Air Conditioning V ceiling fans, or both ?.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Mar 2021 10:57 by jackyjoy123 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello,

I am looking for advice on whether to fit ceiling fans as well as air conditioning. My thinking was that with Air con installed it may not be required all the time and better to run ceiling fans as required when not hot enough for Air Con, or during the night for example. Do most people install both or just either?

I am concious of comments about electricity charges reported on the forum so can anyone also advise on their running costs.

thanks

jackyjoy

Like 0      
25 Mar 2021 11:04 by windtalker Star rating. 1770 posts Send private message

I have AC in my lounge and ceiling fans in All the bedrooms .. works out great for me as you can have the bedroom fan on during the night ..if you do decide to have AC in the bedrooms it is not advisable to sleep with the AC on ..as you will end up with a bad chest and a extremely high electricity bill.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2021 12:36 by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1076 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Fans, be it ceiling or free standing only create movement of air. Air conditioning also creates cooling and heating as well as movement of air. Movement of air and ventilation can be critical in some Spanish properties due to common damp problems.

You may find it uncomfortably hot without air conditioning in July & August when temperature exceed 30  also too cold in the winter months when temperature can drop to 15 .

An air conditioning unit (hot and cold) for your lounge can be installed for under €1,000. A portable air condition unit (cold only) for a bedroom will be about €200 new. Floor standing fans are available at €20.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2021 16:41 by baz1946 Star rating. 2225 posts Send private message

My 2 pence worth, if it helps the original poster, I have fans and air con in every rooms in my places, when we go to bed we put the air con on silent and timed for about 1 hour, does what we need on the hottest nights, we have also used the fans on all night as and when. Electricity costs are what ever they are everywhere, you either pay them or don't use it, no answers to the cost.

Like 2      
26 Mar 2021 11:43 by acer Star rating. 1424 posts Send private message

Getting this right is so important, the cost is secondary - most important is your health.

We tend to follow a combination of Windtaker's and Baz1946 advise -  sometimes in the summer with a half an hour blast of cool air just before retiring.  Personally I would never leave the A/C on all night other than just on a mild tick over setting when desperate.

Don't waste time and money on those devices where you put ice in a blower that supposedly circulates cool air all night, they don't do much except circulate the air - a ceiling fan does this better.

There are a new breed of A/C units on the market in Spain now - they look far less ugly that the retrofit units and claimed to be more efficient than the "hanging out the wall" variety.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2021 22:07 by GuyT Star rating. 497 posts Send private message

Yeah, I go with Baz on this....if you can afford it aircon and ceiling fans in every room....with a timer to switch off after an hour when you go to bed....if you wake uo too hot then re-set the timer.....rinse and repeat.

Like 1      
29 Mar 2021 09:00 by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 497 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

It will also depend on what the temperature is in your house at night. During the summer it can be as much as 30C+ in my house, especially in the bedroom. I live in a top floor duplex and all the heat accumulates in the roof, where the bedrooms are. I have individual AC units in two bedrooms and the lounge. I set them to 25 or 26ºC at night and they are on all night or at least until 6 am. A fan just doesn't do it in my case, the humidity is unbearable, for me at least.

By setting the AC to 26ªC, it removes the humidity from the room and drops the temperature by a few degrees which makes a massive difference. You could combine this with fans if needed, but I don't. 

I also tend to turn on the AC in the evening if we are watching a film for a few hours, again always around 25/26ºC.

This gets the room to a comfortable temperature and is also very economical. My units are Daikin and with two bedrooms connected every night and the lounge in the evenings, I pay about 50-60 euros max extra a month on electricity.  The key is in the temperature setting. I use AC for about 10-12 weeks a year. 

I have absolutely no crosswind through my house which is a pain. Hence I need them on all night otherwise I just can't sleep. If you do though, you may get by with a fan and an hour or so of AC before going to bed. You will soon discover what you need after your first week in August!

Good Luck!

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
28 Jun 2021 16:03 by jackyjoy123 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

thanks my issue has been fixed.

https://krogerfeedback.nl https://talktosonic.onl https://talktowendys.vip https://whataburgersurvey.onl

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Costaluz Lawyers - 0 posts
Stanley Johnson Holidays? - 8 posts
A strong battle against Supreme Court´s recent interpretation of Law 57/68 we are in - 3 posts
Getting Your House Bills Electronically When Stuck In The UK - 8 posts
Pain Clinic - 2 posts
Driver and campervan required June/July for Spain to UK repatriation 1 person, 2 cats and luggage - 0 posts
Mapfre insurance - 4 posts
Law changed to protect the councils ? - 6 posts
Where to get permission to be out in curfew? - 0 posts
Costaluz lawyers return of Off plan deposit plus costs and interest - 1 posts
planning permission for a swimming pool ?. - 3 posts
Still Waiting......... - 6 posts
Benamara/Benavista Footbridge over A7 Highway - 0 posts
Money Transfers - 12 posts
Let me help you! Expat in Spain (Andalusia) - Anything that needs to be done on your property... - 0 posts
New-Build Property and Guarantee Insurance - 2 posts
Playa flamenca Jumilla complex - 1 posts
Non-Lucrative Residence Visa - 20 posts
3% retention - 9 posts
Banco Santander, Manilva (San luis de Sabinillas) email address known? - 3 posts
New buyer location advice - 2 posts
looking to rent and then buy in Chantada/Rodeiro area - 2 posts
Bank Charges - 19 posts
Desk Top Computer Shops - 5 posts
Importing car to Spain post Brexit - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x