Here today gone tomorrow!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by Dunga Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Even though this is my first time of writing on eyeonspain I have been on reading things in the past.

I have lived in Spain for five years surviving on various jobs but now I just can not find any work. Because of this I am thinking of returning to the U.K. I do own my house here and intend on selling it. If I do, how will this affect me on my return? Will I not be entitled to any kind of benefits if I can not find a job? If I do not sell will they be able to trace back that I still own a property? Any help would be most appreciated.

Dunga

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 9:19 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Sorry to hear about your problems here.  It is very tough here work wise at the moment and so many are now heading home.

Selling your property will be an issue anyway, as I'm sure you're aware.  You will have to sell lower than may be ideal.

If you did manage to sell the property, my understanding is that in the UK you don't get benefits if you have over a certain amount in savings.  I think its 6,000 pounds but I'm not totally sure about that.

If you still have your property in Spain and return to the UK, I don't think that is classed as "savings" so I wouldn't have thought they would take that into account.  If anything the property in Spain would be more of a liability!

That's about as much as I think I know!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 9:42 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Dunga - I don't know the full picture but just this week I sent an email on behalf of one of my sellers to her local housing officer in the UK.  My client didn't give me all the details but said that if she could prove that her house here was worth less than £85,000 then she could claim benefits - I am assuming Housing Benefit? 

You will find that the rules for different benefits set different levels of savings but if you go back with a decent amount of money from a house sale then you will not get any means tested benefits.

Houses here in the southern Costa Blanca are selling and we are very busy - BUT they need to be really low priced before we can even get viewings.  Even then we are still getting offers of 20 - 25% below an asking price that was already 50% of what the owners bought them for!

If you are able to price your property correctly - assuming you don't have negative equity - then there are lots of buyers out there now.

If you are reluctant to go back and hope to return some day, have you considered trying to let your house instead?

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 10:44 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

this story and the responses would seem to be in agreement with the daily mail scaremongering article.

I come across many in this same situation and estate agents saying to get viewings and to sell you must almost give the property away.

These are difficult and challenging times.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 11:46 AM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

I suppose if we were a truly integarted EU thenthe best solution would be to leave you where you are and send you some subsistence until things improve. Much better than sending winter fuel payments to be wasted.

Faro has pointed out more than once how bad things are when you sell in Spain so it seems if it is avoidable by letting that would be a good solution.

Doubtless your income from this would be considered but it would have to be proved and definite which may be after all costs and certainty.

There is a squeeze on benefits here so things may change but I believe housing benefit savings level are around £16,000 but that can be checked on the UK.Gov website.

In any event I am pretty sure that house equity is treated with some allowance concerning time to sell etc.

Such a shame but good luck.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 12:32 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

found this on Moneysavingexpert.com.............

Are you eligible?

Unsurprisingly the social security system is a nightmare of complexity, so it's impossible to easily summarise exactly who's eligible for payments. Yet it is easy to say who should check; cash may be available for anyone in one or more of the following groups.

• Those with dependent children and a family income less than £58,000, or £66,350 if you have a baby under 1, a disabled child or a large family and you spend a lot on childcare .
  • Those without children in work earning less than £16,190.
  • Those who are out of work.
  • Anyone with an illness or disability.
  • Carers, guardians, recent parents and the over sixties.

For a full and detailed guide to Tax Credits (money from the state to support those with children or in work but with a low income) see the Tax Credit guide. Plus those with kids, ensure you're not missing help with childcare costs. 100,000s of working parents are missing out on £1,000s of cash, see the Childcare Costs guide for full info.

it may be easier than the .Gov web site.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Can't find Hotels near motorways in Spain? - 17 posts
Public Liability Insurance for Building Company - 3 posts
BLUE MED PROPERTIES - 28 posts
internet in rental house - 3 posts
FOR SALE Callway golf clubs x14 pro series rifle shafts and ping putter and taylor made driver and more clubs and bags all for !!!30 euros!!! - 2 posts
Selling UK Registered Car In Spain - 9 posts
trish - 4 posts
Cedula's - anyone out there know about them? - 0 posts
Beer at 16 cents per can - 0 posts
Transport from UK required - 0 posts
Our fantastic UK MEP'S?? - 41 posts
Hello from Madrid - 0 posts
Estate Agent Jokes !! - 1 posts
LORDS REMOVALS/TRANSPORT ON CAMPASOL - 2 posts
Do you think sterling is deliberately being kept low against the Euro - 7 posts
Unpaid Community Fees - 19 posts
mobile disco usage & wedding dresses - 0 posts
FS xbox 360 - 0 posts
Denuncia for speeding - 15 posts
Legal Spanish Ice cream business for sale - 0 posts
can't phone endesa from uk - please help! - 11 posts
Looking for a second hand clothes shop that buys clothes or comission - 0 posts
could anybody help please with the whereabouts of Wayne Stoneman. Many Thanks - 1 posts
BMW 645 ci reduced by 5k, NOW 15K, bag yourself a bargain, it must go!!!!! - 0 posts
Terrace furniture - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x