Advice Please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Sep 2012 5:20 PM by Worcestergirl Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hello Forum Members. I have just returned from a visit to a friend who lives in a typical Spanish village and fell in love with the area, people, way of life etc, I am considering renting in the same village for 6 months to see if it is for me or not,I m 63 years of age and in receipt of a state pension, the advice I ask for is the following.

(1) do I need to register with a Doctor for my repeat prescription 'Zopiclone' sleeping pills or can I buy similar from the local chemist,

(2) I won't be a resident but will I still have to register with the local police etc.

(3) Rather than arriving with great wads of money is it easy to open a Spanish Bank account , to pay utilities etc.

I would have asked my friend these questions but she isn't on the internet to email and thought that someone on this forum could help.

I am sure there are other questions I need answering but don't want to bombard you with too many.

Regards

Elisbeth

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 6:32 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi There

You do not have to register with the Local Police if you stay less than 183 Days in Spain. Over this period you do have to get a Residencia Certificate at the Foreigners Dept at your Local Police Station in Spain.

Found this on a Spanish Forum for you.

"Stay and residence - Interior Ministry
Residence of more than three months the citizens of a member state of the European Union or another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area have the right of residence in Spanish territory for a period longer than three months if they are in any of these assumptions:
Are employees or self-employed in Spain, or
They have, for himself and his family members, sufficient resources not to become a burden on the social assistance in Spain during their period of residence and a sickness insurance covering all risks in Spain, or
Are enrolled in a private or public establishment, accredited or financed by the education authorities, with the main purpose to undertake study, and have comprehensive sickness insurance covering all risks in Spain and ensure that they have sufficient resources for themselves and family members not to become a burden on the social assistance of the Spanish during their period of residence, or
They are family members accompanying or going to meet with a citizen of a member state of the European Union or another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area that meets the conditions specified in any of the above cases."

I do not think you can register on Spanish National Health but you must bring your EHIC Card with you.Google EHIC Card on the Internet to apply.You would have to Register with "Helicopters Sanitarius" Marbella  or something similar to get a Doctors Prescription. This Company also has there own website.

I think you can open a Temporary  Non Resident Bank Account  in Spain.There should be some Banks in a Town where you are going to stay.

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 6:37 PM by Worcestergirl Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thankyou Nigel, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Elisbeth

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 7:07 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi Elisbeth

Sorry , I apologise. I made a mistake in my original post. The 183 Days is for English Motor Vehicles  Registration Plates to be changed to Spanish ones. One has to Register with the National Police after 90 Days.

See Forum Post below which is still current in 2012.

Subject : New legislation for NON RESIDENTS since May 2008 ??

Dear Claire &/or Thomas, whoever picks this email up. We bank as non residents with you in Guardamar.

I follow the massive forum Eye On Spain http://www.eyeonspain.com/ this is just being discussed. Here's the link.

"We have just received an e-mail from our bank advising that a new law was passed in Spain in May requiring non residents to submit a certificate proving their status (obtainable from the police) without this bank accounts will be frozen. We had no warning about this and they have now frozen our account has anyone else heard about this ?"

After some said no, they hadn't heard, including myself who banks with you, someone posted this

"Hi everyone, yes it is absolutely correct, I have received a letter from my bank (Caja Murcia) and been in to see them to clarify, I have also confirmed that all banks in Spain will be advising all their customers of the following:-

If you have a non resident account, you have 60 days to take a form to the police to register as a non-resident, this form once stamped by the police must be returned to the bank. Beware, if you are on the padron or are going to be in Spain for more than 3 months, you are breaking the law if you don't have a Residencia Certificate. The police now have a computer system linked to the padron information NIE/Residencia information and it is indeed the police that have the power to immediately freeze your bank account. If you do not declare yourself as a non-resident. It is no longer the bank's bi-yearly responsibility. Your account will be frozen, exactly as it would be frozen by the police should you die in Spain.

Don't think that because you have been over here for 20 years it does not apply to you, because it does.

Remember, if you are registered on the padron and you get queried by the police and you cannot prove that you have been in Spain for less than 3 months, you may well get locked up, as well as your bank account being frozen.

So, if you are non-resident but over in Spain for more than 3 months, get a Residencia Certificate and change your bank account changed to "resident"."

Please advise us, we are very concerned about this. There's nothing on your website & we've heard nothing from you either.

Regards

Good morning,

I can assure you that the non residents accounts won't be frozen.
The non residents just have to fill in a form every two years to show their address in the UK.

I hope this will help.

Kind regards,

Thomas Robyns
Banking Advisor
Banco Halifax Hispania S.A.
Avda. Era de la Madaleneta, s/n
CP 03140 Guardamar del Segura
Tlf.   0034 902 400 770                     Distance Banking (00 34) 902 310 100
Fax. 0034 966 726 770

Regards 

Nigel

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 7:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry Nigel
                              you have made a couple of errors.

Residencia has not existed since 2007,   for EU citizens.

If a person stays three months PERMANENTLY in Spain they must register on the EU Citizens Register.

Not at the local police but with the National Police Police.

Once they register, they become Tax Resident in Spain.

They can avoid this if they leave Spain before the 3 months are up and then return, however, if they stay for a total of 183 (in a year) they must then register, and then they become Tax Resident, either on registration or automatically.

If then register they cannot use the European Heath Card as that is for Visitors only.

If they do not become Tax Resident they can open a Non Resident’s bank account, if registered a then a normal account.

On a European Health Card they can get a prescription,  although they cannot register, they are visitors. 

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 7:55 PM by Worcestergirl Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone for the on-going advice, however confusion has now set in.So If I stay for over 3 months I have to register with EU Citizens Register how is that done ? also if I cannot use the European Health Card how do you get recipricol healthcare in Spain, as I am in receipt of  Uk state pension, I am under the impression that health care is free for British Pensioners. please correct me if I am wrong.

regards Elisbeth

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 8:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi,

Unless you intend to stay for longer than 183 days I would suggest you leave before 3 months, even a day trip say to Gib or Portugal would be OK.  But get passport stamped, or use a credit cards so if required you can show you left.

If you do intend to stay permanently, you can contact the DWP Newcastle and they should be able to supply you with proof that you are entitled to health cover here, (It used to be a E121 but it has changed)

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 8:29 PM by Worcestergirl Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks Johnnzx.

I didn't think it would have been so difficult to try my arm at living in Spain for 6 months,also if  I rent somewhere for 6 months this being the usual period for  long term rental rates then I may have to have some sort of residency  permit for the utilitiy bills etc.

Also does anyone know if becoming a resident of Spain you then forfeit the NHS treatment in the UK if one day you might decide to return

Regards

elisbeth

This message was last edited by Worcestergirl on 30/09/2012.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 11:22 PM by Worcestergirl Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Having read British Embassy web site, it appears to be that you can only spend 3 months in spain before you have to register for residency or the equivalent, otherwise you are breaking the law and proof will be required to show that you haven't spend longer than the 3 months, the site is very informative and I recommend anyone with any queries takes a look, thanks to everyone for their help.

Regards  Elisbeth

Like 0      
01 Oct 2012 8:16 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi Elisbeth

I have found this Link for you which is extemely helpful in your case.

http://costadelsol.angloinfo.com/classifieds/viewfeatured/58317/free-guide-to-living-in-spain

Also you can go to this Link for extra information.

http://costadelsol.angloinfo.com/

If Links do not work just copy them into your Interner Browser.

Good Luck and hope your temporary move to Spain is successful.

Regards

This message was last edited by nigel188 on 01/10/2012.

Nigel

Like 0      
01 Oct 2012 9:08 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Having read British Embassy web site, it appears to be that you can only spend 3 months in spain before you have to register

That was what I said, but note that is staying permanently, thus if you leave and come back you start again.   So you can stay up to 182 days total in a year without registering.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for opinions from young, professional couples in Spain - 1 posts
¿up the proverbial? - 0 posts
Living on 1000.euros - 125 posts
Line Dancing - Costa Tropical Area - 1 posts
Friend's grandmother clips son around ear-hole: a sign of true integration? - 9 posts
Long Term Car Hire - 5 posts
Hi, I'm new here and would like some suggestions. - 19 posts
Storms in Southern Spain - 8 posts
Geoff - 3 posts
geoff - 0 posts
The flash floods - 0 posts
Community Fees by Direct Debit - 2 posts
property ¬banks - 0 posts
Price comparison and service in Spain - 7 posts
Flash Floods in Southern Spain - 4 posts
Spanish Bank Pursuing UK and Irish Assets - 3 posts
Masmovil network - 3 posts
Why go back to the Uk? Is Spain not cheap enough? - 216 posts
U.K. Driving licence. - 36 posts
When the family come to visit - they won't all fit in the car. - 1 posts
Ryanair Flights - 2 posts
Spanish TV in the community - 1 posts
BRITISH DRIVING LICENCE AND RESIDENCE - 0 posts
Exporting ypur Spanish car to the U.K. - 0 posts
Temoporary Structures, What are the rules? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x