Advice please - thinking of closing our bank account to avoid rip-off fees

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jun 2014 5:10 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

We don't have a Sabadell in my area but do have Banesto and Santander. Maybe I'll decide to "swallow" it as like you say Baz things change very quickly in the banking world. Just so long as the UK banks don't follow suit and start charging us wink.

As I said cant say anything about any other banks because have never used any others in Spain, when Sabadell took over all I got to hear about was problems they had given customers in the past so I must admit I was a bit wary of them, especially having the name "Dell" in it as well, but in the short time they have taken over never a problem.....So far.

UK banks are changing, like all everywhere they do, but seem to forget to make the changes perfectly clear, I have no investments in any bank I deal with other then cash in the account so cant even comment on what they would give you if you did have investments with them, I don't trust banks one little bit, well just enough to know not to have any of their investments anyway, and I have first hand experience of how Barclays can make a mess up and expect the customer to accept it, if they can get away with it,  also did hear that Barclays were coming out of Spain if that helps in anyway, perhaps another one for you to avoid.

Like 0      
28 Jun 2014 5:45 AM by pginfo1 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

nice thread getting so much information from here

Like 0      
28 Jun 2014 12:05 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

My neighbour has a holiday home here (she is UK resident.) She pays all her local taxes + house insurance by direct debit through her UK account as far as I know. (Although I have seen 'Halifax Iberia' on her council tax bill.)

Maybe check wtih Halifax/Barclays/other Uk bank that also has branches here?

But I am 90% certain she does not have a Spanish account.

Like 1      
28 Jun 2014 1:11 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Halifax and Barclays are pulling out of Spain.  Halifax and Lloyds were the same but have been taken over by Sabadell. Barclays may be taken over by Caixa bank.

You can pay direct debits from UK with no charge if the bank has signed up to SEPA (Single European Payment Area) but some are dragging their heels.

By "free" it means the transfer is free but the UK banks can still charge the foreign exchange currency fee which can be as much as 2.5% of the transaction plus their exchange rate which can vary between banks. Check with your bank in UK if they have signed up to SEPA and what their currency charges are. You will need an IBAN & BIC for these transactions.

Like 1      
28 Jun 2014 1:28 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

Thank you bobaol ..

I use my UK First Direct account for money transfers via SEPA. Currently they are only charging 4GBP per tranaction. (It used to be 9GBP!)  

Would have to see what they wanted if I asked to pay Spanish bills by DD :) 

Like 0      
28 Jun 2014 1:54 PM by marlowjen Star rating. 72 posts Send private message

Hi and as much as I love my First Direct account as their staff are the best ever, I now transfer monies over with Currencyfair based in Dublin and London. Their rates are much better than F D and they charge just 3€. I am very pleased with their service and very helpful staff.

Like 0      
02 Jul 2014 7:24 PM by marlowjen Star rating. 72 posts Send private message

Sorry but I meant a charge of £3 and not euros.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Charity shop opening hours - 2 posts
Exclusivity with estate agent. - 86 posts
stopovers Madrid to Malaga - 2 posts
URGENT SALE - this week - 0 posts
Do we or don't we?! - 6 posts
Hello all at Eye on Spain - a little advice please? - 5 posts
The property market is being demolished ! - 6 posts
Arriving at Santander and driving to Murcia - 1 posts
How long does the purchase take to compete? - 22 posts
Taxi to St Javier Airport - 5 posts
translators - 1 posts
car ownership - 1 posts
solar panels - 2 posts
RESIDENCIA - The truth............... - 9 posts
Statute of limitation - 2 posts
More nonsense about abortion - 18 posts
Interenet Providers S. Costa Blanca - 2 posts
How many suitcase - 5 posts
Murcia Appeal Court asks Corvera to refund based on lack of advertised facilities - 4 posts
Endesa - 9 posts
Change to tax rate for non resident home owners?? - 48 posts
Four foot pedals - no handbrake. - 4 posts
Telefonica/Movistar the most useless company on this planet. - 18 posts
Bought a French car with the intention of taking it to Spain – not a straightforward process. - 3 posts
WANTED flat to share on Costa del Sol - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x