HAPPY ST DAVIDS DAY

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

This message was last edited by Candyfloss on 01/03/2011.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2011 10:10 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We were walking back from our local market this morning, when we spotted daffodils growing in the grass in the middle of a roundabout!  Not what you expect to see in Spain, however so appropriate today!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
01 Mar 2011 11:54 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Diolch an fawr Candyfloss.

I wore my Daffodil today!

Got the same sort of smiles and inquisitive questions from the locals as I did last year. lol

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 12:20 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

All the Taffs were wearing their daffs today, luveeeeeerly

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 7:49 PM by Comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

Comadreja´s avatar

Please could someone confirm for me - is it a dragon on the flag, or a griffon? ( Or even a griffin?)

My OH is Welsh and he says there are (were) no dragons in Wales, they were actually griffons.  The only one I have ever seen was Idrys,  on the old TV show Ivor the Engine, and he was definitely a dragon. 

Of course they are extinct in England, St George got rid of them all ...

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 8:08 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Well, the griffin (or griffon or gryphon) had the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle in Greek mythology.

So it is definitely a dragon.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 8:10 PM by Comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

Comadreja´s avatar

Thank you Bobaol.  It's not often he's wrong, but I think I've got him this time!

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 10:54 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Of course it is a Dragon. and without going into it.....

too late!!!

lol!

However, I do find it interesting that St. George (England) defeated the Dragon (of Wales?)... or was it St. George defeated St. David? (same thing!).

Or could it be that one day the United Kingdom will have a Prime Minister that is Welsh and again will lead the country to glory?

David Lloyd George -  UK PM 1916 until 1922

Best know for:

"As the highly energetic Prime Minister (1916–1922) who guided the Empire through the First World War to victory over Germany. He was a major player at the Paris Peace Conference of 1919 that reordered the world after the Great War."

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 02/03/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 10:59 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Actually, don't jump on him too hard.  One website says that the Welsh dragon is based on a Roman Griffin standard which was brought over by one of the legions based in North Wales.

The actual word "dragon" (or ddraig in Welsh) is based on the word for standard (or flag) so he may be fairly near the truth.

And for technoape, at least we have our own Saint (Dewi Sant) David and didn't have to pinch a Turkish one (or Syrian or Palestinian or whatever book you happen to read).  And we also turned back the Roman invasion a lot, unlike the English at the time who rolled over and said thank you for the roads, the drains, the taxes etc.

The true story can be seen when you enter Cardiff.  Coming from Newport on the A48, you come to Rumney Hill.  At the bottom is a small pottery which has been then since dragons actually roamed Wales.  Old Marcus Antonius, general of the Roman legion, came to the top of the hill overlooking Wales and a little Welshman came running out of the pottery yelling insults at them.  The Roman general laughed and sent 10 of his men down to deal with them.  A lot of noise inside the pottery ensued and then the little Welshman came out again dragging the bodies of all 10 Romans with him.  He yelled some more insults at the Romans before running back in.  Marcus got a bit miffed then and sent down 100 of his best legionnaires.

Again, scuffles and noise before the Welshman came out again (a bit bloodied but unbowed) and started yelling insults again.  

Marcus (now truly upset) sent down an entire cohort of legionnaires.  A bit longer this time before the Welshman came out with his normal ranting (nearly put norman ranting there but stopped myself).  Then, whilst Marcus was wondering what was going on, one of the Romans managed to crawl out of the pottery.  "Go back", he croaked, "it's a trap.  There's two of them"

This message was last edited by bobaol on 02/03/2011.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 9:18 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Brilliant Bob

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 10:47 AM by SpanishJack Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Belated Happy St Davids day to all.  Sorry its late just found this forum.  To Suemac, I've got daffs in the garden on the Costa Blanca.  Opend well in time for Dydd Gwyl Dewi.  As for the flag. To me it will always be a dragon.  However what does bug me is when I tell a Spanish person, or many other non Brits for that matter, that I am from Wales and speak Welsh, I meet with the question 'Wales?' ' Where is that?' and 'Is Welsh a form of English?" Grrrrr.   Is it the constant insistance of English people to class the whole of the UK as England.  St Patrick's Day coming up and lots of celebrations in bars, schools etc locally.  St Davids Day?  Not a mention.  What can be done about it?

This message was last edited by SpanishJack on 03/03/2011.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 11:35 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Yes bob, absolutely brilliant!

Will remember that one as it did put a smile on my face...

However it's not to far from the truth about how the Welsh came close to thwarting the Roman domination of Southern Britain...

A leading historian has documented the exploits of the ancient Silures tribe, who fought a long campaign against the Romans two millennia ago.

Dr Ray Howell from the University of Wales, Newport, even says our penchant for wearing red may spring from the tribe's favourite battle colour.

Dr Howell, a reader at the university's School of Education, has published an examination of the South-East Wales tribe, who came close to thwarting the Roman domination of southern Britain.

He said, "What emerges is not only a warrior society, but also a sophisticated people who traded widely and made good use of horses and horse-drawn vehicles.

"They had war chariots with equestrian equipment decorated with red enamel. For the Silures the colour of war was emphatically red.

He believes the Silures tribe were more advanced than most people give them credit for, having waged a ferocious guerrilla campaign against the Romans which lasted far longer than even the famous Boudica-led revolt.

The Iron-Age tribe managed to defeat a whole Roman legion during their bloody campaign.

"The Silures took a lot longer to defeat - there was a 25-year guerrilla war including the defeat of a legion."

He believes the tribe was so successful because it was highly advanced.

You can read more about this in an article published on WalesOnline.co.uk

And also in Dr. Ray Howell's book: Searching for the Silures

The term Silures is of course a Roman term, however after 25 years of struggle the Romans were forced to come to terms with the Silure, and there is evidence to suggest that not only was there intermarriage between Romans and the Silures, there are also hints at a Welsh King that became a Roman Emperor!

I find History fascinating, in fact I suppose I'm a keen armature Historian, however  I'm currently researching the Roman involvement here in Andalucia and any possible links to Wales and the Silures.

So if anybody 'digs' anything up.... please let me know!

(Sorry for the pun - awful I know)

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 03/03/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 3:21 PM by Comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

Comadreja´s avatar

Well it's good to see that the Welsh are showing the Romans the way, except these days they call it the Six Natiions ...

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 3:33 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Well it's good to see that the Welsh are showing the Romans the way, except these days they call it the Six Natiions ...

Please don't open that can of worms........

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Parque Commercial Las Playas New Shopping Centre La Zenia/Playa Flamenca - 22 posts
Motorway speed limits coming down to 110 kph - 15 posts
wanted, dining table chairs - 1 posts
Who voted for or against? - 0 posts
RTA-Europe/ - 3 posts
I want to swap my Fiat Punto HGT (2002 Spanish reg, LHD) for UK plates RHD - 14 posts
Tourist Visa for Spain - 3 posts
Industrial paper shredder - 0 posts
LTSB/Halifax - forged documents - beware - 1 posts
For Sale. Double glazing for Fortuna terrace - 0 posts
Wanted - 5 Bedroom house in Barcelona area for client - 0 posts
Drivivng to Costa Del Sol with dog! - 4 posts
van coming to fuente alamo area from midlands - 0 posts
car insurance third party - 10 posts
edit - 2 posts
Mexican-style furniture Wanted- Almeria Province - 0 posts
builder's electricity - 9 posts
Andre Villa freestyle motor cross park - 0 posts
Satellite TV on TDLT - 9 posts
second hand furniture - 1 posts
Día de Andalucía - 12 posts
Would you have a Spanish student - 12 posts
Furniture for sale in Murcia - 1 posts
Tapatalk compatible? - 2 posts
Leather Chairs - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x