QUESTION RE SPANISH HEALTH SYSTEM

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 May 2011 12:00 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

can anyone tell me why is it that when I go to my health centre

to see a doctor that there are always a lot of rumanians, morrocons ect

using their S.I.P. cards to see a doctor when they are only in their 20s and 30s.

yet a british national living here have to be either pension age or working and

paying into the social security system to qualify for a S.I.P. card, or pay approx

270 euros every 3 months to be on the health system. Is there different rules in

the european countries to qualify for S.I.P. cards.????

I am sure all the other nationalities will not have the funds to pay for there health cover.

coolyes

Like 0      
01 May 2011 2:28 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

They may work in Spain, be asylum seekers (or families thereof) or "displaced" persons in which case they will either be paying into the system or have their payments made for them.  The rules are the same for everyone in Europe.  When you become resident, you have exactly the same access to the health service as the Spanish do.  

The difference in UK is that they treat anyone who is "domiciled" there regardless of whether they have paid into the system or not which is exactly the same for British people in UK.  You can go to any country in the EU and, if you become resident, have exactly the same rights as a national.  However, most countries insist you pay into the system first (in Germany everyone has to have insurance for example) and Spain is no different.  Asylum seekers (those applying for it and those granted it) are given free treatment in any EU country.  Those working and paying into the system in Spain will also receive free treatment for themselves and for their families (regardless if only one person is working).  I'm sure these "rumanians, morrocons ect" are on the system one way or the other.

Interestingly, though, the Alicante region health authorities reckon some 20% of people they treat for "emergencies" are British who, falsely, use the EHIC to gain treatment even though they live in Spain.  They are, therefore, accessing treatment to which they are not entitled as they have not paid into the Spanish system.

Like 0      
01 May 2011 4:14 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi Bobaol,

thanks for your reply.

yes I agree with you about people who live here permanently

who use there EHIC card for treatment but never register for

residency.

lets hope they crack down on these people who are fleecing the system.

I have been told of people who live here permanently but anytime they

need treatment hop on a plane back to england and get hospital treatment.

makes me angry when the likes  of you and I do everything by the book but others

just flout the law.

coolyes

Like 0      
04 May 2011 3:36 PM by tfr Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

There many ways in which people can qualify for health care in Spain without contributing the Social Security system. Here are three examples;

1. Anyone with a monthly income of less than approx 650 euros qualifies (under sin recursos).

2. In Valencia (and in several other regions) a single a contribution to the SS ( for example, working in agriculure for a month), entitles the person o idenfinite health care.

3. Valencia´s Tarjeta Solidaria. One of the regional iniatives that automatically issues health cards to immigrants from non-EU countries.

So it´s not that difficult to get access to the health care system once you start to understand a bit of more about the system works. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

cd player for car needed. murcia/mazarron area. - 0 posts
It isn't just the British - 2 posts
UK couple living near Estepona Looking for friends - 0 posts
Reach the World - 0 posts
Long term rental wanted , Villa country house East of Estapona - 0 posts
Looking to rent house - 0 posts
Petition: An Open Letter to David Lidington, Minister for Europe - 66 posts
Royal Wedding Congratulations - 11 posts
Pussy Natural Energy Drink - 2 posts
Lift from alicante airport to Quesada on sat june 4th - 3 posts
Traditional sign writer required for some hand painted signwork. - 2 posts
Address - 2 posts
Thule Roof Bars with Locks - 0 posts
Thule Evolution 700 Roof Box - 0 posts
Changing UK Licence for Spanish Licence - Problems - 1 posts
uk or spanish tax - 42 posts
moving to formetera del sugera - 1 posts
Malaga Airport : Monarch fast bag drop off - 0 posts
SUMA - 0 posts
El Torre Pacheco. - 9 posts
Indie IPR Guitar **Reduced* - 0 posts
wanted: los alcazeres(murcia) small apt for 2-first two weeks in sept - 1 posts
Scandal of the Unqualified Doctors! - 17 posts
Gymnastics on the costa? - 0 posts
CRIME IN AGUA NUEVA - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x