Condensation/Dampness

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar
I wonder if anyone can help out please?
I have heard that if you have a holiday flat/home and it is not used very often that to limit the amount of condensation/dampness there is some sort of white powder substance that can be left in the apartment for long periods of time which soaks up the moisture in the air and stops linen/bedsheets,mattresses and towels becoming damp or cobvered in fungii.
Does anyone know what this is? if it scomes a s a loose poder that you would leave in bowls or something like that and where it can be purchased?
Thanks.
Sharon

Like 0      
08 Jan 2007 4:12 PM by joechristie Star rating in Bacup, Lancashire & .... 64 posts Send private message

joechristie´s avatar

The white powder we use at our holiday home in the Ribble Valley UK is very effective.  It is called salt.  I put bowls of it all over the place, lounge bedrooms etc.

It is also cheap enough to use once & throw away.  In Lancashire we use it to grit the footpath after it has done it's work on the damp but not much call for that in Spain.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2007 4:29 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Yes, salt is very good.  However, if you go to a local ferret shop (ironmonger, ferreteria) in Spain and tell them you have humedad/molde (damp/mould) they will give you a crystalline type powder which is excellent for keeping the humidity out.  It comes loose and we put it tupperware containers.

Also, when you leave your home, make sure the furniture is away from the walls as this allows the air to circulate around and keeps the mould away. We find we get a more musty smell in the house when we are away during the summer rather than in the winter.  The crystals from the ferreteria work like magic and soaks up all the moisture, it is also (believe it not as we live in South Costa Blanca near the huge salt lakes) cheaper than salt.

We also put clothes in plastic hanging bags one year and, when we came back three months later, they had green mould growing on them so we won't do that again in a hurry.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2007 10:51 AM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar

Hi, thanks for the replies everyone.

Can I just ask, are we talking about normal household salt here?

I will also check the ironmongers (if I can find one that is!) re. the other substance.

I'm assuming the salt will do the job for at least a couple of months if an open tub is left in each room??

Thanks

Sharon

Like 0      
09 Jan 2007 3:50 PM by noelandwilma Star rating in Loughborough/Porto F.... 86 posts Send private message

The white powder sounds like silica gel. This is the substance found in the little packets packed in various things. Silica gel will not get soggy like salt will so might be worth locating as it lasts longer.

I don't know if this will work on a large scale or not but I always put some grains of rice in the salt to absorb the moisture and stop the salt becoming damp. Works a treat on a small scale, gotta be worth trying. Good luck.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2007 3:51 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/4/2007.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2007 3:57 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/16/2007.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2007 4:10 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Definitely small world.  We lived in Thorpe Acre for a few years in the 80's.  Now moved megas of miles of away to Markfield (about 4 that is).

Like 0      
09 Jan 2007 6:45 PM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar

Hi,

Thanks again everyone, I just thought about silica gel packets and wonder if that's what the ironmongers are selling?

Anyway I've since been told by the good people on our own thread that there is an ironmongers on the square next to where we have purchased our flat, so think I'll try there first, although our flat isn't ready until end January 2008!!

I'm just trying to sort out little details that I can think of before we actually holiday there!!!

Would never have thought of all these mad questions that everyone asks if it wasn't for this website, it's been the greatest dicovery made and a great help even before we purchased anything for information etc. so a big thank you again to all the Eye on Spain team and of course to everyone who is so helpful and friendly all the time!!

Sharon

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 12:13 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
HI JeansSis - like the new Avatar - where can I get one the same only running round in circles - that seems to be how I spend my life!! Think yours is cooooool but no good to me as I try to think outside the box! LOL

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 12:43 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 9:44 AM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

It is good and forgive my ignorance on matters such as this but where can i get one from?

regards

Regards

John

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 11:51 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi JC1

Here's the link to where I got mine from, they have brilliant ones on there!

http://avatars.jurko.net/

By the way, I sent your tax guide last night, did you get it yet?

Regards

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 12:27 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar
Thanks for the avatar link Fibby - shame that a lot of them are too big to use.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 12:53 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 2:34 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
We can increase the avatar size, it's no problem.  At the moment it's set to 90 x 90 pixels or 32 kb size.  What size would do you think is reasonable to change this to?

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 4:42 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 4:48 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 8:03 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar
Jeans Sis I keep trying to open your pictures but don't have any success - is this because they are too big at the moment on EOS do you think? Would be fun to have the facility to upload better avatars - have a few in mind already!

Like 0      
11 Jan 2007 8:06 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

P.S. Just noticed that it's your birthday today Justin - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Have been reading this site for a while - it's quite compulsive now! Congratulations!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Living Permanently at Roda Golf - 0 posts
MRS STELLA DUNTON - 1 posts
Getting hold of an NIE number - 7 posts
Fuerteventuramar II - 3 posts
Furniture Recommendation - 16 posts
Happy New Year to You All - 0 posts
Finestrat - 1 posts
DISTRESSED PROPERTY SALES - 7 posts
Villa Cashback for For Polaris World - 0 posts
Angel De Miraflores - 17 posts
Pension? - 25 posts
Whats Happening? - 24 posts
State of the rentals market - 14 posts
I'm moving to spain some advice please - 47 posts
caretaker/cleaner - 0 posts
State of the Rentals Market - 14 posts
Ross Legal Services - 3 posts
Developer fees - 3 posts
Spanish Retreat Security, Reduce crime! - 0 posts
Security in the Costa Blanca area - 4 posts
Benahavis - 0 posts
Happy New Year to Justin & The Team & all the Forum Members! - 1 posts
Monte Selwo Up-date - 7 posts
Architects/Project managers/Builders - 4 posts
Contracts - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x