EOS HELP

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by charlie11 Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Hi guys,

SOOOOO much conflicting information about NIE and Residencia.  Is there a legal beagle in the EOS who can answer the following questions in relation to 2011.  We have had various conversations with ex pats who have been here for 10 years and on various sites including EOS which is conflicting. 

Q.1 How do I get an NIE number and how much does it cost?

Q.2 How long is it valid for?

Q.3 Is it correct that when you apply for an NIE number that you are automatically on a Residency List?

Q.4 Is a Residencia a totally differant form to a NIE and how much does it cost?

Q.5 To get Residencia do you need documentation from the UK other than your passport?

Q.6 What does an NIE number on its own entitle you to?

If you could please only reply to this if you have been through this process yourself within the last 12 months as everything seems to change every couple of years.  Or if you have definative knowledge of current legislation.

Thanks guys

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 12:21 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

QI NEAREST NATIONAL POLICE STATION IT WAS 10 EU 6 MONTHS AGO AND I DID MINE IN AN HOUR NEED PHOTO COPY OF ADDRESS DOCUMENT AND PASSPORT

Q2 LIFE

Q3 NO NEED TO REGISTER AT LOCAL TOWN HALL CALLED EMPADRIMINTO NOT RESIDENCIA

Q4 SAME AGAIN COST WHERE I LIVE 2.4EU

Q5 PASSPORT AND NIE CERT

Q6 ONLY TO GET ON PADRON WHICH WILL GET YOU A COUPLE OF DICOUNTSN ON THINGS NO BIG DEAL

SOME SAY CAN TAKE MONTHS I DID MINE IN AN HOUR INCLUDING QUEING

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 12:22 PM by franvidal Star rating in Lo Pagán. 19 posts Send private message

franvidal´s avatar

Hi Charlie 11,

Q.1 How do I get an NIE number and how much does it cost? You can obtain your NIE number in a Foreigner Office. Foreigner Offices can be separate buildings, or you can find them within a Police Station, as they depend on the Spanish Police. If you do it yourself, cost can vary between 9,18 euros to 16,00 euros.

Q.2 How long is it valid for? It lasts forever. At some point (say in 10 years for instance) the actual sheet might change. But your NIE number will be forever the same namber, it's like our Spanish DNI (Spanish Identity Card).

Q.3 Is it correct that when you apply for an NIE number that you are automatically on a Residency List? NO, only if you apply for Residencia then you are resident. NIE is only a fiscal number that you need to work in Spain, to buy a property, to buy a car... But you don't become a resident for having and NIE number and buying a property either. If you apply for NIE number, you only get NIE number; if you apply for Residencia, you get Residencia and NIE number at the same time, but also you have to pay taxes as Spanish Resident.

Q.4 Is a Residencia a totally differant form to a NIE and how much does it cost? Cost of Residencia is 10 euros, but again, the process is different, and not only because they are different documents, procedure is different in different Foreigner Offices, that's why you have heard some people saying that it takes only a few hours, others several weeks, for some it was a straightforward process and for others it was a nightmare, etc.

Q.5 To get Residencia do you need documentation from the UK other than your passport? It depends on the Foreigner Office where you apply for it.

Q.6 What does an NIE number on its own entitle you to? With an NIE number you can buy a property, buy a car, you can apply for a Spanish Social Security number and with both number then you can work... NIE number on its own is not a National Insurance Number.

Hope it helps,

Francisco

Sorry for my English, I use these forums to improve it

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 12:31 PM by charlie11 Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Thank you so much for the information Fransico,

Your what I would call, from where I come from in the UK, a diamond meaning you are top class.  Your English is a million times better than my Spanish.  Everybody speaks so fast.  Thanks again for the information.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 1:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just to add to the excellent info supplied by Francisco and others.:-

The 'Residencia' as such no longer exists unless one is from outside the EU, one now has to register on the foreigner's register of EU citizens, and will receive, for the 10.20 euros fee (it recently went op) a Certificado De Registro De Ciudadano De La Union.   It is a green piece of paper which clearly says on it that it is not proof of ID, thus, to be legal, in addition to that piece of paper,  one must carry a National ID card (which Brits don't have) or an original passport (or a copy certified by your country's consulate). Many people 'get away' with carrying other 'bits of paper' which they usually will have accepted by people who do not know better, store cash desks, garages etc, but they are not legal ID.

Don't expect the Police, Notaries, Banks etc to accept anything but legal ID, although people will be able to tell you of occasions when they did.  But this is Spain with 'variations' of interpretations of the law.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 1:50 PM by charlie11 Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Yet again another conflicting answer one says there is one says no longer exists.Hmmmmmm here we go again

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 2:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Charlie,
                 Lets not confuse people further.

If you read what I said, you will realise that in effect it makes little difference in that one, if an EU citizen,  must still register if they are physically present in Spain for 3 months permanently. The difference is that the Residencia Card was legal ID, the piece of paper is not.

If one is not an EU citizen,  they must still register as a resident and they will still get a Residencia Card which in thir case is Legal ID in Spain, but which expires after five years.

Incidentially, The form which one uses to register recenlty changed and has a different number.    It is similar but the old form will not (so the police say) be accepted now.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 2:12 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Its another one of those wierd things, As I understand it when you get your NIE the police now put you on the residents regiser.

I have never been asked for a certificado de residenia

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 2:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I did say that some people will tell me I got it wrong.

However, since 2nd April 2007 anyone appyling for first registration, or whose Residencia has expired, will have been given the Certifcate, the green paper I decsribed.

With the erxception of Non EU citizens,  as I also described.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

address - 3 posts
Classic Motorcycle Insurance - 4 posts
La Rosa, Near La Cala de Mijas - 1 posts
Re: cheese - 7 posts
Hi, I've just joined - 4 posts
Has anyone any information on this new EU Scheme ?????? - 23 posts
doctors - 1 posts
ciudad quesada / dona pepa or paya flamenca to rent long term - please advice! - 0 posts
Frozen bread - 27 posts
British old age pensioners living in Spain - 17 posts
Clothing Business For Sale - 0 posts
Tae Kwon Do & Piano Lessons - Murcia region - 0 posts
Los Alcazares - schooling - 1 posts
Jet2 Glasgow to Murcia 2012 - 2 posts
Is It The Corrupt System or Misguided Naive Buyers ?? - 24 posts
Food Price Comparison Site For Spain? - 4 posts
shoes for driving in spain?? - 21 posts
LFO's - 0 posts
Telephone and Internet Charges. - 1 posts
British old age pensions - 11 posts
Wrong numbers - 1 posts
Motorway - 0 posts
Local Politics - Getting Involved - 2 posts
Eating out recommendations in Arroyo de la Miel - 1 posts
chipmunk in Nuevo Paraje Moriana - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x