Bifocals -v- Varifocals

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Oct 2012 8:50 PM by jinxy Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

I have had varifocals for a number of years but never been really satisfied with them. I find the 'reading' part not strong enough for me and have been told by the Opticians that they cannot be made any stronger. I think that bifocals may be the answer as they have a definite distance/reading lens rather than a gradual lens - are there any bifocal wearers out there to pass on any info?  

Like 0      
24 Oct 2012 9:57 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi Jinxy,

I have tried both bi-focals and vari-focals.  at frst I couldn't get on with the vari-focals and switched to bi-focals but soon realised that bi-focals limited my vision in my job, having to look close up, mid and far distance and soon switched back to vari-focals.

However I now have lenses implanted in my eyes (look up intra occular lenses on the web http://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/intraocular-lenses.html ) and don't have to wear glasses, it cost me around £2000 for the operation through Optical Express but the deal was 10 months interest free credit.  I have the Lentis M Plus lenses fitted.

The lenses are not perfect, but I can read, use a computer, see the instrument panel lettering in the car and read the garage where the car was bought from on the number plate of the car in front of me.  The drawbacks are 'Halos' around bright lights, especially at night, if you have ever worn contact lenses you will know what I mean, but I am getting used to these now so overall I am very pleased.

I have had the implanted lenses for about 2 years now, and each time I go for a 6 month check up ( all part of the initial £2k fee) I do the eyesight check by reading the letters on the chart and i have 20/20 vision.

The operation is the same one as performed on cataracts and so is one of the most carried out operations in the world and is about as safe as surgery can get.

As well as not having to wear glasses, the other benefit is that the lenses, and therefore my eyesight, will never deteriorate any further due to age and I will never have cataracts.

£2000 may be a lot of money, but it is probably the cost of new glasses over 10 years.

Kelju

This message was last edited by kelju on 24/10/2012.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2012 11:46 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have worn  bi-focals for about 3 years.

At first I had serious problem with the specs bought from SpecSavers. ( Horizonals were sloping, i.e table tops etc, the light sensitive lenses did not work in my car, and the prescription proved to be wrong --- I had a social security eye test a couple of weeks after getting the specs which was very different from the SpecSavers one ---)

Eventually SpecSavers agreed they had got it wrong and replaced the lenses. One pair now has permanent ‘sun glass’ lenses, which I wear most often.

Since then I have found the bio-focals work well.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2012 5:35 PM by jinxy Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hi Johnzx, bifocals used to have a definite divide line across the lens but now I believe they just have a small window - does this work ok and is it very noticable? I too have had 'bad' experiences at Specsavers both in the UK and over here. I've been told that Multioptica give a good deal. Been quoted horrendous prices elsewhere and being a Yorkshire lass I like a good deal.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2012 7:08 PM by sandrab Star rating in Bournemouth & La Ter.... 528 posts Send private message

sandrab´s avatar

I have got Varifocals - can't be doing wiht all the pfaffing about changing glasses.  I get a BOGOFF deal so I have sunnies as wells so I can read road signs when driving! and I don't  have to look down or up or change glasses when doing close work.  All in all I am v. happy.  Felt a bit sick for the first week until I got used to them but have been using them for about 5 or 6 years now and very pleased.  Cost for a reasonable set of frames (and different proper sun glass frames with 2 sets of lenses) about £280 each time I need a prescription.

Benefit to me - I can see all of the time - telly, books, driving and generally.

Hope this helps

Sandra

Luxury holidays in Murcia spain at 

www.rodagolfinspain.com 

Like 0      
26 Oct 2012 10:40 AM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Varifocals -The strength of the lens varies accross their surface. 

For - No horizontal line between near and far that makes you look old.

Against - distortion, difficulty to get used to them in the first place and high price.

You pays your money and makes your choice. I wear bifocals because I do woodwork and varifocals make it difficult to judge a straight line making the quality of the work suffer.

They can be made as strong as you like especially if you pay for high quality lenses. However your optician may council against having a greater difference between near and distance as this increases the distortion. But you are the customer you can have what you want.

Prescription - the measurement for the lenses needed to correct your vision.

It is definitely worth collecting your prescription. (And perhaps spending a little time learning to understand it). If you do, then you can order your spectacles on line and pay £40 rather than £150.

'Window' - Near portion on bifocals.

Most bi-focals are 'd types'. This means that the near portion is like a 'D' with the flat bit horizontal positioned in the frame just below your pupil.

Older glasses often had a circular near portion or the whole of the bottom of the lenses being a near portion (sometimes called O and E types). I wish I could get E types these days as I like the big near area for woodwork. The Ds come in different sizes and I would definitely go for a large one especially if you have large frames.

Deterioration with implanted lenses

Implanting lenses is exactly the same operation as the one performed in a modern cateract removal operation.

The old natural lens is emulsified and sucked out and a new plastic one is put in its place. Since this operation was invented (by an Englishman called, If my memory serves, Ridley) old people that have had to have their lenses removed because they had gone cloudy (cateract) no longer have to wear bottle glasses.

The operation does not prevent all the other eye problems of old age (how could it?) but it does remove the lenses that may have developed cateracts. One problem with implanted lenses is that they can sometimes get an increasingly opaque film on the back of them. This is usually removed by laser.

Voluntary Eye Surgery - of any type.

There are lots of companies advertising lasering of eyes to correct short sightedness. This has been a boon for many people but there is a significant minority who wish they had never had it done. The advertising is very posotive and never gives the negatives. Whatever elective surgery you are considering be sure to find out the cons as well as the pros before making a decision. It's your eyesight/body, be sure to spend more time reasearching the pro's and con's than you would if choosing a new car.

This message was last edited by tteedd on 26/10/2012.

This message was last edited by tteedd on 26/10/2012.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2012 9:37 AM by jinxy Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hi, tteedd, many thanks for such a detailed description of bifocals and this has made my mind up - bifocals for me. I will certainly take your advice re ordering on-line as I have been quoted horrendous prices. The only prob is can I get an eye test from the Optician without purchasing their specs? Regards and thanks again.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

November 14th General Strike - flight cancellations? - 17 posts
Electricity Charges - 0 posts
picture postcards - 0 posts
New to site. - 39 posts
Declaring cost of works to reduce tax liability - 0 posts
Spain - 8 Years Hence ?????? - 9 posts
Freesat changes - 2 posts
What grows in Spain? - 11 posts
Electricity meter - 8 posts
How to contact English Speaking Staff at Iberdrola - 1 posts
PARKING IN SEVILLE OVER CHRISTMAS - 2 posts
Laundry - 0 posts
flights - 2 posts
Television - 0 posts
Furniture pack - 0 posts
Cancelled SIP cards (Healthcare Access) - 0 posts
Uci bank - 8 posts
Empadron, non owner, living rent fee - 1 posts
Dickmanns Car hire... Alicante airport - 13 posts
Cash withdrawals in Santander Branch - 0 posts
Electricity Supplier takes over without contract!! - 8 posts
Driving Conditions to Santander in February - 4 posts
Should it be illegal to film or photograph police officers? - 24 posts
Cockroaches! Thank God they've gone! - 31 posts
Spain cracking down on prostitution! - 22 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x