applying for spanish health care

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 May 2021 11:29 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 196 posts Send private message

Hi, I am researching the  application for a spanish health care card. I keep finding contrary advice so I am hoping you guys on here will know the difinative answer.

I have my health card and my Wife has hers as my Dependant. My wife recieves her uk state pension next month so we need to apply for her to be registered in the health care system in her own right.

I would very much appreciate guidance please or any links there are to enable my Wifes application to be made. Thanks nic.

Like 0      
27 May 2021 9:02 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1789 posts Send private message

If your wife was a Spanish  resident before January 21..then she will need to apply to the UK ...DWP for a S1 health card to continue to have the health care paid by the UK government whilst living in Spain.. apparently it takes quite a time for the Spanish NHS to process the S1 UK card so you might want to take a private health insurance policy out to cover you... until you are accepted into the Spanish system.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 27/05/2021.

Like 1      
27 May 2021 9:05 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1127 posts Send private message

She needs an S1 certificate from the overseas health care team in UK. You can do this over the phone and they will send it, completed, to your Spanish address. You will need the NI number to apply for this.

The S1 is still available to those who were resident in Spain before Jan 1st 2021 and are now eligible for pensions.

Once you receive the S1 you register it at your nearest INSS (social security) office. Probably have to make an appointment at the present time.

Like 1      
27 May 2021 10:22 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 196 posts Send private message

Hi Guys, Thank you both for coming back so quickly. I have found an email address for the UK health office and have requested form S1. They have  sent me an automated reply advising that they will respond to S1 enquiries within 14 days.. Thanks again. nic.

Like 1      
27 May 2021 6:03 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 196 posts Send private message

Hi, To update others who need to apply for an S1. I emailed the dept at Gov uk this morning on nhsbsa.ohsregistrations@nhs.net. Quote full names, d.o.b, N.I number, contact number, address and date left the UK.

Confirm that the person applying for S1 is not recieving a pension from Spain or any other country, nor will be with the exception of a state pension from the UK.

This afternoon a person from the issuing dept rang my Wife asking date we left the UK and said the form S1 will be coming out to my wife in tonights post. Now that is what I call efficient.

Like 1      
27 May 2021 7:41 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1127 posts Send private message

When you get the form, you need to register it at the nearest INSS office. This is where different areas have different procedures. In our town, we have a lady that works at the town hall and does it all for you, even issuing a temp SIP card until the plastic ones arrive. At another town you have to take the form from the INSS to your local health centre where they will also issue a temp one and you wait about 5 weeks or so before the plastic one arrives.

Yet another town you take it the health centre and they have a machine that prints the plastic card there and then.

The INSS office will probably tell you what to do depending on your location.

Like 1      
28 May 2021 2:17 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 196 posts Send private message

Hi mariedav, Many thanks for that. We live near Fuengirola so I shall make enquireis at our local town hall.

I understand my Wife needs to produce TIE, passsport and  NIE together with a copy of each. As my Wife already has a medical card do you know whether the proceedure wil be easier compared to  someone applying for the first time.

I have briefly looked on the internet and in some areas people can apply online and others in person. all a bit confusing. nic.

Like 0      
28 May 2021 8:55 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1127 posts Send private message

Seems like it's different everywhere, then. I provided  up to date padron, residency card and verified S1. Wasn't done online, though. 

Like 0      
28 May 2021 4:53 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 196 posts Send private message

Hi Mariedav, thanks for that, it certainly does seem to vary dependant upon the area. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dog friendly hotel - 0 posts
Accessible rental properties - 1 posts
Thinking of moving to Spain - 7 posts
Short term rental required - 9 posts
Dog EU passports - 2 posts
Fake news...hope so - 20 posts
All won cases for you by CostaLuz Lawyers in 2021 - 0 posts
Contact lenses subscription in Madrid, Spain as Boots UK are going to stop my service - 4 posts
Costa del sol or Costa Calida - 4 posts
Tax - if refused residency - 3 posts
living in spain now - 12 posts
Iberdrola changing clients to Siesta Energy - 2 posts
New speed limits in force 11/05/2021 - 5 posts
Party wall - 2 posts
Gama builders - 0 posts
Game builders - 0 posts
Labels - 0 posts
Watchmanager - 4 posts
renewing spanish driving licence. - 2 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Guadalmina golf share - 0 posts
buying a small boat - 2 posts
ITV and insurance documents - 4 posts
Buying in Fuente de Piedra? - 7 posts
Vaccination certification - 24 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x