monthly living

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jul 2011 1:40 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

Oh dear, these informative posts have now got me worried. I am due to retire next year and will be living off the state pension plus income from two small private pensions. This will not amount to the €1000 + that people are talking about.

I have a two bedroom apartment in Spain and a  three bedroom house in the UK, I think I will have to downsize to create some capital. 

I was hoping to spend summer in UK and winter in Spain but the problem being two lots of charges.

Maybe do another year or two at work and hope that sterling revalues.

Best wishes.

Tech.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2011 11:31 PM by dennis_partridge Star rating in UK now but ten years.... 9 posts Send private message

Tech,

You would be mad to take any sort of decision based on advice on this or any other forum.  Bigwilly is just a spoof playing for attention and campana lives in a much higher price area than you do in Turre and, despite her strenuous denials, lives an above average lifestyle.  So ignore both of those.  Guslopez is a better model for you.  He has a much bigger place than you and a pool to maintain but I doubt you'll match his IBI bill.  But for food, Mercadona is Mercadona and the market is the market.  So, with no rent to pay, you will live very comfortably for a lot less than €1,000 a month.  And I get the impression that you are solo whereas gus would seem to be a couple.  If so, you save again.  Remember, most Spanish families live on €1,000 a month or less and have to pay rent out of that.

But you can do the sums for yourself.  Go down gus's list and put in the  numbers for your place and your lifestyle.  Keep a record of what you spend when you're over in Spain and come up with a number specific to you.  You may still choose to downsize in the UK irrespective of your numbers.  If you are single, you don't need three bedrooms so cash in and spend it wisely getting pleasure.  Can't take it with you.

Good luck and don't be put off the dream without being very sure of your facts. 

Dennis

Like 0      
18 Jul 2011 12:10 AM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

spoof playing for attention?

what you on about you tard?

Like 0      
18 Jul 2011 1:42 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

I live 5 mins from Guslopez in a property , newer but only 3 beds + pool and further out of town, and although obviously a smaller property than his  the only bills I can match are the road tax and car insurance. All other bills far exceed those Gus listed. Which is why trying to compare like for like is a non starter.

Surely Tech you know the costs of utility and council bills for both your properties and living costs in UK so the only thing you need to know is how much to have for food and entertainment when in Spain. Personally I think with 2 properties to maintain you will find life difficult to manage on your pension. With the exception of IBI (rates), mine is 350e but with annual increments and road tax of which Lorca is one of the most expensive, everything else appears to be on par with the UK now. 

It´s all very well saying the Spanish live on less than 1000 e but they don´t buy or eat the same food as we do, I know because I dine constantly with my Spanish friends, plus those who live outside of a city grow their own vegetables and the meat is usually game they have shot.

Like 0      
18 Jul 2011 2:33 AM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Gosh, JEK, you know more about me than I know myself! 

Patricia

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANTED - Video Recorder - 3 posts
WANTED - Unfurnished Mijas Costa - 0 posts
Chiropractor Fuengirola or Mijas Costa - 0 posts
handyman needed - 1 posts
illegal homes in Spain 5 - 0 posts
Looking forward to Summer hols :-) - 4 posts
Poor Website Spelling Cut Sales by Half - 13 posts
motability scooter - 3 posts
Do I need a residencia or will a padron/nie be enough? - 16 posts
Driving to spain - 3 posts
What Makes You Think Of Spain - 24 posts
Water Leak - Undetected - 2 posts
Mary-Anne Goosens: Am I Being Cynical? - 2 posts
Dogs saved from drowning - 0 posts
Time for property agents to earn their commissions. - 2 posts
sick of england - 117 posts
selling our restaurant - 0 posts
not wanting to pay commisions - 4 posts
Selling Opportunities - 0 posts
property - 1 posts
NEED A GOOD RENTAL AGENT IN MIJAS COSTA - 6 posts
Algorfa,Costa Blanca School - 0 posts
holiday in malaga august 2011 - 2 posts
Starting new business selling/installing IP Security Cameras in Malaga Area - 10 posts
illegal homes in spain 4 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 45

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x