What do you cook when in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Mar 2014 4:42 PM by WiseOldJo Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

When we're in the UK, we have easy access to a wealth of world-wide ingredients in the major supermarkets that allow us to be creative and experimental in our cooking habits. We cook and eat very differently when we're in Spain, because the range of ingredients available to us is not only different, but much smaller. We don't have enough knowledge about local and traditional Spanish recipes to really get into cooking, Spanish-style. Can anyone recommend good Spanish cookery books to help get us started? What do others find themselves cooking and does your diet change when you're in Spain?

Like 0      
17 Mar 2014 5:26 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Smaller range? Don't know where you live but there is virtually nothing we can't get around here.
However, we use a lot of fish, tomatoes, onions, hams and rice. More than we used to in UK.
Each region has its own speciality. Obviously paella but Paella Valenciana differs in that it contains meat and chicken as opposed to shellfish.
Here's one for you.
Cut 3 tomatoes in quarters. Take the centres out and put them aside. Cut the tomato skins into thin slices about 2 inches long.
Chop a medium sized onion.
About 6 of the large peeled prawns you get here.
In a pan, lightly fry the onions until soft. Add the centres of the tomatoes, a large dollop of tomato puree, a little water and some crushed black pepper. Once mixed, leave to simmer gently.
In a frying pan, add some olive oil, put in the prawns and fry very gently until brown.
Add the tomato skin slices and fry for a minute or two.
Add two sprigs of rosemary (it grows wild here all over the place) and a bay leaf (again loads of trees here).
Add a splash of red wine and cook until the alcohol burns off.
Add the tomato and onion mix and some more water if required. Add some oregano to taste. Turn down the heat and gently simmer.
In a pan of boiling water, put some penne pasta. Once tender (about 8 minutes) drain and add to the tomato and prawn mix.
Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan (OK, that's Italian but I haven't found a hard Spanish cheese with the same flavour).

Like 0      
17 Mar 2014 5:58 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

Im a cook in the uk in my own small business, but when in spain even in the winter months I cook light meals for my wife and I but I cant wait to get over full time as the amount of good quality local produce is in abundance in tge local market, as for herbs and spices the market spice man has a massive stall and I cant help myself standinf and smelling ...the spices not me! ? The only thing im not sure about is in the mercadona they sell vac packs of what looks like bone slices and hard sausage I assume there for soups or casserole.

Like 0      
17 Mar 2014 6:21 PM by WiseOldJo Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for the recipe .. will try that one out. We're in rural Andalucia and the local supermarkets don't have a massive range of ingredients. Fresh fruit and veg is no problem ... much better quality in Spain than in the UK. What we were really missing was cooking Indian and South Asian foods - in the UK we would just pop to our local Indian/Pakistani corner shops and get everything we needed. However, we have recently discovered an online shop (not sure if it's okay to post links or not, but if you search Asian Food Online, you'll find it) that does all Asian foods and delivers across Europe, so we're getting back into our curries. And I'd really like to cook more Spanish dishes, so if anyone else has any recipes, they will be very welcome.

Like 1      
17 Mar 2014 6:51 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Torrevieja is not far from us. We are lucky in that there is an Asian supermarket near the bus station which sells all the Indian/Thai/Chinese you name it spices and ingredients at very reasonable prices. They also sell the Asian rices and flours in rather large bags but very cheap. We also have a market near us which sells any type of spice or herb you can name from about 10 different curry powders to fresh saffron. 

Also look in the health food shops. They do things like Taramasalata. Tahini sauce, Manuka honey and so on. Loads of the stuff I haven't even heard of. 

For Spanish dishes in Andalucia, try this site which gives speicialities of each of the main towns there.

One of our favourites is magra, a pork with onion and tomato stew. Delicious with the crispy pan de pueblo.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Torrevieja Sea Front - no looky looky men - 18 posts
filmon - 4 posts
La Zenia to Portaventura - 0 posts
Mal Prosser - 0 posts
Letter of ??? - 2 posts
Really I am getting Fed up - 8 posts
Habitation Certificate - 13 posts
Residency requirements in Spain - 15 posts
Regular IBI Bills? - 5 posts
Astra 28 degrees frequency updates - changes to ITV 4+1 - 0 posts
Car dealers - 4 posts
IHT does this work - 3 posts
Taxi's - 0 posts
EHIC Rights- Useful information for family members coming to visit - 0 posts
Questionnaire - 0 posts
If I knew then what I know now! - 26 posts
TV and Internet costs - 1 posts
What happens if I don't use a flight? - 12 posts
EU Bankers Bonus Capped - UK? - 5 posts
THE CLUBHOUSE IN MANILVA - 1 posts
advice on buying a garage - 3 posts
Statute of limitations - 1 posts
CAR TAX - 15 posts
motorhome insurance - 0 posts
Of course we MUST stay in the EU - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x