Falling pound, but a silver lining

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2013 3:36 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

When the pound was 1.25 to the euro 50,000  = £40,000

Now at 1.14 it is =  £43,850

So one can have more GBPs before needing to declaring

By 30th April, if it continues to fall, and is say on par,   then that’s £50,000

There's always a silver lining !!!!!

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 4:48 PM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Fraid not, you have to use the official rate as the 31st December.

Personally, I always use the ECB official rate, which is published daily. For the 31st December the rate was £0.8161 per €1 or €1.22534 per £1.

If a person holds a foreign account whose balance is in a currency other than the euro and required to file information return for the model 720, what exchange rate should be applied to determine each of the balances to report? What if he had canceled the current account during the year?

Must report the balances of the current account using the exchange rates prevailing at December 31 of the year to which the information declared. This same reference will be made ​​in relation to the assessment of the average balance of the last quarter for each account. 
In the event of termination of ownership of the account during the year and declare any obligation, shall be used to determine the type of balance rate prevailing on the date of termination of such ownership

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 4:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

My post was of course tongue in cheek.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 1:04 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

with the greatest of respect

no it wasnt

you were caught out with incorrect facts and you backslid to try and save face.

This message was last edited by Mungry on 23/02/2013.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 8:06 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hahahahahah

Good to see you Mungry joining in the joke.

Of course, I should not have joked about such a serious subject, as others living entirely on sterling based income which is limited, must be finding the falling pound difficult to cope with.  But hopefully no one will have thought for a moment I was being serious.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 10:34 AM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

Its good for those of us who live and are paid in the Eurozone

For us we plan to spend a month in the UK later in the year. Although I've lived in France for 30 years I've never been to the UK so am looking forward to visiting and the continual planned devaluation of Sterling by the UK will only help us spend less than we had planned.

We may even extend our trip and be able to see more than we had planned.

So for us a Siver Lining.

Rossetti

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 12:31 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Bet a lot of people are thinking they come under the threshold until they convert pounds to euros!

What a nightmare this new ruling is-not a way to encourage people to move to Spain

Why isn't the Hacienda doing anything about those who have lived here for years, never registered on theSpanish tax system, and are therefore under the radar?

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 12:42 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

On 31st December 2012 ,  the pound was at 1.2307 so £40,627 = 50,000 €

Why isn't the Hacienda doing anything about those who have lived here for years, never registered on theSpanish tax system, and are therefore under the radar?

Camplo,  
                 I understand the new legislation is to catch precisely those (Spanish as well) who are tax resident but have not paid their due tax.

Whether it will work, will have to be seen.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 12:52 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

Campansol,

the system in Spain seems unable to track or trace people so how would those living under the radar be caught.

We rent a house in Sotogrande from a landlord that has 3 villas, lives in Gibraltar and we pay him cash as we do our staff, We have been in Spain for several weeks and paid cash for everything except flights ( who wanted cars).

We intend to stay here on and off for 12-months and to date have not found anyone who would prefer cards or cheques (ours are on French banks) to cash.

My initial view is that there are few paying tax, even our vet takes cash and provides an appropriate discount.

Cash seems to be king in Spain.

Rossetti

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 12:58 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

We purchased a Home in Spain in September last year ( 2012) when we achieved 1.24 Euros to the pound exchange rate so I suppose the house has technically  up in value by about 11c per Euro we paid for it. Only problem on the downside is our spending money has gone down so I suppose you could say swings and roundabouts.

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 1:04 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Rossetti  some might think that you are taking advantage of the taxes we pay which provide the services, which you are enjoying. You may say, you spend money here, so do the rest of us taxpayers.   I do think that most of us here would not thank the thief who steals from our handbags, but instead we would hope they get caught. 

I assume you know that no one is really anonymous on the internet, so boasting that you intend not paying taxes is somewhat foolish, dare I say, even for a man.

This message was last edited by elaineG on 23/02/2013.

This message was last edited by elaineG on 23/02/2013.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 1:44 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

ElaineG

I guess the folks that take my money pay tax. I guess the landlord, stores, restaraunts, gas stations and service suppliers pay he appropriate taxes.

I'm from France on a sabbitical and see no reasons to register or pax taxes as my salary is paid and taxed in France. I can see no reason to register in the Spanish systems as my cars are from France, I pay my taxes in France and have a home in france,  we have had wealth tax for a while so am not against paying my share. Just not to Spain.

I dont use any of the government supplied service. Our landlord even supplies his own security on his properties.

Go after the residents not your visitors who spend plenty on a long term holiday.

Rossetti

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:07 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Rossetti if your stay is longer than 183 days, in all, not consecutive, over one year then you will be tax resident in Spain!

Johnx-everyone who registers on the foreigners register, or obtains free medical care  is traceable by the Hacienda.Why doesn't it have a list of them supplied by the police station and social security. Why isn't everyone who registers reminded of their tax obligations by being given a tax info sheet?

Spain and Greece are in a mess due in no small way to the black economy, annd boy are we being punished for it! 

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:19 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

Campansol

how would the authorities know how many days we spend n Spain in any given 12-months?

How can I be tax resident when I liveand pay my (very considerable) taxes in France?

Is there really a consolidated record of border transfers between Spain, Portugal, France and anyother country we fly into outof from Spain.

If my experience of trying to get an answer from Spain about a 12-moth visa is anything to go by it depends on the day of the week the office or officer you approach as too what the answer will be.

I'm happy doing my bit for the Spanish economy by spreading my long service year money it's upto the Residents of Spain I pay monet too to pay taxes. We in France have given enough to Spain already through our taxes.

Rossetti

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:20 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

camposol,

You don't seem to understand how things work in Spain,  Avoiding tax, black money etc... are sociably acceptable in countries such as Greece and Spain.  Everybody does it to different degrees.  Doing things properly in Spain gets you nowhere. 

Although Rossetti has only been in Spain a short while, it didn't take him/her long to "get" how things work here

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:26 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo, not sure exactly where you are coming from with this.

An NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) is the unique number by which everyone with one is traceable.  Also, all transactions made by that person, if they use the number, can be traced, including all bank accounts, utility bills, etc.

As for telling people that they must pay tax, where would one stop ?

Rossetti if your stay is longer than 183 days, in all, not consecutive, over one year then you will be tax resident in Spain!

From what he has posted, here and on other threads,  it is clear that he knows his obligations, but he says he will just ignore them.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:32 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

If someone has registered on the foreiners register, then he/she is living here permanently and is liable for tax, so suerely if the Hacienda is given a list of them, they can check whether they are making declarations.Also one has to be on the register to access free medical care, so again that is another way of the hacienda finding out who should be registered on the tax system, and consequently following them up.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:37 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo  the NIE is the fiscal (tax / Hacienda) number.  So of course they 'know' everyone who has one, I believe they issue it, for sure it is not the police.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:41 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

so why aren't they chasing up all these tax avoiders, many of them pensioners ,been here for years, who have no inention of paying tax here. This new rule is more likely to put them off, not register on the tax system!

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 2:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo, don't ask me, ask Hacienda

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A building not conforming to current standards, what does this mean? - 6 posts
Looking for second airconditioning unit. - 3 posts
Lack of Response by Spanish entities. - 1 posts
Car Insurance in Spain - 4 posts
Out of the blue Social Security Bill for 7.5k - 13 posts
Longer term Car Rental on Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Empty Van travelling to Ireland on 21st March 2013 - 0 posts
Has The Classifieds been invaded by nutters? - 2 posts
Do I get my own civil servant ? - 14 posts
EZGO Electric Golf Buggy for Sale - 0 posts
IBI After Selling - 3 posts
Caravan Parking Place Wanted - 0 posts
legal 'larger style'taxis from AlicanteAirport to Torrevieja - 1 posts
British citizens in Spain urged to make correct use of European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) - 10 posts
The UK Mortgage rates might help your Spanish property dream. - 2 posts
Infant Schooling here in Spain - 2 posts
El COTO VERA - 1 posts
BBC 2 HD on it's way to satellite - 0 posts
Changes to Eutelsat 28A UK & English TV Costa Blanca & Calida - 0 posts
Car Hire Spain.. Whens the best time to book ? - 2 posts
Southern Spain - 2 posts
IBERIAN AIRLINE STRIKES - 1 posts
Astra 2E & 2G - upcoming UK satellite TV changes. - 1 posts
Legal tip 901. Grazalema-- our family hometown--mentioned among best in Spain by FT - 0 posts
Lecture on New Foreign Laws - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x