the hat. Of course, it's not usually in the best interest of the community to have an absent president, but it does happen. Maybe you can have a committee to share the work load. You can elect more than one vice-president, for example, and then delegate various tasks to them.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Jun 2008 9:37 PM by celtelf2 Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Hi all
Can anyone tell me if there has to be a certain number of members to form a committee, following our first AGM which we had to vote by proxy have been told we have three members which consist of the President, Vice President and another member, when asked by an interested party about becoming a committee member they were told they had not listened during the meeting and therefore the committee had now been established, there was no seconding of any of these positions and know that the person making the request would have listenend intently when being asked for new members.
any help greatly received?

Like 0      
27 Jun 2008 5:04 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Every community must have a President - but vice president/s, secretary, administrator etc. are discretionary. In other words, it's up to the community whether or not to appoint other positions, and this will be voted for (by majority vote) during the AGM. The term of office for the elected governing body is one year, so unless an extra-ordinary meeting can be convened, you'll have to wait for the next AGM to volunteer your services. 

Incidentally, the election of officials is usually a major item on the agenda, and hard to miss, because there's usually a stoney silence when volunteers are asked for! 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jun 2008 9:27 PM by celtelf2 Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Thanks Roberto for your help
I dont think the meeting was conducted properly, my husband is the chairman of our local scout group and the AGM for this was conducted more officially than our community AGM. We now have a husband and wife team, the wife did a super job last year but a little concerned as her partner lacks the people skills required and has upset many residents and non residents so i guess we will have to see how the year progresses. I will make sure I am able to attend next years meeting.
Gracias

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 4:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Welcome to Spain!
Community meetings here are notoriously riotous affairs. Everyone has stories to tell. Our first experience of community meetings ended with a fist fight between one owner and the developer, that had to be broken up by other members present. I've attended meetings as president, and it's nigh on impossible to keep any kind of order if there are more than two Spaniards present. I've had meetings with our developer, constructor, architect etc., and it's always the same. This ain't Germany - get used to it! Just learn to shout louder and talk over others, and if you can make a bit more noise by, for example, banging your palms on the table, so much the better.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 5:27 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I didn't think you could have 2 'officials' from the same house or apartment?

If you just have one vote per house/apartment then only ONE person can be an 'official' surely?

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 5:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
One property - one vote! True, but come on Karen, we know your hubby is the Big Man in your community, but we also all know that famous old saying - "Behind every great man............."

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 5:46 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
WELL BEHIND, Roberto, well behind !!   

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 7:52 PM by liz Elford Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi Karensun
Do you mean that you shouldnt have two committee members from the same residence then?

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 8:19 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
If that residence only equates to ONE VOTE then yes, only one person can be an Official.

At our AGM, 3 years ago, when my husband was voted in as Presidente, a member of our Community proposed that I should be on the Committee ( not with my permission!! ) and we were told that this could not happen in Spanish Law.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 9:49 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if an AGM is held in Spanish (obviously being in Spain!) but there is no translator for non-Spanish speakers, can the proceedings be declared null and void on the grounds that not everyone understood what was going on and were therefore excluded despite being present?

Poppyseed

Like 0      
28 Jun 2008 10:29 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I'm not sure of the answer, Poppyseed, but I have sent your post to our Administrator to get advice from him.
It is certainly not good practice, we always have a translator so that everyone can understand but I suspect that this is not law but only common decency.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 12:34 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I don't think there is any legal obligation for a translator to be provided, or for documents to be written in any language other than Spanish, unless there has been a previous resolution voted and agreed upon by a majority at a community meeting. Maybe Maria can confirm this?
Of course, any member is free to bring along their own translator to a meeting.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 1:20 PM by celtelf2 Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Hi Karensun
Sorry to bother you again, what your saying basically is that only one official can be nominated for a committee per residence? If so I will e mail our administrators as its so frustrating for us being here in the Uk.
Gracias

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 3:12 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
"Does anyone know if an AGM is held in Spanish (obviously being in Spain!) but there is no translator for non-Spanish speakers, can the proceedings be declared null and void on the grounds that not everyone understood what was going on and were therefore excluded despite being present?" 

Poppyseed are you saying that if a Spanish person were at a meeting in England that a translator should be employed for him? I don't think that would happen.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2008 3:50 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Thanks for your replies and Karensun for passing it on the their adminstrator. When up to 33% of the owners are non-Spanish speakers and pay their community fees I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect to be fully informed  and included in the proceedings. Even if trying to learn the language as anyone who has been to these meetings will know they are hard to keep up with.........! But  regardless of whether a translator should be provided, I am wondering whether if not everyone understands what's going on can the meeting or decisions taken at it be declared null & void?

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 6/29/2008.

Poppyseed

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Motoring Organisations - 2 posts
Feliz Navidad - 2 posts
SuperiorworldWide ? - 1 posts
My pics - 2 posts
Is spain in france - 0 posts
INFO PLEASE - 0 posts
medication - 27 posts
angela G - 4 posts
Disablility in Torrevejeia - 0 posts
Spanish Inheritance Tax - 48 posts
Millennium Worldwide - 5 posts
EasyJet seats for summer 2007 are now being sold - 4 posts
WANTED TO RENT - 9 posts
Daily service from Gibraltar to Madrid - 0 posts
new town plan - 2 posts
Independent - 23 posts
Driving Licences - 26 posts
Electricians - 1 posts
Transporting goods to Spain - 13 posts
Skiing in Sierra Nevada - 13 posts
Electricity & Water Charges - 46 posts
Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts
long term car rental - 3 posts
New Photos from Daniela - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 178

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x