Bringing UK hard-disk recorder - 2 questions

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Apr 2013 9:16 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Two questions for people good at sorting telly stuff. My hard-disk recorder /DVD player has arrived from the UK. Q1 is can I change the plug to a Spanish one, or is it one of those things with some sort of built-in transformer-thingie that means I should leave it as it is and stick an adapter on it? Q2 is will the damn thing work? I plan to stick it in the bedroom where I have UK tv via a sat-dish that was there when I moved in, and I added a €50 box that gets all the channels for free. So somehow I would need to join the TV, the box, and the hard-disk recorder together (am I right to assume the hard-disk recorder won't replace the little Spanish box?), and then will I be able to set it to record stuff? And how will I juggle three sets of remotes?

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
05 Apr 2013 10:30 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Yes, you can change the plug.
If it has a built in freeview receiver, it can replace your Spanish tdt box. Simply coonect the aerial to the dvd player in and then the aerial out to the TV. Run a channel scan and you should get the Spanish channels.
Connect the satellite receiver to the recorder via a scart lead then another scart lead to the TV. You will need to change the input on the recorder to be able to change from Spanish TDT to satellite. Use another scart lead from the satellite to the TV so you can watch satellite whilst recording tdt or vice versa. The scart outputs should be marked TV, DVD etc and the recorder should have inputs marked.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 8:45 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Oh brilliant, thanks bobaol. I put up an aerial giving me normal Spanish tv in the lounge, and the sat dish that was there when I moved in gives me UK tv in the bedroom. I want to attach the recorder to the UK setup. Slightly confused by your response as your first suggestion is to REPLACE the tdt box (would this work? My UK recorder / freeview box was not for satellite). Then you explain how to have tv, tdt box, AND recorder all connected in series. Should I try both methods?

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 10:56 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

No. your dvd recorder should replace the Spanish TDT box if it has freeview.  You won't need the Spanish box unless you want ot record off one channel on TDT and watch another channel on TDT.

Take the TDT box out of the equation and put the aerial into the DVD recorder aerial in socket.  Then another aerial lead from the DVD aerial out socket to the TV.  Then run a a channel scan and you should now have the Spanish channels on the DVD recorder.

You can now put the Spanish box in a cupboard somewhere to gather dust.

To get the satellite onto the DVD recorder then the TV, use a scart lead from the satellite box to the DVD recorder then another scrt lead from the DVD recorder to the TV.  You are now set up to watch and record both TDT and satellite via your DVD recorder.

So you can watch satellite whilst recording TDT, use a scart from your TV socket on the satellite box direct to the TV.  

Good luck.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 12:07 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
OK, I think that makes sense, thanks bobaol. Though there is no aerial .... just the cable from the satellite (I'm guessing you're saying aerial as a shorthand). Well there IS an aerial for Spanish TV but that's cabled into the salon - different telly, different room. So I'm not using the UK recorder to get freeview channels, only to connect to the telly which gets the satellite ie UK channels. I'm sorry, I feel like I'm rambling, but it is all a bit muddled :-). Anyway I'll just do it and see what happens.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 12:22 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Right, I thought you had the Spanish TDT box connected to the telly in the bedroom.  You just need the scart leads, then.  From the satellite recorder out to the scart on the DVD recorder satellite in.  Then a scart from the DVD recorder TV out to the TV scart socket.  

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 1:06 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Tamaraessex--once you have used one of these recorder boxes, you will never use a DVD recorder again. I am assuming you have something like a Humax box? They are brilliant, and it's nice to watch a recorded programme and fast forward the adverts!

Like 0      
06 Apr 2013 1:06 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Tamaraessex--once you have used one of these recorder boxes, you will never use a DVD recorder again. I am assuming you have something like a Humax box? They are brilliant, and it's nice to watch a recorded programme and fast forward the adverts!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

walking dogs - 17 posts
rental agreement need advice??? - 4 posts
Habitation certificate - 106 posts
About to get my account suspended so i will just leave - 1 posts
Having spanish empolyees based spain for a UK comapny - 3 posts
Alebs - 2 posts
CAM paying Eurohouse clients without a Bank Guarantee - 2 posts
Aifos showing Bank accounts - 28 posts
Rural Property Taxes - 0 posts
Sky UK to add subtitles to FTA channels - Sky News, Pick TV & Challenge. - 0 posts
Isobel - 2 posts
What social class are you? - 18 posts
New Double Taxation Agreement between Spain and UK - 65 posts
even more rentals will become illegal - 3 posts
Buyers Commission !! - 5 posts
Rossetti buy me some beer - 2 posts
I apologise for mistake with moderator - 3 posts
Drawing a line in the sand (again) - 2 posts
Hoping to move my family and I to Spain!! - 46 posts
Communication with clients by Costa Luz Lawyers - 9 posts
housing shortage in malaga - 0 posts
Squatting - 11 posts
ANYBODY NEED ANYTHING BRINGING FROM UK TO SPAIN AROUND MAY 20TH - CAN BRING DOGS IF NEEDED - 0 posts
Building Costs Spain - 2 posts
Embargo on our house info please - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x