Re: cheese

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by delaine Star rating in Croydon/ C D A. 23 posts Send private message

We are coming over shortly and I was wondering ...are we allowed to bring hard cheese in our hand luggage .?

Love spanish food but  have  not found a mature cheese that i like .

Delaine

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 4:47 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Of course you can bring cheese in your hand luggage

I have not found a decent spanish cheese but you can find english cheese in the supers at a good price.

So if anyone has found a decent spanish cheese please let us know

This message was last edited by janie2003 on 13/08/2011.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 4:53 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Delaine/Janie:

I find the Manchego "curado" excellent.  The semi-curado is good too.   There are also some hard cheeses from the Asturias region.

Delaine:

I think it would be best to get the cheese vacuum-packed and put in your suitcase.  In any case it is probably colder in the hold of the plane than elsewhere.   I know that I have brought Stilton to Spain that way. 

Patricia

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 5:52 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Hi Patricia i have been recomended manchego cheese but oddly have never seen it here, yet i just googled and found Sainsbury sell it in the UK!!

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 7:49 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes have to agree put the cheese in your suitcase it will stay colder.  I remember years ago when I used to take cheese and bacon I used to freeze it before we went. I do not know if you are supposed to or not but it worked at the time.

We go to super value and they do seem to be getting more of a range of cheeses.

A neighbour I know she fills her suitcase up with different things when she goes back to the UK.  Not many clothes and shoes, just food she makes me laugh.

Patricia

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 8:49 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

What "hard" cheese are you trying to find?  Most supermarkets now stock loads of brands of Cheddar (Pilgrims Choice, Eden Vale, Kerrygold and others) as cheap, if not cheaper, than UK.  If  you are talking about the Red Leicesters and Double Gloucesters etc then you will be hard pushed to find them but they do have speciality shops (many to be found on the markets) which are comparable to UK.  Our local supermarket stocks Double Gloucester plus others like Halloumi (mmmm).  Virtually all the places stock hard cheeses like Edam, Gouda etc.  If you're talking about the really hard cheeses (Parmesan, Grano Pedano etc) then these are also easy to find.

My wife actually likes the non-cured Spanish cheeses as they are very creamy although I do find those a bit tasteless although the Gran Capitan semi-cured is very nice.  

And, although it seems a bad word on here, Iceland stock all the UK type cheeses as well.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 9:04 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Yes, Patricia.  I do take back Spanish specialities in my suitcase to friends who put in requests.  Chorizo (particularly the serranitos), Manchego cheese, and the jamón de jabugo.  At Christmas I used to take back marzipan.

Patricia (campana)

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 9:07 AM by delaine Star rating in Croydon/ C D A. 23 posts Send private message

Thanks to you all for replying ,Last year I took 4 tins of John West salmon and they were taken from us as they said about the juice (liguid ).

I like seriously strong cheese  that we get in U K . Thanks for all the tips and ideas.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi, I've just joined - 4 posts
Has anyone any information on this new EU Scheme ?????? - 23 posts
doctors - 1 posts
ciudad quesada / dona pepa or paya flamenca to rent long term - please advice! - 0 posts
Frozen bread - 27 posts
British old age pensioners living in Spain - 17 posts
Clothing Business For Sale - 0 posts
Tae Kwon Do & Piano Lessons - Murcia region - 0 posts
Los Alcazares - schooling - 1 posts
Jet2 Glasgow to Murcia 2012 - 2 posts
Is It The Corrupt System or Misguided Naive Buyers ?? - 24 posts
Food Price Comparison Site For Spain? - 4 posts
shoes for driving in spain?? - 21 posts
LFO's - 0 posts
Telephone and Internet Charges. - 1 posts
British old age pensions - 11 posts
Wrong numbers - 1 posts
Motorway - 0 posts
Local Politics - Getting Involved - 2 posts
Eating out recommendations in Arroyo de la Miel - 1 posts
chipmunk in Nuevo Paraje Moriana - 0 posts
WANTED: long term rental wanted in quesada/torrevieja area from september 2011 - 2 posts
All Spanish Should Learn To Speak Fluent English - 23 posts
ITV Homes From Hell - 9 August 2011 - 33 posts
schools in rojales or quesada for 5 years old - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x