New look site- where's the buttons?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi Justin

The new colour scheme tells me there have been some changes . I had this page bookmarked: www.eyeonspain.com/forums/ which took me to a page of buttons for last updated thread, etc. It doesn't appear to be there any more and I can't really find its equivalent. Looking for the user friendliness that the site had .

Mark

Like 0      
02 Aug 2011 6:06 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/ForumLast20Threads.aspx ?

Like 0      
02 Aug 2011 6:15 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Ahh yes, I missed it with the extra adverts that have ben put in!! Thanks 

Mark

Like 0      
02 Aug 2011 6:25 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

i guess the recession and all that.

the forum needs more ads for sure.

there is still a tiny bit of white space left

Like 0      
02 Aug 2011 7:09 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Mark, the buttons have gone but the link you are looking for is still on the page, at the top to the right is a link that says "Latest threads".

We are making some significant changes.  We are focusing on increasing features, increasing site speed (hence buttons going, etc) and much database work.  We recently hit the limit of the current databases and the site cannot grow without the significant changes we are now making.  It's a nice problem to have!  The site just keeps growing and we have to stay ahead now.  And some good stuff we want to bolt on this year so lots more changes coming I'm afraid, but from past experience, we are phasing them in gradually.

And yes...we are, as always, playing with ad layouts and positions .  It's not a cheap site to keep running unfortunately, but we are trying out what we think are cleaner ad layouts.  We'll see how they go.

You could always switch the ads off

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
02 Aug 2011 7:16 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

i like it

needs more ads though.

http://www.clicktale.com/

this is good for visitor behavior

you can work out where they click most and bait and switch the bit they click

Like 0      
03 Aug 2011 8:23 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

How do we see the latest postings (as opposed to threads) now?

Like 0      
03 Aug 2011 10:26 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

I agree how do we get the latest postings!!

Like 0      
03 Aug 2011 1:53 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hmmm, we removed it!

It wasn't a very popular option on the forum and the code behind it was very badly written, which is why often it was quite slow to load.

If you want it back then we'll rewrite the code to make it more efficient and get the page back up.

Give us a few days and we'll get it done.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
04 Aug 2011 10:12 AM by camille Star rating in West Yorkshire & Her.... 121 posts Send private message

camille´s avatar

Will take some getting used to, just about found my way around the old one

Like 0      
04 Aug 2011 11:31 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

I'm finding it more difficult to read as much more scrolling required and somehow not as easy to gain an overview of the thread postings as before.

Perhaps it's just me!

Like 0      
04 Aug 2011 3:49 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

ads, we haven't changed the forum layout for about five years, so the new layout will take a little getting used to for sure.

It's taking me time to get used to it myself and I've been looking at it for a good few weeks here!

Sorry!

It's all part of a bigger plan, for example, where you will be able to hide posts from certain users, etc, so these changes are necessary to accommodate some of the new functionality that's on its way.  A lot of it isn't possible to do with the old layout.

Anyway, we can always make other changes if people shout loud enough!

Justin

Like 0      
04 Aug 2011 4:14 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Thanks Justin good luck with it all.

I much prefer the "posted by" bit to the LHS of the page as it was (and still appears to be when you post a reply and scroll down the page).

Somehow, being offset in that way makes it easier to read.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 12:16 PM by Rambi Star rating in Tenerife, Canary Isl.... 82 posts Send private message

I agree ads. It was much easier on the eyes.

This message was last edited by Rambi on 05/08/2011.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 1:59 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

as a forum owner and web publisher myself i agree that site changes take a while to get familiar with.

but so far i am finding it pretty much impossible to read any of this.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2011 5:44 PM by Goldie Star rating. 154 posts Send private message

like the new layout ,but i think members are finding it hard to navigate round the site and I dont think people are posting as much?

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 10:27 AM by jardinmalc Star rating in Hornchurch, Essex an.... 26 posts Send private message

It does look cleaner, probably because there is less information shown now?

Guess I'll get used to it but it was good to see the number of views on the discussions thread screen and user icon/animated GIF details in the left hand margin when you go into a post.

Maybe this is going to be an option in the new functionality of the bigger plan?

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 10:35 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

There is (finally) some new functionality on its way so we had to make some space provisions for it.

You can still see the number of views, just hover over the link to the thread in the list of threads and the views will be shown.

Justin

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 10:46 AM by jardinmalc Star rating in Hornchurch, Essex an.... 26 posts Send private message

Ah, yes. I see that now. You're right of course!

Thanks Justin,

Malcolm

Like 0      
02 Sep 2011 10:59 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

That doesn't appear to work within the last updated threads Justin...... is that correct?

Thanks for all your endeavours.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

SORRY BUT MORE ABOUT ILLEGAL HOMES - 0 posts
Makita 2029 THIS HAS BEEN SITTING ON A SHELF Volts 110 - 0 posts
DEWALT XR2 BATTERY AND DRILL 18V - 0 posts
CHAINSAW TIMBER BEAR - 0 posts
Elu flip saw. Volts 110 - 0 posts
Bosch Cordless Drill 12 volt - 0 posts
Makita 2414B Abrasive cut-off saw 110v - 0 posts
Hilti TE-10 Hammer drill Volts 110 - 0 posts
sewage again! - 0 posts
freesat top box - 5 posts
Building Valuation - Help - 1 posts
Any experiences of obtaining dangerous dogs licence? - 10 posts
If you are thinking about moving to spain maybe this is interesting to you? - 22 posts
Hand the keys in and walk away? No chance! - 50 posts
Compensation caused by abnormal functioning of the Spanish Administration of Justice - 7 posts
American - 2 posts
3 Shot in Palomares - 4 posts
Endesa electric problem - 4 posts
man with a van asap?????? - 0 posts
Air con Heredades - 5 posts
How healthy is your townhall's finances? - 8 posts
Sick Pay in Spain - 0 posts
Advice needed on kids starting school in Formentera del segura in spain - 6 posts
lobins answer to illegal homes - 0 posts
Best type of property for rental income - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x