Buying & Owning a car for a non-resident

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Mar 2010 12:00 AM by cockney boy Star rating in Tannadice, Nr Forfar. 39 posts Send private message

Hi there,

We have our own apartment in Cox and use it  when ever possible, but we are getting fed-up paying out hundreds of pounds to car hire companies.

Can someone tell me if it is legal to purchase and own a car in spain for a non-resident.

Ian Sturdy

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 10:52 AM by tonynault Star rating in Stockport & Cox!. 88 posts Send private message

tonynault´s avatar

Hi Ian, 

Don't really know anything about buying a car(though I'd be interested), just wanted to say hi 'cos we must be neighbours! We have a townhouse on the outskirts of Cox. Its on the Sierra Sol development, which is yours?

Tony.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 11:11 AM by cockney boy Star rating in Tannadice, Nr Forfar. 39 posts Send private message

Hi Tony,

had the apartment for almost 3 years, Mirador De la Vega 2, on the outskirts of Cox to the east, just off the road to San Calos, going out for 10 days in April to warm the bones.

Ian

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 11:55 AM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

No problem buying a car in Spain, I'm classed as non-resident was in similiar position fed up of paying several thounsand euros out throughout the year on  hire charges. So I decided to buy a Spanish car, car prices are up on UK prices, but in my case more cost effective in the long term. Requirments for purchase Cash, Car Insurance, Driving Licence, Passport, NIE and Padron available from local Town Hall.

Please remember that if you buy privatly to get the vehicle checked out as you can inherit any unpaid fines and taxes, by the way my Focus road tax 59 euros for the year.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 12:12 PM by cockney boy Star rating in Tannadice, Nr Forfar. 39 posts Send private message

Thanks for that info, have heard so many different stories, but like you fed up with hire car costs. Couple of questions, do you need a spanish licence and is the insurance competetive ?

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 1:29 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi,

If you have an EU issued GB photocard licence, no you dont need a Spanish Licence.

If you have a paper licence the best advice is to visit the Post Office in the UK and obtain an International licence. It costs about £5 and is valid for one year. It carries information relating to the types on vehicle you are qualified to drive and is translated into dozen or so  languages. It is issued on the spot but you will need your current lience when you apply for it. The International Licence is only valid when presented with your UK Licence. You do not need an International Licence if your UK Licence is the EU Photocard type.

When in Spain all of the documentation relating to the vehicle must be available for roadside inspection.

Car insurance is more expensive over here, but is balanced out against the much lower car tax.

Car tax bills are sent out once a year from your local town hall to your Spanish address. although I believe it is possible to have them paid by direct debit from a Spanish Bank account. The bill, when issued has a 'latest date for payment' note attached. Late payment involves s surcharge.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 4:54 PM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Hi Ian

Like already posted uk licence ok, regarding insurance I don't think it's that bad really 300 euros for the year fully comp. with breakdown cover. Also bear in mind the insurance covers anybody to drive the vehicle over 25 (as it's vehicle that is insured not the driver).

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 4:59 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I've been put off buying a car as I don't think I want to sign on the padron. It is only my holiday home and do not want to declare that is my full time home when in fact I spend most of my time in the UK. If I have misunderstood can someone tell me. Thanks Kevin

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 6:12 PM by Jack5340 Star rating in Calahonda Costa Del .... 56 posts Send private message

Kev2006n,

I am not a resident and brought a Ford Focus here on 1st September 2009. All I needed was my driving license, NIE, Escritura and of course money. They did not seem to require me to be on the padron and they also did all the paperwork. Make sure you go to a reliable dealer and you shouldn't go wrong. I went to a main dealer. As said cars are more expensive here. My estimate is by about 20% or so.

Before you pick up the car you must have proof of insurance.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 9:16 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I'll try different dealers next month. Last week I went to both Citreon and Renault. Ford maybe a better bet. Kevin

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 11:47 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I bought a second hand car in Manilva in February 2009 and I needed a copy of my NIE and padron certificate.  I needded the same for when I bought my scooter in October 2009 and bizarrely I needed to be registered with the Spanish tax authorities (presumably so that any fines can be added to my tax bill?).

If you're not on the padron, where would they send the road tax bill to each year? 

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2010 11:59 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

We  bought a new car from a dealer and only had to produce our escritura and residence certificate (husband's) - nothing else!! (maybe my husband's passport copy!?).  Padron certificate was never requested.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 12:00 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

kev...

So far as I am aware, signing on the padron is not a 'declaration of permanent residence' and it allows the local council to claim more funding from local government for essential services. How do you pay for your annual council tax...

See this link

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 1:57 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

foxbat. Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Just wish one could look on one site and find the correct thing to do. It sounds very straight forward. Kevin

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 3:07 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Sanchez1,

In your case it was different as you don't own a property in Spain.

We purchased a Spanish car for the Mrs in November last year and as we own a property, she only needed her Driving License, NIE and the Escritura. However I believe there was a change to the law as from 1st January this year, in that you have to be on the padron.

The car was purchased from Manilva Autos and they did everything for us, including the transfer of ownership.

It was a very good deal and I would go so far as to personally recommend them.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 7:24 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

We bought our car at the end of January and weren't asked for the padron registration.  Although, still waiting for the papers from the dealer ......

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 8:37 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

What you have to remember is that the Uk plastic licence is ok as long as you have the medical certificate to go with it. This is required every 5 years For Spanish nationals over 45 & 10 years under 45. You won't necessarily be asked by the police but in the event of a serious accident, where death or serious injury is involved , the 1st .thing the lawyers ask to see is the medical cert. to go with a foreign licence. If you do not have it you are deemed to be driving without a licence. A lot of regional police forces now consider anyone with an NIE number to be resident .

Sanchez 1   "If you're not on the padron, where would they send the road tax bill to each year?"  They don't send them anywhere here unless you elect  for "domicilio de pago". You go to the town hall with reg. no. & they print off a form you pay @ the bank. Even if you buy a new car after the 1st year you still have to go to the council to get a form to have it paid from the bank for the following years.

I also purchased my 1st.car with only my passport, nie, & money.The 2nd. with just my residencia.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 9:14 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

guslopez,

The medical certificate is only used to apply and renew a Spanish licence.  My borther in law is a driving instructor in Spain and he confirmed this.  The certificate only has a validity of 90 days.  Before the 90 days is up you have to renew/apply for the Spanish licence.  So if what you're saying is true, you will need to get a medical every 90 days for it to be valid.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 9:49 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Yes, It is used to apply for renewal for a Spanish licence but they then know that to obtain the licence you had a medical. When the EC told Spain that Changing of Uk & other foreign licences was illegal under EC legislation the Spaniards went back to the EC & stated that as the UK licence ran until the age of 70 & the German licence until the person died , it was unfair to Spaniards that they were required to have a medical, whilst the foreigners had not. The EC agreed & required that all foreign licence holders are required to comply with Spanish medical requirements by taking the medicals. By taking the medical & retaining the cert. you are deemed under Spanish law to have complied as long as the age / date of medical etc; is within the right time period.

The above has already been tested in court & found against a non-medical certificate holding UK citizen.

Re; only having a validity period of 90 days  for learners , yes that is correct & you have to keep renewing it until you pass the driving test when it then covers you for the 10 year period. ( if you're under 45 )

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 10:25 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

What happens then when you hire a car, the same thing must apply as the car is insured not each individual who drives it.

I've bought a car and am non-resident, I will be carrying my flight details in the car to show when I'm due to return to UK.  I haven't arranged insurance yet but I'm going to ask them if I am covered as a non resident.  I'll also ask fro it to be confirmed in writing.

In Torrevieja non residents are unable to sign on Padron.  When the car is transferred into your name then the address of where you are residing is taken from your Escuturia or a rental contract.  I'd imagine that's how they know where to send the road tax.

Unfortunately mine has been filled in incorrectly as the person in Traffico has missed out a page of my escuturia and my address has been registered incorrectly with the plot number rather than the correos.  If I had been able to sign on Padron this error might have been spotted.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Anybody Buying in St Javier area. - 1 posts
Kimo - 0 posts
Sun - 1 posts
prices in the local supermarket, APARTMENT IN BARCELONA CENTRE BY OWNER, food - 2 posts
washing machines - 3 posts
Floods in Manilva - 12 posts
Spanish registered vehicles wanted - 0 posts
Telefonica finally available in English - 5 posts
Cleveland golf clubs for sale - 0 posts
3-4 bed unfurnished townhouse/house long-term rental wanted Estepona/Manilva area - 10 posts
Learn Spanish - 0 posts
What is a Certificado de Prescripcion Responsabilidades Urbanistica? - 5 posts
Ryanair Staff Abuse Policy - 12 posts
Ross Legal Services - 1 posts
I am looking for a team of builders on the Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Just because I'm in a slightly daft mood ... - 11 posts
Internet again - 5 posts
A resale purchase - 0 posts
Apple I Mac for Sale. 2 months old. - 1 posts
problem with powder coated railings - 1 posts
Media Markt VAT free day - 8th March 2010 - 3 posts
damage from above - 0 posts
semana santa - 1 posts
Empty Van Returning to UK 26th March - 0 posts
Residency: Pros and cons? - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 63

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x