Out of the blue Social Security Bill for 7.5k

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2013 10:19 AM by craigedmonds Star rating in Marbella. 28 posts Send private message

craigedmonds´s avatar

Hi All,

Wondering if someone can help me.

Out of the blue yesterday I have received a notfication from social security which basically looks like a bill demanding payment.

Its for €5199 + €1,039 in "recargo" + €1,217 in "interest", a total of €7,456.

I have little idea what this is for and no way I can pay all of this at once and a little stressed out about it.

Does anyone know if I am able to pay this in installments?
If I ignore this notification, what happens? Do I get a knock on the door next week and they take my sofa, tv and the kids beds?
Should I get some legal advice? (if so who exactly?)

Thanks for any help or advice on this one!

Spain is a seriously oppresive country and my fear is that if I dont pay it they will come to our home and take everything away!

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 10:47 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

looking into it now

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 10:50 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I would suggest you go to your gestor if you have one and find out why they have sent you it out of the blue. If it turns out it is correct Social Security are like any other company, they want to get paid and they will accept installments which will be fixed to monthly payments on the same day each month but there are some conditions. I suggest you look into it as soon as possible. It won't go away and they will start to seize money from your bank accounts and restrict your assets.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 1:00 PM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

Don't leave it - they will embargo your bank account if they request the money from the bank and you don't have the money to pay.  If you don't have a gestor, I'd suggest that you first contact your bank to see if they have tried to take any money.  If they have, get a copy of the request.  Go to the Social Security office and ask to see the form  you signed to pay Social Security.  If they haven't asked your bank for a payment, this is probably an error.  If you did not sign to pay Social Security, then you will need to contest it in writing and get someone to write a letter to them in Spanish explaining that you have been to the office, and there is no record of the signed form.  Send this recorded delivery.  If you did sign the form to pay Social Security, then you should ask why they have not requested this money before and request that you pay in instalments.  If you are not working, then you should get deregistered as soon as possible, as the amount will mount up, and they will add fines.

I also had a problem with the Social Security just taking money from my bank when I hadn't signed a form.  I eventually got it refunded.

Hope this helps.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 2:39 PM by craigedmonds Star rating in Marbella. 28 posts Send private message

craigedmonds´s avatar

Should I find a Gestor in Marbella that can do all of this for me? ie, go to SS office and request the information and explain it to me etc.

My Spanish is not brilliant and I would imagine that English wont be spoken in the SS office.

If it turns out that I do actually owe this, what chances do you think I could avoid paying the outrageous penalties which basically amounts to 46% of charges. The amount owed is saying 5.2k yet the charges they are imposing are 2.2k. Thats insane!

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 3:21 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Welcome to SPAIN have a nice day

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 3:26 PM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

You should be able to find a gestor in Marbella who can do this for you.   You need to find out if it's kosher first.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 3:52 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

What a nightmare! Even if it's a mistake, it will be stressful, both financially and emotionally to get it sorted.

Seems the tax office can do what it likes

Is Spain a good place to live, what with new draconian tax laws(see letter in Costa Blanca News)I suppose the "Stepford" expats will take it in their stride while they quaff red wine on their terrace, surveying their assets.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 1:07 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

your chances of not paying the intrerest are slim to none.

this is heavy stuff and they mean business.

stop your life and fix this because if you dont the penaltys will increase greatly and they will start taking your stuff forcibly.

i bolded it above for a reason.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 1:11 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Go to Bocanera gestor in Marbella.
They have a big corner office with a sign in.

http://www.bocanegra.com/web/indexen.html

these guys and they speak perfect english

Like 0      
23 Feb 2013 6:04 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

"if it turns out that I do actually owe this, what chances do you think I could avoid paying the outrageous penalties which basically amounts to 46% of charges. The amount owed is saying 5.2k yet the charges they are imposing are 2.2k. Thats insane! "

Same as UK. Just look at the taxmans new 'name & shame' tax debtors list.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 6:31 PM by vantage Star rating in Murcia. 43 posts Send private message

vantage´s avatar

@ the OP, what do you mean "if I owe this"? Surely you must know?

Have you even been registered as "autonomo" in Spain? If you don't cancel it this is what can happen.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 8:45 PM by craigedmonds Star rating in Marbella. 28 posts Send private message

craigedmonds´s avatar

@vantage

I have been self employed in spain for 12 years and recently stopped.

I am aware that there is a couple of missed payments but not 5k worth which is equivalent to almost 20 months.

Hence.....I require proof and explanation from SS of exactly what they are asking and this is why I am coming on here to ask if anyone knows a Gestor with experience in this situation becasue if they turn around and I do in fact owe this much, I dont want to come home one day to find the social secury collections team taking away my tv and my kids beds and anything else they feel is worth something.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 11:42 PM by vantage Star rating in Murcia. 43 posts Send private message

vantage´s avatar

They got mine wrong once and I received a recorded delivery letter stating that I needed to pay for a month after I had ceased being autonomo. I handed it all to my assesor who dealt with it successfully.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Longer term Car Rental on Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Empty Van travelling to Ireland on 21st March 2013 - 0 posts
Has The Classifieds been invaded by nutters? - 2 posts
Do I get my own civil servant ? - 14 posts
EZGO Electric Golf Buggy for Sale - 0 posts
IBI After Selling - 3 posts
Caravan Parking Place Wanted - 0 posts
legal 'larger style'taxis from AlicanteAirport to Torrevieja - 1 posts
British citizens in Spain urged to make correct use of European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) - 10 posts
The UK Mortgage rates might help your Spanish property dream. - 2 posts
Infant Schooling here in Spain - 2 posts
El COTO VERA - 1 posts
BBC 2 HD on it's way to satellite - 0 posts
Changes to Eutelsat 28A UK & English TV Costa Blanca & Calida - 0 posts
Car Hire Spain.. Whens the best time to book ? - 2 posts
Southern Spain - 2 posts
IBERIAN AIRLINE STRIKES - 1 posts
Astra 2E & 2G - upcoming UK satellite TV changes. - 1 posts
Legal tip 901. Grazalema-- our family hometown--mentioned among best in Spain by FT - 0 posts
Lecture on New Foreign Laws - 0 posts
What is the best thing for damp ? - 9 posts
Looking for King Billy! - 1 posts
Job available in Valencia - no replies so far! - 0 posts
Expats from Jersey - 1 posts
travel insurance from spain to usa for short trip - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x