Spanish Banks??!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Feb 2023 3:22 PM by iznalloz Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

Hi

Can anyone out there recommend a decent bank in Spain that doesn't legally rob you a minimum four times per year?  At least that's how it feels!  

Many moons ago we were spoilt when we held a Halifax bank account in Spain, with no charges whatsoever because we banked with them in the UK. But as per usual all good things come to an end and when it did we were transferred to Sabadell.  They are currently charging us approximately 260+ euros per year!  We don't live there and so only use our debit card to pay Spanish bills online and we use it when we visit once, maybe twice per year.

We used to have a debit card each, but when we realised we were being charged 'maintenance charges' every year per card, we cancelled one and we are currently charged 30 euros for the one card 'maintenance.'  I'm still to be advised of what the actual card 'maintenance' consists of!

Are there any banks in Spain that are a little less greedy, or are we, as long as we hold a bank account there, to be constantly held to ransom? ( Dick Turpin constantly flashes through my mind!!)

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

M&M

Like 0      
20 Feb 2023 5:46 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Welcome to Spain.Think you will find all banks in Spain  have charges, is it free banking in the UK now (many years since i held a UK bank account) don´t know any bank that gives free banking these days  

Like 0      
22 Feb 2023 8:45 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

There was a thread on here a few years ago about using Transferwise, or Wise as they are now called. You can get a virtual account to set up your direct debits, debit card and stuff, with a Spanish IBAN. I keep meaning to change over to it, but haven't got all my direct debit beneficiaries details handy.We are with Sabadell at the moment and our fees are 40€ per quarter.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2023 6:36 PM by neatrees Star rating in Vera Playa. 64 posts Send private message

Openbank, which is Santander's online bank. There are no bank charges because everything is done through an app on your phone or laptop. We have been with them for 4 years and no bank charges. The app has a lot of functionalities in order to manage your finances. I either email or whatsapp them if I have any questions.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2024 7:36 AM by Faingentine Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Thank you for the guided post share.

Tellthebell

This message was last edited by Faingentine on 3/20/2024.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

visa - 1 posts
Why is my TV in Spanish? - 4 posts
moving to spain - 13 posts
Мacaciones en mallorca - 3 posts
mercadona orange juice machines - 2 posts
End of Hits Mobile - 0 posts
MS driving in Spain - 6 posts
3% retention tax rules - 8 posts
Structural Issue - 1 posts
Cachorros de caniche disponibles para adopción gratuita - 0 posts
diagnosing oven fault - 1 posts
How do I upload photos to sell my property? - 3 posts
Court action against decision at AGM - 4 posts
Spam - 8 posts
airport transfer to hotel - 3 posts
Taking a dog to Europe for 2 days - 1 posts
New Won cases 2022 by CostaLuz Lawyers - 0 posts
New Car Warranty….rights - 7 posts
Spain to apply to the EU for the abolition of the 90 / 180 rule for British citizens - 43 posts
Legal - 7 posts
Working in Spain after retiring? - 3 posts
Recommend me an inflatable hot tub - 5 posts
Form 210 - 0 posts
Post Apartment Fire - Technical Report person - 1 posts
Covid entry restrictions lifted - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x