Problem with Google....?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Mar 2010 12:00 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Timed at 0022am Friday...

Think sites which use any of the Google services may have a problem as of about 30 minutes ago...

Sites such as EOS which have Google ads or Google analytics seem to be experiencing severe loading delays.

G mail not working, Google search not working...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
12 Mar 2010 10:18 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

We had the same problem too.  It was Telefonica playing up again.

I was very glad it happened late last night and everything seems to be ok this morning.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2010 7:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Drove me NUTS, as I was trying to locate an island in Ontario that's for sale (!!!!!!!) on Google maps. (if you think property in Spain is cheap now, check these out: http://www.privateislandsonline.com/ontario.htm - and best of all, no community problems or annoying neighbours!)

Since upgrading my hardware, I've had much better d/l speeds - actually got over 6mbps once although my Telefonica contract is only for "up to" 6mbps; but I'd be interested to know what results others get with pingtest.net, because it seems the quality of my connection is p155 poor: http://www.pingtest.net/result/12403369.png

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2010 7:52 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

www.pingtest.net/result/12404272.png

Got a B!  Can't be too bad!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 12/03/2010.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2010 12:03 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I got an F

Pretty much sums up my experience with Telefonica for the past 5 years.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
13 Mar 2010 12:09 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I just did the test again and, again, got a B! www.pingtest.net/result/12453170.png

That's from my wifi connection - would it make a difference if you are cabled or wireless?   Am I just extremely lucky?

Like 0      
13 Mar 2010 12:10 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

13 Mar 2010 12:46 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Wow!

Cool!

I just got a 'A' Pingtest.net Result

And when you consider the server is in Madrid at a distance of 250 miles!!!

Having said that, my line quality here has always been top notch, as when we had Telefonica connect us in July 2008, we were given a 6 meg line, and the connection speed has always been 6016kb, with max download speeds ranging from 180kb to 345kb per second depending on what I was downloading and from where.

Now get this, on Wednesday morning of this week, Telefonica called me out of the blue and offered to upgrade my ADSL connection. They said they could give me a 10meg connection, another, better quality wireless modem, all for free... and reduce my current bill buy 8€ per month for the first 12 months.

Well, I couldn't see any catch other than I would have to 'verbally' sign up to a new 12 month contract with Telefonica... so I said Si! Es una oferta muy más barato y mucho mejor! Si! Si!

The operator confirmed my address by reading it out to me (Yes! Telefonica actually do have my correct address!) and informed me that on the following Wednesday I should reset my connection (by powering down and then powering back up my modem), and I would then be connected to a 10meg ADSL connection. Then I was informed that my new modem router would arrive via courier during the next week, and if I needed help to install it, then I could either call their technical department and they would guide me through it, or they would send an engineer. I said that I would install it myself but thanked the operator for the offer of assistance.

Well, two hours later whilst actually trying to do some work online, I lost my connection... so I reset my connection and low and behold, connection speed 9997kb!!!!

At this point, I should tell you that I actually went out and purchased a Belkin N1 wireless ADSL modem router from Carrefour about 12 months ago, and have been using that instead of the standard Telefonica wireless ADSL modem router, as the wireless range of the Belkin unit is far greater than the standard Telefonica unit.

Can’t wait to see what sort of max download speeds I’m going to get know!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 13/03/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
13 Mar 2010 1:26 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

ooh! ooh!

I've just tried the Speedtest.net line speed test, which gives you maximum download and upload speeds!

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I got this result from a server in Madrid, and this result from a server in Coventry, both of which show max download as 7.84Mb/s (not Kb/s - Mb/s)

Which means download speeds per file type of:

MP3 File (size 5Mb) - 6 seconds!!!

Video Clip (size 35Mb) - 36 seconds

Movie (800Mb) - 14 minutes

Ok! Actual overall download speeds will vary, as it depends on the connection type of the server you are downloading from, but max speed is well fast, with a capital 'F'.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 13/03/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
13 Mar 2010 1:37 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Techno...

Ah what it must be like to live in a civilised area!

At the moment I can't even connect to pingtest never mind get a result!

Can't connect to speedtest either!

Can't connect to telefonica's speedtest centre ...

Can't open Telefonica's ADSL help chat line...

Took the best part of three minutes just to open the reply box here!

The village mains water is turned off again (not that you can drink it anyway...); its been off for 12 hrs...last time it was for 36 hrs.

Village electrics went off for a couple of hours last night...

We have a brand new river running through the village and the back road out involves driving through an 18" deep ford....

Definition Time...

'Shambles' (n) A quaint little Shopping Street in York dating back to the 14th century.

'Shambles' (a) The state of public utilities in rural Spain...

Not quite the 3rd world but we can see it from the upstairs window....

The reality is of course that the locals have never known things to be any different and they accept the inteminable breaks in utility sevices without a murmur whereas we Brits have been spoiled I suppose by having a 24/ 7 /365 service in the UK. Seemingly it took Sevillana nearly 3 days to install generators in Girona where even now some 700 families have been without electricity for four days.

I'm not one given to bitching generally; I'm pretty laid back most of the time but there comes a point when you have to ask WIHIH in Spain...

Colin...BTW...make sure when you get your next bill from Telefonica that they have cancelled your original ADSL contract...some folks on another forum were offered a similar deal and finished paying for both...they are still tying to convince t'fon that they should only pay for one service...

fb

This message was last edited by foxbat on 13/03/2010.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
13 Mar 2010 7:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Yeah, Colin, I think the only catch is that, whilst it's cheaper for the first 12 months, after that you'll probably be paying slightly more than before, and frankly, there's not much point since the difference between 6 and 10 mbps is hardly noticeable - and anyway, as you've discovered, with your 10mbps connection you're only getting 7.5 or thereabouts..

I've got no real complaints with Telefónica - I appear to be getting the contracted speed, but this "quality" ping test puzzles me. Apart from the Google problem the other night, which obviously wasn't just me, I don't have any problems using VoIP, or any other applications usually. I do find it tricky to connect to BBC iPlayer or ITV Player, but I think that's more to do with finding a suitable proxy server than my connection - or???? So what does it really mean? Apparently I'm suffering from 96% packet loss - which if you say it in a camp German accent sounds like a complaint you may hear around the "men's" bars in Torremolinos but otherwise means nothing to me.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Which Sky ppv channels on 90cm dish - 1 posts
Do some threads get deleted? - 1 posts
IFOR WILLIAMS BOX TRAILER FOR SALE - 0 posts
Business Premises - 9 posts
eyespyspain@aweber.com - 47 posts
Gestoria / Asesor in Granada - 1 posts
Data Protection - 4 posts
water sealant - 7 posts
Laptop for sale - 0 posts
Help - Vodfone Dongle, SKY, Laptop, Skype etc - 3 posts
Recommendation for LOCKSMITH in CAPLE, Alicante - 0 posts
Spain Dreams, legit? - 1 posts
Hello from Ann Brown - 0 posts
Fun with Frank Worthington - 0 posts
Airport Parking Murcia - 14 posts
opening a bank account in spain - 6 posts
Kwiksave supermarket - 2 posts
Buying & Owning a car for a non-resident - 62 posts
Anybody Buying in St Javier area. - 1 posts
Kimo - 0 posts
Sun - 1 posts
prices in the local supermarket, APARTMENT IN BARCELONA CENTRE BY OWNER, food - 2 posts
washing machines - 3 posts
Floods in Manilva - 12 posts
Spanish registered vehicles wanted - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x