One-Way van rental without paying it! YOU DRIVE UK-SPAIN AND I DRIVE SPAIN-UK under shared rental agreement

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 May 2009 12:00 AM by dkj Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

After looking around and seeing the high prices of one-way rental vans for moves, if you are planning on moving down to Spain sometime in late July then why don't we rent a van together and you do one way and I do the return. We pay half of the costs and are both on the contract with the rental company so all is covered by the insurance. We are planning to move back to the UK from Madrid via Santander-Portsmouth ferry with our 3 cats. This is a much cheaper way to get moved without all the hassel of driving through France and petrol/hotels/food....

Let us know if you're interested!

Daria & John

Like 0      
15 May 2009 3:45 PM by alamred Star rating. 242 posts Send private message

Have you checked out:-

www.way2gohire.com and www.j-hire.co.uk

Like 0      
15 May 2009 4:37 PM by dkj Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Yes, i have checked all the one-way rental companies - they charge average 100+ GBP per DAY and seeing how you can rent a van in the UK for 200GBP per WEEK (unlimited mileage) it's not really worth it if you can find someone that needs to go the opposite way as yourself.

Thanks for the reccomendation though!

Like 0      
18 May 2009 10:24 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Yes they quote £200 per week ... but you try mentioning that you are taking it abroad .... then they run a mile (most of them) or double the hire charge!

I eventually got 'Budget' in Milton Keynes to hire me a van for a week but the fee was double the UK rate and i was very grateful to get it!!!  (! think it was £360 in the end).

Good Luck.

Like 0      
20 May 2009 10:27 AM by SteveBarbosa Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

I was thinking about this as we are moving to Spain end of July time. However, we are going to central spain, not the south.

Brittania are quoting around 2.5k to move us so we were thinking of doing it ourselves. I wont be using a van as it wont be big enough - we need a small lorry or large luton type van.

I'll keep an eye on this thread in case it favours us as time goes on because we may end up discarding more furniture and minimising what we take down there.

Cheers, Steve

Like 0      
21 May 2009 10:55 PM by flog-it Star rating in Campo de Ricote, Mur.... 125 posts Send private message

flog-it´s avatar

Hi,

Just a thought but we are sitting here watching this thread!!

R.J.

Like 0      
04 Nov 2009 11:22 PM by victortuborg Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello - am new to Spain (Cartegena) but this seems quite a common question looking through the chat pages. We recently used a van hire company called Vanomos  based in the Midlands to move down. We dropped our van off inTorrevieja but they say they have drop-offs in Madrid, is that central enough? Best, Victor

Like 0      
05 Nov 2009 12:08 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Hi SteveBarbosa

DO NOT USE BRITTANIA !!!!!! We used them, they charged us over £3,000 (actually they quoted a lower figure, took the stuff away and then said it would cost more as they had underquoted so they had us over a barrel really). They collected in a Brittania van, put the stuff in sealed contaners on the van then contracted it out, the delivery van had the name Stirling on it. It arrived as a part load, loose and mixed up with other peoples belongings. They damaged furniture and lost precious items such as wedding album, wedding dress, pictures that had travelled the world with us and meant a lot (wherever they hung was home). When I asked them to try and find them the response was they wouldn't know where to start and were very rude and unhelpful. Don't touch them with a bargepole.

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
21 Aug 2010 11:38 PM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

Most UK Van rental companies will not let you take van out of UK I used vans for sale spain who i found on the guide to spain.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2010 12:15 AM by Maggy Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

We have recently moved back to the UK and hired a self drive one way van hire van to take the majority of our things back, unfortunately the van was not big enough for all our things. We then contacted lots of companies to get a rate to hire a van for a week to return to Spain and pick up the rest of our things but most refused to let us hire and then drive on the continent and the ones that did were a fortune so we bought a high roof long wheel base van with roof bars and brought it back our selves last week. The van is now going to be advertised for sale as we no longer need it as the job is done so anybody that is interested should contact us for details.

Genuine inquiries only please.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2010 11:59 AM by kabri Star rating in Squatting in the Cos.... 45 posts Send private message

We used J Hire,  excellent good quality vans,  you can either pick up in Spain and drop off in UK or visa versa, they could also supply drivers if you didnt want to drive yourself.  We will certainly use them again if and when we have to return to the UK.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2010 4:05 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi MRSKYTV

Can you give me any details of the company you hired a van from please

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2010 4:09 PM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

i found them on "the guide to spain" its a website.. pm me if you get stuck

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 5:29 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Most of the cheaper removal companies load and upload many times as they collect bring to central depo fill HGV or container and then send to Spain and unload at depo and then reload and deliver.

So worth asking how many times your goods will be loaded/unloaded.

Also despite many advertising fully insured the actual cover is very limited and sometime only GBP50 per box/item - so that won't replace much.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2010 1:38 AM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

Was installing a satellite sysytem today for a customer who has just moved to Spain, and he paid €3'500 to one of the big UK removal Companies and is still waiting and was told today that it will be next Monday! Over 7 days late...

Like 0      
21 Oct 2010 5:37 AM by MarcAkbar Star rating in USA but interested i.... 13 posts Send private message

MarcAkbar´s avatar

Were planning to move in spain and when we will be there I will contact you to install us a satelite system.

This message was last edited by MarcAkbar on 21/10/2010.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2010 9:15 AM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

No problem, just get in touch...

Like 0      
30 Dec 2010 12:25 PM by wenger230 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Spam **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 30/12/2010.

Like 0      
30 Dec 2010 2:14 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Any of the big rental companies will have what you want try Hertz or Avis

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
30 Dec 2010 3:20 PM by mrskytv Star rating in Alicante & Malaga. 31 posts Send private message

mrskytv´s avatar

Hertz & Avis? They will not do "one way" Hire to Spain?

I used these guys : http://www.vans-for-sale-spain.com

The Van I got was about 5 years old but the price was good and I was able to leave it at Malaga airport so that was really handy for me.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

furniture for sale - 0 posts
VILLAS IN ALMERIA - 1 posts
Shar-pai Dog - 0 posts
Travelling to Morocco and Rhonda! - 9 posts
Cheap Flights - 6 posts
Cheap Flights - 0 posts
CNN to film property problems in Spain - 5 posts
WORKING IN SPAIN FOR A BRITISH COMPANY - 5 posts
Calling an Extraordinary Meeting - 2 posts
The builder's creditor has put a claim on my property - 1 posts
CAR FOR SALE EL RASO AREA - 0 posts
Episode 57 - 2 posts
Difficulty with mortgage and need to rent - 2 posts
Renting Mortgaged Property - 2 posts
Private messages - 2 posts
Murcia car hire - update. - 51 posts
alicante airport transfer to villamatin-july - 3 posts
Sofa Bed For Sale - 3 posts
IS MY POA STILL VALID?? - 1 posts
Picture Framer - San Javier area - 3 posts
Who can tell me about.... - 4 posts
Fortuna Investment Recovery Group - 0 posts
Who has tried - 8 posts
Book Writing - 4 posts
2/3 bed to rent in Fuengirola - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x