I'VE BEEN SPOOFED !

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Mar 2011 7:32 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hold on!!! Don't answer that. "My server requires authentication" so I entered my own (Telefonica) user name and password and tried again. I get it. At last! Just received an e-mail from my mate, but he didn't send it to me.  I just spammed myself, using my mate's e-mail address. Oh, what fun!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Mar 2011 7:38 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Just trying to familiarise myself with Windows Live Mail, still using Outlook Express . I have set up san account myself  with no password.

The outgoing server will be smtp and incoming will be pop. Once you lick the Next button, it is set up but will ask for a password. Ignore that and close. You can now send compose an email as John Doe and a spoofed address and send it. The mail should stay in your outbox until you close Mail when it will be sent, if you areconcted to the Telefonica network. The only time it will ask for a password in this instance, is if you try to collect email as you need a password to retriev it. Here are the header details (with some sensitive stuff removed) of the email I sent myself:

Return-path:
Envelope-to: mark@marksfish.me.uk
Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 18:26:47 +0000
Received: from w-52.cust-.ip.static..uk.net :61234 helo=markPC)
        by cambridge.eukhosting.net with smtp (Exim 4.69)
        (envelope-from )
        id 1PvwBj-00078I-K0
        for mark@marksfish.me.uk; Sat, 05 Mar 2011 18:26:47 +0000
Message-ID:
To:
Subject: Spoofed
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 18:27:07 -0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0006_01CBDB62.EF21D180"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
Importance: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3502.922
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V15.4.3502.922

edit: B+gger, Roberto beat me!!

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 05/03/2011.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2011 8:02 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Now I know how, I can set up a new fake account in seconds. You didn't mention that you still have to log in using your own username and password! Now - next question: following your example, I decided to leave my mate out of it, and I set up an account as the famous Mr John Doe - johndoe@example.com, to be precise, same as you, clearly a non-existent e-mail address. And I sent a message to myself, and received it, from johndoe@example.com. So my question is this: if a spammer can just use a made up address, why use mine? What exactly is the whole point of this?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Mar 2011 11:11 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Not really 100% sure on that Roberto. I think that it is because if they use a proper address, the failed deliveries will be bounced to an inbox of some poor unsuspecting person, which means the end of the message. If you send from a fake address and it goes to a "duff" email address, there is nowhere for the mail to go and ends up going back and forth around the email servers indefintitely. This gives those 'orrible spammers more chance of being found quickly and being blocked.

Mark

edit to ad: The only reason you have to log in and use password Roberto is that your isp requires authenticated email. This is so that TF can be sure it is you using their mail server and not someone else. Some isp's won't let you use their mail server unless you are physically connected to their network by adsl or dial up. I have my own web hosting account which doesn't need authentication, thus I can send from any pc, on any network, Worldwide if I wanted to (but so could someone else hacking into my account!!). ISP's also usually use something called tarpitting. e.g. You may be allowed to send up to 30 emails in one go, if you send 31, the 31st may be queued to go after 5 minutes. So, if you were sending out 10,000 spams, it could conceivably take you days to do it this way.

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 06/03/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Art Exhibition Castillo de la Duquesa Manilva - 0 posts
Wanted: Weight training equipment... - 2 posts
Here today gone tomorrow! - 5 posts
Can't find Hotels near motorways in Spain? - 17 posts
Public Liability Insurance for Building Company - 3 posts
BLUE MED PROPERTIES - 28 posts
internet in rental house - 3 posts
FOR SALE Callway golf clubs x14 pro series rifle shafts and ping putter and taylor made driver and more clubs and bags all for !!!30 euros!!! - 2 posts
Selling UK Registered Car In Spain - 9 posts
trish - 4 posts
Cedula's - anyone out there know about them? - 0 posts
Beer at 16 cents per can - 0 posts
Transport from UK required - 0 posts
Our fantastic UK MEP'S?? - 41 posts
Hello from Madrid - 0 posts
Estate Agent Jokes !! - 1 posts
LORDS REMOVALS/TRANSPORT ON CAMPASOL - 2 posts
Do you think sterling is deliberately being kept low against the Euro - 7 posts
Unpaid Community Fees - 19 posts
mobile disco usage & wedding dresses - 0 posts
FS xbox 360 - 0 posts
Denuncia for speeding - 15 posts
Legal Spanish Ice cream business for sale - 0 posts
can't phone endesa from uk - please help! - 11 posts
Looking for a second hand clothes shop that buys clothes or comission - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x