Reforms to health care for EU expats -

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Jul 2012 12:27 PM by dalmata Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

I have just read an article in Murcia Today which explains the implications for EU ex-pats living in Spain very clearly and it would seem that anyone who is resident (in Spain for more than 3 months) can access state health care (NHS)  if they are pensioners (i.e state retirement pension age and drawing RP) or working legally (employed or self -employed) People who are below state pension age and are not working or working illegally will now be required to prove that they either have private health care insurance or sufficient income or savings to provide for private health care. Anyone now applying for residence or renewal of residence documentation "may" be required to provide appropriate evidence of means to provide for health care for themselves and families.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 5:32 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

The 'renewal' of so called 'residencia' ,but in fact the certificate of registration on the list of permanent resident foreigners , is not  required ever by permanent residents from another EU state But only by non-eu family members where it is required to be renewed every 10 years ( this is because non-eu family members have a card which requires the photo updatin & no other reason ) This renewal is AUTOMATIC & no paperwork of any description can be asked for except an updated photo.

This was also pointed out to me , although (I already knew, this morning in a reply from the EU on an associated matter.

The part in question;

Right of permanent residence

Union citizens acquire the right of permanent residence in the host Member State after a five-year period of uninterrupted legal residence, provided that an expulsion decision has not been enforced against them. This right of permanent residence is no longer subject to any conditions. The same rule applies to family members who are not nationals of a Member State and who have lived with a Union citizen for five years. The right of permanent residence is lost only in the event of more than two successive years' absence from the host Member State.

From here;

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/internal_market/living_and_working_in_the_internal_market/l33152_en.htm

Hope this helps.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 5:46 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Gus,  whilst I am happy to accept that you are correct, unfortunately the police , as far as the office where I work, will not go along with it fully.

Even though an EU citizen has ( had ) a Residencia they still must register on the EU citizens register.

As from then on they do not need to renew it (at present anyway).

So the problem is, although one may be correct, in that they have had Residencia for 5 or more years,  unless they register on the EU Citizen’s Register,  the police do not accept it. 

Catch 22 !

PS   Gus
                               I see that the web page , re the  2004 legislation you refer to,  was last up  updated: 28.11.2009. 

Do you think that maybe there has been an amendment since 2009,  which may account for the apparent different interpretation being used now ?

This message was last edited by johnzx on 19/07/2012.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2012 7:28 PM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

" People who are below state pension age and are not working or working illegally will now be required to prove that they either haveprivate health care insurance or sufficient income or savings to provide for private health care."

However from the official spanish documentation i have seen on this matter, it seems if you are unemployed and receiving benefits here in Spain or your benefits have expired but youre still registered as unemployed you can still obtain health cover.

The EU registry certificate does seem to have catch 22s!, What would happen if you are denied one due to not meeting current requirements and need to get a Spanish driving license for example. Trafico insist on "residencia" paperwork, therefore no license?

This message was last edited by ojosazul88 on 19/07/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New join - 1 posts
COSTAS PROPERTY SHARKS ON THE PROWL - 11 posts
Graphic/Web Designer looking for room in/near villamartin *PLEASE READ* - 0 posts
A little light relief - 0 posts
New freephone number for Endesa - 5 posts
New satellite channel receivable UK TV Costa Blanca - 4seven - 0 posts
Recommended Structural Surveyor near Estepona/ Marbella/ Gibraltar - 11 posts
How should I play this? - 3 posts
Agricultural Water - 3 posts
Spain needs reform NOW - 93 posts
Latest info re EU Citizen Registration (formerly Residencia) - 17 posts
Travel to Malaysia - 2 posts
Swimming Pool Security Problem - 2 posts
Plumber/DIY person wanted around Quesada area - 0 posts
GOOD NEWS FOLKS - 3 posts
ENDESA - ELECTRICTY DISCONNECTED - 14 posts
WONDERFUL - 0 posts
Moving to Murcia region - 0 posts
Jet 2 NEMA to Murcia - 1 posts
banks - 0 posts
Mount tv in Spanish brick wall - 11 posts
finances - 0 posts
Advice Needed - 2 posts
Come and join us in Baza Granada - 0 posts
podiatrist/chiropodist needed (CB) - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x