Viva la UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Viva la UK the weather has been fantastic today visited a lovely Spanish style restaurant in alderley edge it felt like we were on holiday in SPAIN again

More please

Rod

Like 0      
01 Oct 2011 10:23 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes have to agree Rod,

So nice to sit outside and have a drink mind you only orange as driving, but lovely all the same and everyone seems more friendly when the sun is out! Or maybe it is my imagination.

Patricia

Like 0      
02 Oct 2011 2:59 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

amazing weather here if you like being dry and sizzled, the beaches are full to overflowing.

air conditioned cars and heavy shade at a premium.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
02 Oct 2011 4:25 PM by The Real Mary Poppins Star rating in Quesada, Rojales. 8 posts Send private message

The Real Mary Poppins´s avatar

Hi all

Well all I can say is that I'm pleased for you but very jealous.

Why?  Because I live in Scotland and the weather is VERY rubbish.  Having spent a lot of time in Spain this summer we returned to Scotland last week and it was quite a shock.  Winter woolies are already being dragged out of the wardrobe.

So please enjoy it while it lasts and don't mind me if I sound a bit bitter!

Like 0      
02 Oct 2011 6:06 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Sorry Mary.

Yes have seen Scotland has rain and is cold. I know it is a rude awakening going back when the weather is rubbish go back to Spain or come down South. But will not last for long so we have to make the most of it!

Norman it is lovely stop being a grumpy old man! Make the most of it!!!!

Patricia

Like 0      
02 Oct 2011 8:27 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

I have been checking forecasts a bit enviously, as the forecast was better for London than here in Jumilla!  Having said that, we sat outside a local bar with our dog at lunchtime, in the shade, enjoying coffee, wine and tapas and paid the princely sum of 9€ - so we can't complain!  

One reason for the checking of forecasts: I am going to London next weekend and it looks as if temperatures will be dropping during the week.  There I was, hoping to travel light (Ryanair, hand luggage only!), but it looks as if I will have to wear a warm jacket and jeans at Alicante airport.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
02 Oct 2011 8:42 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Snow is forecast sue but you can buy a coat from Primark for 8 pounds
And throw it away when you leave the UK or give it a charity shop cheaper than the hold luggage

You've just gotta think outside the CIRCLE sometimes

LOL

Rod

Like 0      
02 Oct 2011 9:45 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Thanks for your good advice Rod!   I have 5 days to diet and exercise like mad, then I should be able to fit into my oldest daughter's clothes while I am staying in London.  If not, Primark here I come!

We are going to Germany just after I get back, but luckily we are flying with Lufthansa so I can pack my winter coat and woollies, wellies and umbrella - oh and maybe a few summer clothes just in case! 

Sue 

Sue Walker

Like 0      
03 Oct 2011 12:32 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear Pat,

"Norman it is lovely stop being a grumpy old man! Make the most of it!!!! "

I believe I have, I enjoyed the shade and the warmer evenings plus the outside refreshments.

but the pate and visage are suffering increased damage, working time is limited and productivity suffered, the rabbits are breeding again and becoming a plague, how can free food become a plague you might ask? but it is so and they are eating the grass the horses need which puts pressure on our limited winter hay supply, correction they are eating everything. Even the kids get hot and stressed if the wind drops. My wonderful apple tree is laden with red apples but only a fraction of the size they should be.

the pool and the sangria might be the answer for a short while but I would soon be bored, sorry. In any case you have to be rich for that lifestyle for life don't you.

In any case I have built myself a little glass shed in the garden for reading and radio listening and hope for some rain soon. I would include a picture if I knew how, it is quite cosy and I don't know how anyone could live in Scotland except on the West coast perhaps. We would be frozen without our wonderful gulf stream - better make the most of it before we louse it up.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 10:25 AM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

well the sizzle is over, the flu jab taken but still no rain, the vest and jumper can wait a little longer.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 1:53 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Dear Norman

You definitely don't have to be rich to live in Spain - we are pensioners and have a far better lifestyle than if we had stayed in the UK, certainly than if we had stayed in London!

OK. We now live in a flat and don't have a pool: our original dream went a bit pear-shaped as we should have been living in a house with a shared pool, but that's another story (told in more detail in my book!)  However there are three outdoor pools in the sports centre down the road, plus an indoor pool nearby for the winter months and, though John and I don't swim, John's daughter, son-in-law and grandsons went there when they came over for a holiday.  If we fancied sangria it's not expensive here, so we could certainly afford to indulge.  

We actually prefer red wine so on Sunday we went out for tapas and vino tinto.  We had a couple of gambas and stuffed mussels followed by manchego cheese, jamón and bread.  The total for the tapas, four glasses of wine and two coffees was 9€.  On Saturday night we went to a concert in the local theatre and paid 4€ each for the best seats.  We meet both Spanish and British friends several times a week for coffee (less than 1€ for a café solo and usually 1€ for a cortado), we go for free Spanish lessons twice a week, and have the occasional menú del día for between 8€ and 12€, depending on where we go.  During the winter months we will go to the theatre on a regular basis for concerts and dance displays - our Spanish isn't quite good enough to cope with drama though!  So, to repeat what I said earlier, it is possible to have an active social life in Spain without being rich. 

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 2:20 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Sue 

I guess the true cost of living stems from the indigenous population who,s income in comparison too other countries such as Germany and th UK is much lower.

It just makes you wonder how much these coastal resorts crank up the prices 

Good for you SUE may it long continue and have an SAVE an extra glass of RIOJA for me next time.

The true HAPPY STORIES are always the best and make my day.

Rod

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 2:43 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Rod

That is very true, which is why it is easier for UK pensioners to have a comfortable lifestyle here but harder for those who have to earn a living in Spain.  When we are on the coast I have to admit that we tend to avoid British bars, as they are usually a lot more expensive, and look for Spanish bars where the cost of a glass of wine is less plus they are more likely to give you a free tapa! 

Living in Jumilla we usually drink the local wine, though we occasionally buy Rioja or other wines in the supermarket when they are on special offer.  A friend back in the UK bought some Jumilla wine from Sainsburys, and sent me a message on facebook., saying it was pretty good.  We didn't recognise the name, so I googled it.  It turns out that it is produced by BSI, who are literally just down the road from where we live!  A few days later I was in BSI so asked them about it.  It is produced for export only and we were told that it was a lot of hard work, but obviously lucrative for them.  So ignore your Rioja and pop into Sainsburys to buy their Carta Roja now!  I believe that the Gran Reserva in on special offer!!!

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 3:23 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear Sue,

we said it before, but we can buy cheap and substantial here at the carveries and eat-as-much as like places.

but I like the sound of your option too and long may you enjoy it, but we could never join except for holidays.

you have enthused me with the red and we buy the rioja too when it is on special, thank you I am now off to Sainsburys to try your suggestion

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 9:11 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Wifes just made her weekly shopping list and we have added your wine recommendation

Many Thanks

Rod

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 10:28 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Rod and Norman

Thanks for your support of the wine industry in my local town!  

To totally digress, when we first visited Jumilla about 5 years ago we discovered that the wine being sold in Sainsburys was from Bodegas Bleda, who at the time were situated near Hotel Pio XII, which is where we were staying.  Since then Bodegas Bleda have moved into the countryside, about 3km from Jumilla, and have a lovely new bodega there.  We suspect that they didn't want the work involved in a large contract while they were moving into new premises - certainly Magui at BSI  told us they have to work very hard!

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the wine.  We buy wine directly from BSI, Bodegas Viña Campanero and Bodegas Silvano Garcia on a regular basis as they are all within walking distance of our home.  To be honest, most of the young wines from last year weren't as good (in our opinion) as those from 2009, especially Tavs from Hacienda del Carche.  We loved the Tavs 2009 and were disappointed when we first tried Tavs 2010.  We have heard on the grapevine (geddit?!) that 2011 is going to be a good year, so fingers crossed!

Sue

PS Sticking to the theme of this thread, it's good that you can all buy Jumilla wines in the UK - however it's even better living here where it costs a lot less!

Sue Walker

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 10:41 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Hello Sue,

hope you are right, in expectation I have ordered 6, but at half price it is still £6 per bottle which is more than I would usually pay for red wine.

we have bought Rioja - Lagunilla Reserve 2006 from Morrisons on special for less which was great but not on special when attempted to fill up later.

all being well I collect tomorrow - is it good with steak which is sometimes a weekend treat.

Regards

Norman 

Like 0      
01 Nov 2011 8:09 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Hello again Sue,

well nearly missed out somehow, managed to get some 2004 at £5.99 with Decanter bronze and IWSC bronze both dated 2010 which was OK but not as good as the Rioja.

the man on duty offered what he said was a better one - a 2007 Crianza Decanter recommended at £6.99 not on offer, I have to say he was quite right it was very good and soon became something of a favourite.

Thanks again for the tip, if ever it comes on offer I will tell, but not until after I have secured a few cases.

I guess you pay much less?

Regards

Norman

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mercedes SL WANTED or similar - 1 posts
Help needed in Mojacar Almeria - 3 posts
FT - forecast of further 15% drop in Spanish property prices - 6 posts
Market trading - 0 posts
The meeting with David Lidington - 9 posts
does anyone have positive claims experience from their Spanish holiday home insurance? - 11 posts
SYSTEMIC CORRUPTION IN CAJA DE AHORROS DEL MEDITERRÁNEO (BANCO CAM) - 12 posts
Help needed. Place of death search..... - 9 posts
Do you need a Home Sitter - 0 posts
Dog and puppy dumped (by English people) Sierra Espuna last week. - 1 posts
Duty Free changes when returning from EU to the UK - 20 posts
Form 210 ID labels - 3 posts
New stables opening up soon just outside Murcia - 2 posts
The Complaints Form - 4 posts
English bike carriers - 2 posts
For Sale or Swap BMW 325 Convertible Auto UK RHD, Tax & MOT - 2 posts
Change of clocks - 11 posts
Formentera Del Segura - 5 posts
repossessed property - no water or electricity meters - bank obligation to disclose? - 8 posts
Liability for Water Leak - 15 posts
Spa day around Quesada? - 1 posts
Mazarron country club - 6 posts
Help locating hand mixer please - 10 posts
Invitation to British property owners in Torrevieja area - 3 posts
Invitation to British property owners in Torrevieja area - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x