Hello!! Any advice appreciated....

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by sarah_lee001 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Hi I am new to this forum and am planning on a move to Duquesa (or nearby) in the next 2 - 3 years. I plan to rent my house in England and rent a property in Duquesa to make sure it is what I really want. I will also be planning on working in Gibralter full time as unfortunately, i am nowhere near retirement age!!

I only speak very basic Spanish with a view to becoming fluent once I move - hence looking for work in Gibralter.

Any info anyone can give me - words of wisdom, does or donts - all appreciated as I am currently researching from scratch.

I am aware of the current financial climate which is why i am waiting a couple of years for things to pick up!!

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 12:48 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Sarah

No doubt people who live in the area and know it well will respond to you, however my immediate reaction is to advise that you go to Spanish classes and improve your Spanish over the next 2 or 3 years.  You don't say what type of work you do, but even in Gibraltar I would have thought you will be competing for jobs with Spaniards who speak good English.  You are quite right in saying that once you move your Spanish will improve as you will have opportunities to practise every day, though on the costas there seem to be a lot of Spaniards who insist on speaking English to you so that their English improves!

Although I have been to the CDS on holiday many times, we live inland in Murcia, so hopefully the many EOS members who know Duquesa will give you a more informed view.

Good luck with your plans and do update us with your progress.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 1:01 PM by sarah_lee001 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Thanks Sue, I have also been having a browsw round the forums and noticed a thread 'what's the area like?' This appears to be from someone similar to myself and looking to move to Duquesa. I will carry on reading and look forward to any more info that anyone can give. My only problem which I see as being a major hiccup is moving to Duquesa without any work lined up. I am a Quantity Surveyor and my partner and Electrical Engineer, however, as you have mentioned (and several others) you need to be in the area to get work. However, I will need work as soon as I move and have no idea how long it may take to find a permanent job. My only thought would be to try to save up a bit first, take any job when I arrive ( I used to be a croupier many moons ago) and then find another job as Quantity Surveyor (or similar). Again, the only issue with this is pursuading my partner to move without work as I am still workingo n him with regards to the move as he doesnt like change!!!

Any advice would be great as I appear to be in a bit of a vicious circle!

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 1:55 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

My husband too is an Electrical Engineer , speaks fluent Spanish , has famiy around the area but has never comtemplated working in Spain/ Gib as the salaries are terrible.  A friend of ours sister 's family tried to make it in Gib as an EE but they had to return home which devasted them as they loved it there and their children were flourishing in school .   The pay was just too low.  The cost of living is expensive in Spain and Gib but unless you get seconded to a position or manage to get a job with the governement don't expect too much . 

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 2:10 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum.

You find us an easy going bunch and between us all we have knowledge and insight to every area of Spain.

As for Duquesa, my partner and I had been visiting the area for over three years and moved here last December, with absolutely no regrets, other than wishing we had done so a lot earlier.

Have a scant around the main areas of the forum as there are quite a few of us on this forum that holiday or live here, indeed the main EOS office is in Manilva, which is just up the road from Duquesa.

We decided upon Duquesa because it is on the very edge of the Costa Del Sol and yet even though it has a strong ex-pat community, it is also still surrounded by Spanish towns and villages, and is also nice and close to Gibraltar should you wish to work there, or even shop in Morrison’s. Also Duquesa is nicely situated in that it's only really around one hour away from just about anywhere, in fact Estepona is 20 mins up the road and Marbella, with its large shopping centres, is just about 40 mins away.

As for Airports, you have Malaga and Jerez around about an hour in either direction and of course you have the Airport in Gibraltar. 

If there is anything you need to know, then jump on in General Chit-Chat and ask away.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 6:24 PM by sarah_lee001 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Anyone got any great advice on convincing my partner that a move to CDS will be great? Obviously, we are aware that things wont be easy or straightforward but if anyone who has done the move with no regrets, please pass on your words or encouragement and advice....I will buy you a beer when we finally make the break!!

Like 0      
17 Apr 2009 11:23 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

See above!

And you can buy me a pint during happy hour in 'C' bar in the port.... as it will only cost you 1.50€

Mind you, happy hours out here last for at least two hours, and they all start at different times!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 4/17/2009.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

bad tenants! - 15 posts
Question re contract - 3 posts
returning from south of spain to england with a dog - 1 posts
Hotter in UK than Spain! - 78 posts
Bank Guarantee - 3 posts
Searching for....... - 2 posts
With Ref to ADH - 3 posts
POLARIS WORLD VICTIM SUPPORT - 2 posts
Tracing a lawyer - 1 posts
golf courses in and around murcia - 11 posts
moving to spain - 0 posts
insurance needed - 5 posts
SUNDAY DINNER IN OR AROUND MANILVA - 1 posts
Visa electron - 9 posts
Forum signatures need sorting - Your input please - 48 posts
Any recommend a good chiropractor between Gibraltar and Marbella? - 7 posts
Looking for Paul Tobias - 1 posts
how bad is the market? - 9 posts
West Highland White Terrier Puppy wanted - 1 posts
Wireless Internet - 10 posts
Passport validity - 8 posts
How to access the online form for Resident Income Tax 2008 - 9 posts
Vandalism! - 4 posts
Can I delay my completion based on a lack of insurance underwriting of my rental scheme? - 1 posts
Spanish 'Highway Code' - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x