SHOPPING ADVISE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar

A big thank you to whoever suggested I go to Dunnes for bedding/towels etc.etc. mission accomplished. Despite spending two weeks purchasing bits and pieces and doing pretty well - I have not found anywhere near enough pictures. I don't want Spanish bull fighters and flamenco dancers but thought it would be nice to have some art work that reflects Spain. Perhaps some interesting bulidings of Marbella or the surrounding area but where to look? I don't want people to rent our apartment and end up looking at pictures from Ikea!!!! I believe I went everywhere and was very disappointed in what I saw. Of course I saw some beautiful prints in El Cortes Ingles but am not keen to spend 200 euros plus the cost of a frame! If all else fails I suppose I could always take photographs, enlarge them and put them in beautiful frames - but I'm quite lazy and not a great photographer. HELP PLEASE!

I took your advise Inez and did get crockery and cutlery in El Cortes Ingles - much to the annoyance of Armando who wanted me to buy a canteen of cutlery and a 60 piece crockery set for 30 euros in a supermarket!!  

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 11:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Re pictures ... you may think me rather crazy but we had very faded prints in frames in our bedroom here in the UK & I saw this site http://www.jacksonpollock.org/  whilst surfing, as one does. You cannot "right click & save" your designs BUT you CAN print them off straight away, if you like what you've done. There used to a similar thing with real paints at the annual fair in our town, I recall.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun & it was free & it might suit you for a few weeks till you really find something suitable. Bare walls are so .............. well....... bare  Stick them in a clipart frame. Cheap & cheerful.

NB:    Move curser VERY FAST for fine lines & left click to change colour. If you want to finish painting or want to start painting in another area, without painting from where you are to where you want to go, just right click (stops you painting momentarily) & move curser to new area before clicking again. You soon get the hang of it & it's fun to do. 

This message was last edited by morerosado on 10/11/2007.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 8:02 AM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

is there nothing suitable at your local markets? 

Last week I was at the local markets in CB with hubby (who was an art teacher so is rather particular about the quality of  "pictures" we buy) and we can across a couple of stalls (one in particular) who were selling artwork at really good prices.  One stall was selling original artwork on canvas (the paint was still not quite dry on some) and they were really light, and i think they were selling for about 30 euros.  Hubby was particulatly impressed with them.   Another stall had a wider range of work, but they were prints on some kind of laminate, nice though, and ranged from about 20 euro to 60 euro a piece. 

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 10:57 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Sharon - ooops and sorry to Armando, but you cant beat a decent set of cutlery - these items go into peoples mouths and really should be good

Re the pics, for a funtime next time you are over (haha) go to the saturday market in Fuengirola - huge boot sale and loads to all sorts of niknaks etc.

Try some of the second hand shops as well and clearance places from where people are getting rid of alll household stuff. Theresa big new bits and pieces auction house in estepona and there is a long stadning one in la cala as well not far form you.

Happy hunting - love to Armando!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 11:46 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

In the evenings on the paseo Maritimo in Marbella and also in Banus there are some of these street artists that do paintings while you watch using spray oils - awesome smell and yiou get a free high while you watch their work - some quite out if this world desings but sea scapes and moonscapes and landscapes - lots of use of bright colours and I think they can do stuff to order or design - not specifically traditional Spanish but great artwork

PS Tell him not to be a cheapskate - some things are worth spending a bob or two and if he moans tell him its the dough you are saving on fags and if he moans some more tell him to quit!! If he still moans I reckon legal separation is the only answer!!

This message was last edited by Smiley on 10/12/2007.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
12 Oct 2007 12:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

On the other hand there's ALWAYS Justin Pollock

http://www.jacksonpollock.org/

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 12:05 AM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar

I've already blamed you Inez for the cutlery/crockery expenditure! Smiley....Armando has already considered separation but has worked out this would cost him more than a few pieces of china and some knives and forks!!!

I hadn't really thought about the markets but I'm back in November for a few days so will look then. I have been on a art/poster website and found some really nice prints there are 1000's to choose from in every style you can think of - seascapes/food/drink/buildings/figures/maps/fine art. I've seen some great "Spanishy" ones and shall order the prints and get the frames at La Canada or somewhere like.

Morerosada - I tried the Jackson Pollock thing and frankly felt ashamed of my effort! I'm not a very patient person.

This message was last edited by Cioffi1 on 10/13/2007.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2007 8:24 AM by snoozey Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Ive been following this post with interest, to see where people do suggest to buy pictures from in Spain. i too have found no decent picture shops and was waiting to see what suggestions were made.

I have 3 retail shops in Midlands/oxfordshire that sell prints,frames,framed pictures,photo frames,printed canvas,original paintings and cards (bit like Athena) and everytime i visit Spain i always look for a decent picture shop but never come across any. This post now confirms there is a gap in the market for me if i ever dedide to move permantley.

If you do buy prints from the internet try and buy a standard size one i.e 50x40,50x70,60x80 then a good place to buy reasonable empty frames is somewhere like the big DIY shops Leroy Merlin etc

If anybody needs any advice PM me i have over 20 years ofknowledge.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

MARBELLA ILLEGAL LICENCES - 0 posts
Advice from anyone who knows Murcia/Lorca? - 5 posts
UK state Pension - 5 posts
bill & ev marshall (newcastle upon tyne) - 1 posts
SPANISH BANK HOLIDAY - 18 posts
THANKYOU - 2 posts
Completion Dates - 4 posts
Almanzora - 3 posts
competa - 2 posts
HELP NEEDED FOR OUR OWNERS - 12 posts
HELP NEEDED FOR OUR OWNERS... - 6 posts
It's Me -- Again - 0 posts
problem getting power connect. - 0 posts
Where can we buy bicycles? - 3 posts
Help Me Out - 2 posts
SPUD - 10 posts
Filipino In Need of Advice - 0 posts
LONG LET NEEDED - 3 BED IN PLAYA FLAMENCA - 2 posts
CYCLING - 0 posts
On a diet - 23 posts
Questions for anybody who made the move with children - 10 posts
Watching Chelsea in Spain - 1 posts
Salvador Artesano - 24 posts
Advise please on renting in a community - 6 posts
Help! - we've been told we cannot rent ou our apartment! - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x