Useless Gadgets

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

As we are clearing out the cupboards ready for our impending move, we keep coming across gadgets that were either given to us or we purchased as we thought they would be useful.  It's amazing how much junk we have accumulated and got stuck into the back of one drawer or the other.  We are now packing them up and either giving them to our daughters, taking them to the charity shop or just binning them.

For example:  A garlic peeler.  Not a garlic crusher (which I can find some use for) but a gadget for peeling garlic.  TBH you can peel the garlic quicker than it takes to search for this thing in the back of the drawer.  Can't remember if we bought  it (can't imagine why) or acquired it along the way.

A teabag strainer.  Why?  God only knows.  A quick squish with the teaspoon does the job just as quickly.

A yogurt maker.  Now, I'm told this was a wedding present (41 years and counting).  Why would you need a plastic machine that makes milk go off when the supermarket sells them for 10p each? (Probably 1d each when we were given this).

A pineapple corer.  OK, we did use this a couple of times (many years ago, I must admit).  You stick it on the top of the pinapple and it both peels the pineapple and removes the core at the same time.  ISTR the pineapples were either too small (thus wasting half of the fruit) or too big and the prickly pointy bits were still left over.

A multi-slicer.  One of those plastic things you see advertised on the shopping channel.  It's supposed to slice all sorts of veg and cheese etc.  Unfortunately, after a couple of washes, the plastic started coming off in the food you grated so you ended up with sliced carrots and plastic or cheddar and plastic.  It also used to get clogged up so you had to spend most of your time cleaning it.

A bread maker.  OK, I admit these could be useful.  Trouble is, it was rather hit and miss on whether it came out soggy, hard or just right.  I think it depended on the amount of liquid you put in it.  I think we ended up using it to mix the dough and then sticking that in the oven. 

A soda stream.  Yep, remember them?  You stick water in, add a rather dangerous cylinder of CO2 and add the flavour of your choice.  The flavours cost about as much as a decent can of coke and the CO2 cylinders kept changing and not fitting properly.  I think the fizz lasted about 10 minutes!  This has been in the back of a cupboard (dusty, unused and unloved) for about 20 odd years.

A fondu set.  A fondu set?  Again, I'm told another wedding present.  Apparently you melt cheese in it and then dip bits of bread into on the end of a fork it thus scalding the inside of your mouth and bringing your tongue up in blisters.  Can't ever remember using this thing.

A teasmaid.  No, not the branded one (which may have been quite good) but a cheapo knockoff.  Fill it with water the night before and set the alarm.  It's supposed to wake you up with a fresh cup of tea.  The only few times we tried it, it bubbled over thus causing staining to the wooden bedside tables, gave a tepid wishy-washy cup of tea which hadn't brewed correctly and, anyway, I can never drink a cup of tea in bed.  Might as well get up and make a fresh one.

A set of fluff removers. These are stick, plastic things on a roller that you're supposed to rub over your clothes to brush them off.  Once you have used them, they become useless because all the stuff you rolled off becomes stuck to the sticky stuff.  A clothes brush did a far better job.

Apart from the above, which I admit are nearly all kitchen gadgets (I haven't even mentioned the electric jar opener, the electric can opener that will only open baked bean tins which now come with a ring pull or the myriad of special "mops" which promise much and deliver little) there are the scented candles, the bags of pot pourri, the extra long shoe horns and wardrobe "tidies" that just keep your junk in one convenient place.

Anyone else got junk in the cupboard gathering more dust than the Labour election manifesto?

Like 0      
10 Jul 2010 7:23 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Brilliant bobaol!! 

Loved your post!!

Reminded me of my own Soda Stream............................worked well until the kids put MILK in the bottle to try and make milk shakes!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
10 Jul 2010 7:46 PM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

After a long day of running around the supermarkets in preparation for the bbq I organised a month ago, not realising at the time it was the final of the World Cup, and looking forward to entertaining 16 adults and 19 children (!!), it was lovely to put my feet up with a cup of coffee and read your post Bobaol!!

Highly entertaining and oh so true, and if anybody is looking for a Remington Popcorn maker, circa '83, unused please let me know

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Positive Breath Test - 5 posts
European Advisory Service - 32 posts
Alternatives to using 901 and 902 telephone numbers? - 2 posts
Help needed - hearing aid - 3 posts
Need Some honest advice - 3 posts
HPA Loop hole? - 0 posts
Christmas Lunch in Playa Flamenca - Cabo Roig - La Zenia - 0 posts
ENDESA - How do I change to a lower potencia? - 20 posts
Car park attendants - 15 posts
Estate agent in rellue - 0 posts
Looking to rent in the village of Sucina - 0 posts
What is happening to thread titles?? - 6 posts
Reliable Administrators in Duquesa/Sotogrande Area - 1 posts
Christmas in Playa Flamenca - 5 posts
Help please re urbanisation rule liability - 8 posts
Live and work in Spain for free, and gain experience for your CV! - 0 posts
ADANA Upcoming Event Sunday 18 July 2010 - 0 posts
reforma ley de trafico - 3 posts
Bad experience with long term rental - 21 posts
Very Fresh - 2 posts
FS - Freesat HD box - boxed like new - 3 posts
a hi and advice needed - 13 posts
Herrado del Tollo - 1 posts
Rio Seco walk - Pinar de Camopoverde - 2 posts
Watching the Grand Prix on Sunday at Duquesa or Sebanillas - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x