Hi I'm new here.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Apr 2013 11:55 AM by Brian71 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi all I have just joined.I will at some point be looking for advice on buying property and areas to buy,cheers

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 1:04 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

you will be overwhelmed! just put whatever you are looking for in the search box and prepare to be informed, amused, annoyed, bored, disgusted etc....!

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 1:22 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Brian71

Hi all I have just joined.I will at some point be looking for advice on buying property and areas to buy,cheers

Boy are you in for a shock asking that!.

Don't buy in Spain, you wont get any work.... if you do get work you will work twice the hours you do now.....you will be ripped of by everyone.....the tax laws will cripple you..... the planning laws will break your heart....the house you buy you will never re-sell....the house you buy will drop to nothing in value....break your leg and you have had it.... tooth ache forget it......the cold in winter will kill you....heating don't exist.... the heat in summer will boil you....the cooling bills will drain your account....the area you buy in will be full of Brits...everyone else builds without planning.... but..you.. will need a thousand planning certificates.. when the house is built it will be pulled down..... the legal papers you have wont be legal... .the Spanish wont like you....the Brits wil butl for a short while....the cops will stop and fine you every week.... the food is dearer then Africa... cost of living beats Monaco......licence needed for this.... licence needed for that......and a thousand more reason as to.......Don't.

None of this please note are not in any way shape or form my views. 

Have to wonder why so many who live in Spain are still in Spain. 

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 1:30 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Welcome brian 71.  If you go to the fco dot gov site for Spain you will get most of your questions answered properly.  You will get some good advice on here, amongst some pretty bad advice as well (even the right way to go around a roundabout gets 10 different views).  Once you know the area you want to move to make a few visits and look around.  Property is very cheap at the moment and there are some good bargains out there.  We are thoroughly enjoying our time here and it is one of the best decision we ever made.  Bureaucracy will drive you mad sometimes (the Spanish have elevated it to an art form) but it is quite simple to get it all done depending on the area you move to.  Some appear helpful, others not so (my area now is excellent but just 10 k up the road it is a nightmare).

Best of luck

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 1:30 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Welcome brian 71.  If you go to the fco dot gov site for Spain you will get most of your questions answered properly.  You will get some good advice on here, amongst some pretty bad advice as well (even the right way to go around a roundabout gets 10 different views).  Once you know the area you want to move to make a few visits and look around.  Property is very cheap at the moment and there are some good bargains out there.  We are thoroughly enjoying our time here and it is one of the best decision we ever made.  Bureaucracy will drive you mad sometimes (the Spanish have elevated it to an art form) but it is quite simple to get it all done depending on the area you move to.  Some appear helpful, others not so (my area now is excellent but just 10 k up the road it is a nightmare).

Best of luck

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 2:00 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

baz1946-couldn't have put it better myself!

Seriously, if you're wondering why so many Brits are still in Spain-tried selling a house recently?

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 2:56 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Seriously, if you're wondering why so many Brits are still in Spain-tried selling a house recently?

I did, couple of weeks before Xmas, took 5 days to sell, about 3/4 to fully complete and that was because i was in the UK and couldn't get their a week earlier.

Couple of things i must add though......

Did i sell to cheap?.....Wont ever know that one, whats the correct price? the one you sold it for....or the price you want and don't sell it at..... You will only know the true price of anything by the offer you turn down.   I do know of a couple near by mine that went for cheaper money some weeks earlier.

Was the house in the right position?.....Yes i think so, had looked around for a fair while before i bought this one, and this one was..in only my opinion, in a superb position, so that had to help.

Wont ever, never buy an apartment, they to me seem to be the worst thing to sell...again only my opinion, never had one so don't know for sure.

Was i lucky? .....Could have been i suppose, as is with everything you sell you only want that one buyer, and yet my buyers did look around at many others, and came back to mine, their words were.... "Had to buy it before someone else bought it".

Did i lose money on the sale?.....No.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 3:00 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Not all people who are selling want to return to UK. Rather it appears that the original area they chose is not for them because they didn't do their homework properly but on one inspection trip were seduced by the sun ,and even though prices were high, were able to buy a property twice the size at half the cost to that in UK.

Friends of ours would relocate to Camposol in an instant if they could sell because to be in Brit community with a small garden and close neighbours would be ideal and other folk we know moved here from Camposol for the very reason our friends want to go there.

If you are really serious Brian71 and don't need to work, then suggest you come over ,travel around, and find a place that you could possibly call home. Preferably renting initially.

Unless of course your initial enquiry was buying properties to rent out. In which case suggest any of the well known resorts.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 7:49 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
As I've said to other folks, more important than exactly where in Spain you go, is deciding what TYPE of lifestyle you want. Think about whether you want to live in a beach resort apartment, or an urbanisation (a "community", with shared pool etc, a committee, and a service charge), or in a little mostly-Spanish village with bars and bakeries in walking distance, or a villa in the countryside (the "campo") with lots of space but needs a car every time you leave the house.

I strongly believe that if you get THAT right, then the exact location matters less.

Good luck, and keep asking anything you want to know :-). You could try looking at my blog (link below) which is criticised by some for being too "happy", so also look at eggcup's blog called "Arguing Over Olives" for a good representation of many of e things that can go wrong.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New Government plan to boost jobs & property market - 1 posts
Bringing UK hard-disk recorder - 2 questions - 7 posts
walking dogs - 17 posts
rental agreement need advice??? - 4 posts
Habitation certificate - 106 posts
About to get my account suspended so i will just leave - 1 posts
Having spanish empolyees based spain for a UK comapny - 3 posts
Alebs - 2 posts
CAM paying Eurohouse clients without a Bank Guarantee - 2 posts
Aifos showing Bank accounts - 28 posts
Rural Property Taxes - 0 posts
Sky UK to add subtitles to FTA channels - Sky News, Pick TV & Challenge. - 0 posts
Isobel - 2 posts
What social class are you? - 18 posts
New Double Taxation Agreement between Spain and UK - 65 posts
even more rentals will become illegal - 3 posts
Buyers Commission !! - 5 posts
Rossetti buy me some beer - 2 posts
I apologise for mistake with moderator - 3 posts
Drawing a line in the sand (again) - 2 posts
Hoping to move my family and I to Spain!! - 46 posts
Communication with clients by Costa Luz Lawyers - 9 posts
housing shortage in malaga - 0 posts
Squatting - 11 posts
ANYBODY NEED ANYTHING BRINGING FROM UK TO SPAIN AROUND MAY 20TH - CAN BRING DOGS IF NEEDED - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x