Driving to Spain from UK.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Mar 2013 3:01 PM by Delbhoy Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi guys, was wondering if any one has driven from the UK to Alicante/Murcia region, and if so is there any advice, tips etc we could use, looking to head over end of June for a month and wife doesnt want to leave the dog for so long a time, so driving over with the dog seems the best/only option, Im the only driver so would be looking to stop over somewhere in France (probably) but would need to be somewhere that takes dogs, looking for the quickest route, thanks in advance.

Del

Like 0      
25 Mar 2013 5:47 PM by KJL Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

I have been driving down for the last 5 years and did it 3 times last year as I was bringing goods to furnish a flat I bought. Like you I am the only driver.

I don't like paying toll charges so my advice relates to non toll routes.

The least driving route is getting a Britany Ferry from Portsmouth/Plymouth to Santander/Bilbao and you can drive down from there to Alicante in a day easily. The only downside is that the ferry is quite expensive unless you manage to find a special offer. I have done this route a couple of times.

My usual route is to get a Dover/Calais ferry or Eurotunnel and dive through France roughly via Rouen, Tours, Poiters, Bordeaux and Pau. The first time I drove down and not being sure how long it would take me I made overnight stops at Rouen, Bordeux and Zaragoza in Spain. I found out I was arriving at my next stopover by late afternoon so now I only have two stopovers. Going down I usually stop the first night somewhere between Evereux and Blois and the second night at Pau Lescar. For the return journey I stop at Pau again but stop further North in France, somewhere between Blois and Rouen, depending on how much time I want to spend shopping in Calais. I usually stop in B & B Hotels or Etap Hotels which are now rebranded Ibis Budget. They cost 40-50 euros for a double bedroom and buffet breakfast extra. They can be booked online and if you are delayed you can still get in as they have automated machines outside to give you your room number and entry code to get in. Also, if you are delayed and want to alter your plans you can cancel it for free if you notify them before 18.00

Although I don't go on the peage I should think about 60-70% of the route in France is on dual/three lane carriageways and 80% in Spain. Watch out for speed cameras in France, they are not like ours but grey square boxes, some about 1m high and others 2m high. Up until last year they had to by law put a warning sign before them, but not any more. They have left these notices up but on the newer ones if you see a digital readout sign with your speed expect a speed camera within the next 0 - 5 kms. 

I hope this is helpful, if I haven't covered all you want to know, let me know and if I can answer it I will and if I can't I am sure somebody else on here will.

I have a friend who drives down with only one stopover at Bordeaux, but it is too much for me.

I have just thought, if you want to spend a few Euros on tolls, I would consider the peage from Boulonge to Abbevillle, which I think is about 15-20 euros, as the non peage route is a bit slow and twisty and every time I say I will try it but haven't put my hand in my pocket yet.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2013 7:55 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Not really about the driving, more about the dog...  You will have yo make sure that the dog has a UK Pet Passport, is microchipped and has current Rabies vaccinations. The dogs passport will be checked at theUK ferryport of your choice abd its microchip read to ensure it is the one referred to in the passport.

On your return to the UK,  you will need to have your dog treated at a vets for tapeworm not less than 24hrs and not more than 120hrs before arrival at the UK Ferryport. The time and date of the vets treatment will need to be entered in the passport. For more info see

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/#a

Hope this helps

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
26 Mar 2013 3:26 PM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

Pretty much the same as KJL says. We get the chunnel over first thing and then a drive to Bordeux. We stopped off at a city hotel (40 Euros for a double room) left there about 9am in the morning and got to Cuidad Quesada at 8.30pm that evening. We did have quite a few small stops to stretch legs. This was with one driver too. However we did have an allowance built in time wise in case Ian needed to stop driving due to being tired and we had researched the route and looked up hotels etc. This is ok if driving in the off season. I should imagine that during peak time you might ahve to have booked the accomadation in advance.

Angie

Like 0      
31 Mar 2013 8:14 PM by Delbhoy Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Cheers guys, will check ferry prices etc and if i need anymore info I will get back to you.

Thanks very much for the replies, Del.

PS and speak to vet.

Like 0      
08 May 2013 12:17 AM by Lin-marguerite Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

We have just driven down to the Costa del Sol with three dogs. We took the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry which has pet friendly cabins so you can keep your pet with you. We thought that the price was comparable to the other routes through France as we didn't have to stop anywhere overnight and of course we saved on fuel costs.
Lin

Like 0      
08 May 2013 6:27 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I've never been able to make the ferry crossing prices work out lessthan the driving costs ?

I spent 2 days poring over ferries, etc; last week & the best I could find was £280 out & £408 coming back. I'm certainly not going to be spending over 800€ return,on diesel & boat over at Calais.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2013 8:25 AM by alaska Star rating in Herts/Almeria. 15 posts Send private message

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the road works through and around Rouen are now complete?

We prefer the route to Spain through Rouen but got caught up in roadworks and diversions in Feb and May. Adds a lot of time to the journey. Anybody been this way recently??

Like 0      
19 Jun 2013 2:29 PM by david-11 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Just a matter of interest re tolls, the French have now, between April and June 2013, installed booths between Bordeaux  and Spanish border (3 in total) not a lot of money at each one but across all three worth being aware.

Dave

Like 0      
19 Jun 2013 8:48 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

Hello,

We drove down to Murcia last year in a motorhome on the Dover- Dunkirk route.  Went on motorways all the way and took the hit on tolls about a £100 right across France, paid by debit card swipe and its easy to pass through . Stopped first night near Clement Ferrand then one night 50 miles from Spains border. Last day of three we drove from France to Spain border and then on all day 9am to 9 pm as far as Mazzaron . Used three full tanks of fuel  at 34 MPG and that was from newcastle so aprox £240 in fuel £150 in tolls .  If you put accomodation at  £50 a night on top then Sea dosnt seems so expensive and Spains roads are incredible , quietest in Europe and not many tolls.

if I was you with the "four legged friend" I would get the Ferry to Santander and let the boat take the strain  fFom the Ferry Port Santander about 8 to 9 hours gets you from Santander to Murcia.

You can checkout the costs by going to Google     www. Mitchelin Road Maps europe and it will give the... cost for car... cost for tolls the time.. the route and show the map etc etc

This message was last edited by aliton on 19/06/2013.

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

"Dick van Turpin" raids Cypriot Residents Savings. Is it Legal ? - 16 posts
Problems with vodafone.es web site? - 3 posts
uk home - 0 posts
Book about living in benidorm - 1 posts
Car to Spain - 1 posts
filling in yearly spanish tax forms - 14 posts
Spains deserted Motorways... Prime example of Euro wastage.? - 10 posts
help needed please - 3 posts
Definitive Swimming Pool Size / Lifeguard Regulations Wanted - 11 posts
Do you need a TA1 form to get a Tarjeta Sanitaria - 6 posts
WANTED info left hand drive for right hand drive - 3 posts
Aparthoteles failures - 0 posts
Exchange Spanish car for British - 2 posts
Advice sought regarding the transfer of a vehicle in Spain - 7 posts
mooring in Lo Pagan,Mar Menor,Murcia. - 1 posts
Solar tank - 6 posts
Swimming Pool Filter - 0 posts
Looking for a Shih Tzu - 3 posts
11 month rental contract - 13 posts
Royal British Legion - 0 posts
Mungry Out - 5 posts
Iberdrola excessive charge - 10 posts
swede trying to locate property in spain, will pay for help - 5 posts
What do I need to know about living in Spain? - 8 posts
Property swaps - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x