LIVING FOR 3 MONTHS AT A TIME IN sPAIN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Sep 2012 5:51 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

I concur 100% with John, the burden of proof is with the prosecution.  The Code civil des français is the French Civil Code established under Napolean in 1804.

Now we are getting onto an interesting subject ie Civil Law -v- Common Law.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
03 Sep 2012 6:11 PM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

I decided to keep my own name when I married my husband, partly because it's very important to me and partly because my name is my identity and I didn't want to lose it.  However, I'm so glad I kept it as it has proved a great help to be able to use either name when it comes to utility bills, purchasing online etc. 

BUT, what if I wanted to change my name to something I preferred....would it be that easy to change names on my bank account or, say, to pay my council tax.  Wouldn't they need legal proof before they would change it? 

Like 0      
03 Sep 2012 6:51 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Maddie there have been so many changes in banking laws since I retired, but I am pretty sure a Statutory Declaration witnessed by a solicitor/commissioner of oaths will suffice, however magistrates are reluctant to witness these documents.  Your solicitor would draw up the document for a charge.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
03 Sep 2012 7:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Maddie

As Foxy I have both said, in UK one can change their name to almost anything they want.   Exceptions are that one cannot pick a name which purports to imply a title.   So King John Smith, Sir John  or Dame Ethel Smith etc. would be out.

When I changed my name I did so as I said under Common Law. Thus, from a particular date I said as of now my name is …… …….   I then notified every one that I had done so. I got a letter from a police officer   (a person able to countersign a passport application) to say he had known me for x number years and that I had changed my name to ……. …….

Without any problem I got a new passport with my new name, no reference to my previous name. My medical records,  D/L,  credit cards etc. followed.

The only thing one cannot change is their birth certificate.

One can also change their name by making a statutory declaration in front of a magistrate.   Having made the change one can record the fact on a Deed Poll.

No matter which method one chooses all are as legal as the others.

Just one point though.   I had purchased a property in Spain in my former name. When I came to sell, as I  said, one cannot change their name under Spanish law.  The notary was not sure what to do.  To solve the problem I obtained a British visitors passport at the post office ( not possible now) in my birth name and used that when selling the property in Spain.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 03/09/2012.

Like 0      
04 Sep 2012 1:02 AM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

Thank you both for such good and informative replies.  I have been calling myself Maddie for some time now as I don't like the name my parents chose for me. Luckily it's not TOO disimilar to the nickname they call me!  Now I know what to do to make it 'legal'.....

Maddie

Like 0      
04 Sep 2012 11:15 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Sorry - away for work, and B&B wi-fi not working yesterday!
Re the point about who has to prove what, l'd sure you're right John about "them"having to prove where you were or weren't
, but having said that if challenged l suspect most or would scurry round trying to put together a package of flight reservations, hotel bookings etc to seek to prove we weren't here for the 184th night. It's the gap between the legal burden of proof, and the realities of dealing with another country's bureaucracy and the inevitable fears that throws up!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
08 Sep 2012 11:44 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

The law say in Spain ‘permanently’ for 3 months.

I have not been able to discover what that exactly means.

It means you remain in Spain continuously, without leaving, for 3 months. If you leave at the end of that period, the clock does indeed re-start. The 'registration' rule is based on consecutive days, not cumulative.  On the other hand, tax residency is based on a cumulative period.

There is of course no 'proof' available in many cases given that passports are no longer stamped, and that you can simply drive  (or even walk) over the border without any checks whatsoever. The very worst (theroretically) that can happen to an EU Citizen is that they can face a small fine for failing to register. You cannot be imprisoned, or kicked out, or barred from entry. The fine is circa 300 Euros.

Like 0      
08 Sep 2012 12:26 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I am very well aware of the legal interpretations of the meaning of a word in the UK, particularly with regard to criminal law where hairs are split by defence lawyers and then the loop-hole is plugged by a new Law, an appeal to the House of Lords, a high Court Judge or by Stated Case, etc.

In this case: OK if one leaves for say a week, no problem, but what about a day, an hour, a minute. That is why I was questioning,  “What in Spanish law permanently means in this context.”

I should be grateful if anyone can point us to where that is explained in the Spanish Law, so that we really know and don't have to guess.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/09/2012.

Like 0      
08 Sep 2012 1:46 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I thought these days you were considered to be" in" the country you go to bed in at night, so strictly speaking you would have to spend one night outside of the country to break the 90 day rule.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
08 Sep 2012 1:56 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Yes that is one 'guess' but someone wanted to legally what the actual law was.

Like 0      
08 Sep 2012 3:45 PM by TamaraEssex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

TamaraEssex´s avatar

OK, like Poppyseed I can't point at the line or clause in Spanish law, but I recall my late uncle having to count his overnights in both Spain and UK, for different purposes.  He was very wealthy and had a legal team and a finance team, one of whom probably COULD have pointed at the specific clause.

What my uncle had to check for his first few years (before he became formally resident under the previous system) was his overnights in Spain.  In later years he had to count his overnights in the UK, as he had become fiscally resident in Spain and his overnights in the UK were limited..

I'm not guessing, I'm adding information to the pool, enabling other people to build up a fuller picture.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
08 Sep 2012 5:10 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Hi Tamara ,I once sent johnzx a link to the official Spanish tax website (in English) about allowable expenses against rental income and he still wouldn't fully accept it! He often refers to when he worked in the UK with the addition 'things may have changed now' which I interpret as 'this may or may not be a fact'......quite contrary methinks.

Although as you say we can't point to the exact Spanish legislation it is clearly stated on the HMRC website and that is good enough for me, unless one is a time traveller and can be in two places at the same time!

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 08/09/2012.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
08 Sep 2012 5:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Let put it this way Poppy, if I do not know for 100% sure I don't say I do.

I also know that in law the actual meaning of each word in the Act of Parliament, either as defined by that or a subsequent Act, or as decided by actual court cases, is vitally important.

For example, if a person needs to know how long they can stay in Spain, I will not make a guess at it, as that would not be helpful to them and might land them in trouble.

Usually when I say, “Things may have changed’ mostly I do think that they have, but if I am not 100% certain, I will not say  I am.  

The Law is not a logical animal, so a layman guessing, usually gets it wrong.

PS.  This is an example of what a police officer needs to know before he/she can arrest a suspect for theft:  to ensure a crime has in fact been committed. -

Basic definition of theft.
(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

That is the basic definition. 

This is what these few words mean

(2)It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief’s own benefit.

(3)The five following sections of this Act shall have effect as regards the interpretation and operation of this section (and, except as otherwise provided by this Act, shall apply only for purposes of this section).

Annotations: Help about AnnotationModifications etc. (not altering text)C1S. 1(1) applied (25.8.2000) by 2000 c. 6, ss. 148(8), 1682

(Meaning of the word)  “Dishonestly”(1)A person’s appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as dishonest—

(a)if he appropriates (Meaning of the word)  the property in the belief that he has in law the right to deprive the other of it, on behalf of himself or of a third person; or

(b)if he appropriates(Meaning of the word) the property in the belief that he would have the other’s consent if the other knew of the appropriation and the circumstances of it; or
(c)(except where the property came to him as trustee or personal representative) if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps.
(2)A person’s appropriation of property belonging to another may be dishonest notwithstanding that he is willing to pay for the property.
3“Appropriates”.(1)Any assumption by a person of the rights of an owner amounts to an appropriation, and this includes, where he has come by the property (innocently or not) without stealing it, any later assumption of a right to it by keeping or dealing with it as owner.
(2)Where property or a right or interest in property is or purports to be transferred for value to a person acting in good faith, no later assumption by him of rights which he believed himself to be acquiring shall, by reason of any defect in the transferor’s title, amount to theft of the property.
4“Property”.(1)“Property” includes money and all other property, real or personal, including things in action and other intangible property.
(2)A person cannot steal land, or things forming part of land and severed from it by him or by his directions, except in the following cases, that it to say—
(a)when he is a trustee or personal representative, or is authorised by power of attorney, or as liquidator of a company, or otherwise, to sell or dispose of land belonging to another, and he appropriates the land or anything forming part of it by dealing with it in breach of the confidence reposed in him; or
(b)when he is not in possession of the land and appropriates anything forming part of the land by severing it or causing it to be severed, or after it has been severed; or
(c)when, being in possession of the land under a tenancy, he appropriates the whole or part of any fixture or structure let to be used with the land.
For purposes of this subsection “land” does not include incorporeal hereditaments; “tenancy” means a tenancy for years or any less period and includes an agreement for such a tenancy, but a person who after the end of a tenancy remains in possession as statutory tenant or otherwise is to be treated as having possession under the tenancy, and “let” shall be construed accordingly.
(3)A person who picks mushrooms growing wild on any land, or who picks flowers, fruit or foliage from a plant growing wild on any land, does not (although not in possession of the land) steal what he picks, unless he does it for reward or for sale or other commercial purpose.
For purposes of this subsection “mushroom” includes any fungus, and “plant” includes any shrub or tree.
(4)Wild creatures, tamed or untamed, shall be regarded as property; but a person cannot steal a wild creature not tamed nor ordinarily kept in captivity, or the carcase of any such creature, unless either it has been reduced into possession by or on behalf of another person and possession of it has not since been lost or abandoned, or another person is in course of reducing it into possession.
5“Belonging to another”.(1)Property shall be regarded as belonging to any person having possession or control of it, or having in it any proprietary right or interest (not being an equitable interest arising only from an agreement to transfer or grant an interest).
(2)Where property is subject to a trust, the persons to whom it belongs shall be regarded as including any person having a right to enforce the trust, and an intention to defeat the trust shall be regarded accordingly as an intention to deprive of the property any person having that right.
(3)Where a person receives property from or on account of another, and is under an obligation to the other to retain and deal with that property or its proceeds in a particular way, the property or proceeds shall be regarded (as against him) as belonging to the other.
(4)Where a person gets property by another’s mistake, and is under an obligation to make restoration (in whole or in part) of the property or its proceeds or of the value thereof, then to the extent of that obligation the property or proceeds shall be regarded (as against him) as belonging to the person entitled to restoration, and an intention not to make restoration shall be regarded accordingly as an intention to deprive that person of the property or proceeds.
(5)Property of a corporation sole shall be regarded as belonging to the corporation notwithstanding a vacancy in the corporation.
6“With the intention of permanently depriving the other of it”.(1)A person appropriating property belonging to another without meaning the other permanently to lose the thing itself is nevertheless to be regarded as having the intention of permanently depriving the other of it if his intention is to treat the thing as his own to dispose of regardless of the other’s rights; and a borrowing or lending of it may amount to so treating it if, but only if, the borrowing or lending is for a period and in circumstances making it equivalent to an outright taking or disposal.
(2)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) above, where a person, having possession or control (lawfully or not) of property belonging to another, parts with the property under a condition as to its return which he may not be able to perform, this (if done for purposes of his own and without the other’s authority) amounts to treating the property as his own to dispose of regardless of the other’s rights.

Like 0      
08 Sep 2012 7:57 PM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

I should be grateful if anyone can point us to where that is explained in the Spanish Law, so that we really know and don't have to guess.

With respect, it seems to me you are over-complicating something that is neither complicated, or, to my knowledge, is (or ever has been) in dispute.

The relevant sections you require are the Royal Decrees impacting upon the implementation of EU Directive 38/2004, and of course, Directive 38/2004 itself

All Spanish law does is implement that directive.

The directive itself is very clear on the topic. See Article 6.

Union citizens shall have the right of residence on the territory of another Member State for a period of up to three months without any conditions or any formalities other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport.

Also see Article 7 which specifies the conditions for periods in excess of three months, and Article 8 which clearly states:

1. Without prejudice to Article 5(5), for periods of residence longer than three months, the host Member State may require Union citizens to register with the relevant authorities. 2. The deadline for registration may not be less than three months from the date of arrival. A registration certificate shall be issued immediately, stating the name and address of the person registering and the date of the registration. Failure to comply with the registration requirement may render the person concerned liable to proportionate and non-discriminatory sanctions.

Absolutely no-one has argued over what "3 months" means. It means 3 months from the date of arrival. The three month period is defined as being 90 consecutive days.

Really, it is that simple. If you leave after, say, two months... then re-enter, the clock re-starts.

If you wish to check the case law. Here it is:

1. Directive 38/2004/EC (Articles 4, 5, 6, 7 and 27)
2. Schengen Borders Code (Article 7)
3. Agreement between the European Community and its Member States, of the one part, and the Swiss Confederation, of the other, on the free movement of persons, 21 June 1999
4. Judgement of the ECJ of 25 July 2002, Case C-459/99, MRAX vs. Belgium
5. Judgement of the ECJ of 17 February 2005, Case C-215/03, Salah Oulane vs. Minister voor Vreemdelingenzaken en Integratie
6. Judgement of the ECJ of 31 January 2006, Case C-503/03, Commission vs. Spain.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 9:06 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

There is an FAQ published by the EU authoriries which provides some definitive answers on this (which confirms what I have said below), in plain English (or Spanish, if you prefer). The English version can be downloaded here:

ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/front_end/docs/faq.pdf

The relevant sections state:

When should I register exactly: within my first 3 months of residence or when I exceed this period? I read contradictory information about this.

EU rules require registration (if applicable) only if you stay in the host country for more than 3 months. Therefore, you should not be asked to register before the expiry of the 3-month period.

I regularly go to France to work as a seasonal worker, often more than once a year. Do I have to register if the overall stay in France in the year exceeds 3 months, but every single period of stay is shorter than that?

No. Registration can be required only for continuous stays of more than 3 months.

The local authorities will hand me a registration certificate only after that they have checked that I meet the conditions of the right to stay. Is that in conformity with EU rules?

The registration formality allows the local authorities, among other things, to check that you comply with the conditions of the right to reside for periods over 3 months. It is therefore normal that you should be asked to present the documents which demonstrate that you fulfil those conditions.

What documents can I be asked to produce to obtain the registration certificate?

A valid identity card or passport and proof that you comply with the conditions for the right of residence, depending on your situation: a confirmation of engagement or certificate of employment, or proof of self-employment, if you are a worker; proof of enrolment at an accredited educational establishment and of comprehensive sickness insurance cover, plus a declaration or proof that you have sufficient resources, if you are a student; otherwise, proof of comprehensive sickness insurance cover and of sufficient resources.

How long should the validity of the registration certificate be?

Registration certificates should be issued with an unlimited validity.

Trust this entirely resolves this issue.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

price for free sat dish supplied and fitted - 5 posts
So what is the temperature at night? - 12 posts
still confused with RESIDENCIA rules - 31 posts
banking reform - 2 posts
NIE EX15 or Certificate of Residency EX18 ? - 3 posts
Satellite dishes the law ? - 15 posts
Murcia? - 13 posts
fire raging at the moment - 15 posts
PRIVATE OWNED SPANISH CARS FOR SALE - 12 posts
University student moving to Spain - 1 posts
Looking for large property to rent and moving from Uk to Spain help :) - 2 posts
car hire - 0 posts
Just moved to Spain - How to register - 8 posts
Linking Paypal to spanish bank account - anyone done this? - 17 posts
Aifos - 0 posts
Paralympic streams - for updating satellite receivers. UK TV Costa Blanca - 0 posts
CAR FOR SALE - 0 posts
Centauro Full/ Full from Murcia - 2 posts
Back-dated Endesa rate. - 21 posts
Security systems - 7 posts
Long-term rental required - 26 posts
Deregister Residencia and Healthcare in order to return to UK - 9 posts
Charges for not taking their Insurance - 10 posts
PETITION: To restore responsible buying and selling of property in Spain - 31 posts
Royal Air Forces Association - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x