British v Irish Consulates

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 May 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Due credit should be given to the Alicante-based British consulate. The consul and his staff are rarely out of the newspapers. They are obviously very active on behalf of British residents and visitors to the region. I wish the same could be said of the Irish consulate.

It is run from an office situated inside an office on an industrial estate; that office is part of a fruit importers. Trying to get them to do anything is a lesson in futility so if you’re British I hope your superior performing consulate gives some comfort. Don’t even think of arranging a swap. Our Irish office should be renamed The Consulate of the Republic of Lethargy.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
23 May 2011 12:34 AM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

This is the Irish Embassy in Madrid  site

http://www.irlanda.es/home/index.aspx?id=33981

I am sure they would want to hear about the lamentable state of affairs in Alicante.

Patricia

Like 0      
23 May 2011 1:58 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Thanks, Patricia. I did put the Madrid embassy in the picture. Credit to them, they were on the case immediately. As it so happens the passport arrived in Madrid today and is being sent by registered post to Alicante consul. Hopefully to be picked up on or before Friday. I fly out on the Sunday. 

I also complained to the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Dublin. All this worry and trouble could so easily have been avoided by a brief 10c telephone call. "We will let you know as soon as it arrives. If it fails to do so we will of course forward it to the consultate or embassy at your country and city of choice."

Like is that such a big deal? I am sorry but if I were back in business and had a job application; if it was clear the applicant's working history was in public service, I wouldn't consider them for a moment. They would not survive a day in a commercially driven environment. The problem is the Alicante consulate staff. Talk about inertia!

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
23 May 2011 2:24 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Hello Mike:

I think the problem may well be that  the consul in Alicante is only an Honorary Consul.  Not too sure what the extent of his duties and powers might be. .

Found this:

"Unlike career consuls, honorary consuls are not directly compensated by the sending country and are not considered civil servants. Instead, they operate on a ceremonial level while also working to improve commercial, cultural and scientific relations between nations. In most cases, honorary consuls are already expatriates to a certain country or have established long-term residency there. Honorary consul usage has risen in recent years as they perform many of the same functions as career consuls but are much less costly to the sending country."

Like 0      
23 May 2011 2:49 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

At least your passport renewal only cost 80 Euros...

Had it been a UK one the cost would have been 160 Euros + carriage....

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
23 May 2011 3:13 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Thanks, both. In fact (blush) my renewed passport didn't cost me a penny. At the time of ordering in March there was no charge for those who were retired. I understand that since April 11 the cost is in accordance with that of any other Irish citizen. I just squeaked through there. Phew. I hate subsidising banks and their shareholders.

Like 0      
23 May 2011 3:29 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

High time the Brit government did something along those lines too, although as you rightly said the Irish Government have now stopped free renewals for pensioners. Probably in an attempt to help towards paying back the bail-out....

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Online Translations - 73 posts
British GP Doctor - 1 posts
Am I on this planet? - 1 posts
Report on the Welfare State in Spain - 3 posts
fan about to be hit - 0 posts
does anyone ever get a reply from do you spain? - 14 posts
NEW BUS SERVICE FROM ALICANTE TO TORREVIEJA - 10 posts
administrators and community accounts - 1 posts
New Alicante airport - 2 posts
advice needed - 4 posts
bus sevice - 0 posts
Talking of Internet Connections - 1 posts
Most Popular Radio Station? - 0 posts
Want an old non functioning small satellite dish CDS - 1 posts
Andalucia, dangerous dogs. - 2 posts
Conjugation practice - 2 posts
Link - 1 posts
How to put a photo on a blog?? Help!! - 4 posts
Anyone know of a good car painter in or around Fuengirola - 4 posts
Anyone returning to the uk from costa del sol - 2 posts
Gas appliances and flues? - 1 posts
car swap - 4 posts
living and working in spain - 15 posts
Damage From Earthquake - 5 posts
working from home - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x