Legal Costs

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by jason2007 Star rating in Kent, plus 1/2 built.... 33 posts Send private message

Hi

I have been recommended to use a Lawyer called Maria Victoria Villafranca, by Lawbird, to try and recover my deposit.
Lawbird said they are to busy and to far away to deal with my case (Almeria).

I have been quoted a fee plus 10% of recovered funds.

This will be the first time that i will have changed Lawyers, and hopefully the last.

Has anyone heard of or used Maria Victoria Villafranca, and is the fee plus 10% standard?

Any comments would be appreciated, i've told the Lawyer i will let her know shortly if i will be using her.

Thanks

Jason

Like 0      
27 Jul 2007 4:28 PM by Rusty2712 Star rating in Benalmadena Costa. 71 posts Send private message

Hi Jason,

Not too sure about the new lawyer but Lawbird are supposed to be very good and I cannot see them recommending just anyone. Hope you get an answer from some one who knows her.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 11:13 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Jason,

I know a number of people whove recently moved to Lawbird in Marbella to take advantage of their up front fee charge plus an additional 10% win fee offer! Their fee charging basis is quite novel for Spain where scale fees normally apply? Generally, a case that goes to full trial can cost up to €10,000, plus a court barristar charge of up to €1,000. I would strongly advise you to ask for references relating to any of their successful court cases relevant to your own circumstances, particularly any that have been through the full court trial process. Just from looking at postings on this site there appear to have been a number of successful negotiated settlements out of court in the past but I'm not currently aware of any cases where full deposits have been paid back for delayed completion through the court avenue in recent times?

It would be interesting to hear how other court compensation cases are going? Our own action goes before the court in October and includes 14 properties..........

Good Luck

Mike T

This message was last edited by miket on 8/4/2007.

Mike T

Like 0      
05 Aug 2007 9:21 AM by jason2007 Star rating in Kent, plus 1/2 built.... 33 posts Send private message

Russ, Mike

Thanks for the information.
It seems that finding a good lawyer is only half the battle - you just have to hope that the judge is not a distant relative of the builder as well.
From what i've read on this and other forums, the Spanish legal system appears to be a lottery at the best of times.

Regards

Jason

Like 0      
05 Aug 2007 7:15 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

We recovered our 30% deposit + Interest + legal fees, this time last year! Our property was not built. It was supposed to be completed in July 2005. In March 2004 we were told by our then (c**p) lawyer that the property was not going to be built. We were told by these  Marbella lawyers ( and  we have written confirmation from them) that the bank guarantee  would be supplied by the developer soon after paying our deposit in October 2003. When we demanded to see a copy of the BG in March 2005, it had a date of the 15th March 2005, two days prior to the date we were told of the no build! It had a surrender date of  September 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!

We eventually found a great lawyer, who took on our case. The original lawyer did not help us one jot!  We sued the bank, not the developer as our lawyer advised that  they were less likely to run out of funds!  Even though nothing was built, we still had to go through the stress and upfront expense of a court case. The developer had refused to give us our deposit back, as they had with all the other people in our position.

The bank had 10 days to appeal against this judgement but  meanwhile had to pay the money (our 30% deposit) into the court, where it was held until the next hearing. They did appeal , but too late!  At the next hearing we were awarded our money.  At a further hearing we got 4% interest ( not the 6% our original lawyers quoted us in writing) plus our legal fees paid.

We are now in the process of suing our original lawyer for with-holding the bulk of the 7500+ euros we had to pay them upfront to take us to completion of the property, including  utilities connections.

.Our current lawyer is taking this action on our behalf.  The original lawyer failed to attend a meeting with the Collegio de Abogados or a conciliatory meeting with a judge in Marbella!! We now have a court case registered.

Good luck with your case Jason. As you say, the Spanish legal system is a Lottery....and the wheels turn V E R Y   S  L  O  W  L  Y !!

This message was last edited by Tish on 8/5/2007.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2007 11:50 AM by jason2007 Star rating in Kent, plus 1/2 built.... 33 posts Send private message

Tish

It's great to hear that justice is carried out occassionally!
We know that we still have a long way to go to hopefully get our deposit back, but the posts from members who have recovered deposits is always encouraging.

Best wishes

Jason

Like 0      
08 Aug 2007 12:54 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Jason ,our case did not cost us too much financially (emotionally it took it's toll!) as we recovered our legal costs. I think people should ask their lawyer to apply for legal costs to be taken into account in the event of a succesful outcome.   I think this has to be done in advance of the case , not afterwards.

Stay positive, it helps.

Best wishes,

Tish

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Job vacancy in Elviria, Málaga ( 8 km east from Marbella. - 3 posts
Job vacancy in Elviria, Málaga ( 8 km east of Marbella). - 0 posts
Lawyer in Ibiza - recommendation please - 0 posts
moving soon to spain help needed - 9 posts
TAPRISA 97 Torrevieja area - 3 posts
Directions from Murcia airpot to Vera - 16 posts
beverley robinson - 2 posts
Glad to be here,hello everyone. - 11 posts
How to complain about a post - 2 posts
When is a pushy developer not a pushy developer? - 26 posts
New Build Mortgage Advice - 6 posts
Driving to Spain from the UK - 29 posts
Snagging List Recommendations - 3 posts
Novo Carthago beach and golf resort, Murcia - 4 posts
hi, just joined and need some help - 7 posts
Just Joined to say.. - 24 posts
Euro Exchange - 4 posts
Up Your Street Radio launches! - 8 posts
Hello, I'm new and need information about shipping pets to Spain - 2 posts
naomi - 4 posts
Punta Prima??? or somewhere else? - 4 posts
For Sale Yamaha Cygnus Motorscooter 125cc - 1 posts
Long term rental in Spain - 1 posts
Excellent video for forums - 6 posts
Another Disney Rumour or is it?? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x