Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2010 12:00 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi, question please.

Is there any way I can legally drive a Spanish registered car currently in the UK to Spain without a current ITV?.

I would guess the answer is no, this would be a shame because I have the opportunity to aquire a very nice 5 year old Opel on spanish plates at a bargain price. I suppose the car could be transported quite cheaply but I really wanted to drive it, any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

Like 0      
14 Jan 2010 1:22 PM by solwayiceman Star rating in Scotland. 50 posts Send private message

Hi there you are right    NO   as its illegal to drive any car without ITV/ MOT and as is Spanish reg needs Spanish ITV  cant do anything else but take all wheels off the ground as if two wheels on ground is illegal. sorry

Like 0      
14 Jan 2010 4:09 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

....transported quite cheaply...

You might well find that the costs of  transporting plus registering the change of ownership plus taxes (given that you haven't owned the vehicle for 6 months) might well take the edge of an otherwise good deal)...as it stands the car is illegal throughout Europe, just as most of the UK reg vehicles in Spain are for exactly the same reason.

Moreover if the car hs been in the UK for more than 183 days it is totally illegal in the UK and subject to any action that the UK Police care to invoke under DVLA, VOSA or Customs and Excise rules re the importation of vehicles.

Worst case, the vehicle could be confiscated and destroyed...

This is probably the reason its such a bargain!

Best advice? Leave well alone; probably not worth the aggro or expense.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
14 Jan 2010 4:46 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

You can get transport by articulatd truck for about 500 +vat  within a 75 mlie radius of Portsmouth and +1,11pound for each mile ouside that. I can't find the details of the firm at the mo. but I'll post them when I do. The 6 month ownership does not apply as the vehicle is Spanish and will only be subject to the same transfer costs as if you bought it of him here in Spain. If you do decide to buy make sure that you have a receipt showing the buyers and sellers full names and addresses here in Spain ( the old address if he doesn't live here anymore, because that is were the car is registered ), Full details of the vehicle inc. reg. no. & chassis no. and the price paid & both of you to sign this receipt. Make sure that you also get the reg. doc. and the permiso de circulación and if he's got it the receipt for the current road tax.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2010 5:07 PM by Jimbothescot Star rating in Urcal,Huercal Overa,.... 41 posts Send private message

For a reliable car transporter,contact Bill at www.cartranspain.com

Jimbo

Like 0      
14 Jan 2010 7:48 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

That's who I was referring to, jim's posted it.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2010 9:42 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

Thanks for your responses thus far.

Foxbat

Yep you are probably right, best leave well alone, but the car is so nice, Astra twin top only done 35km, bought over by a Spanish man who is now staying in the uk with his son and english daughter inlaw. Car ITV only ran out 2 months ago, I guess that if it had a current ITV it would be no problem driving it back down.

Gus,Jim & Sol

Thanks for your helpfull comments, points noted.

How about this, I think I'm right in saying that in the UK if you have a appointment made for a MOT you can legally drive to it, I wonder...........?

S

Like 0      
14 Jan 2010 11:30 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I don't know about that ,it used to be the case. If you went down that route and you were stopped and produced an UK mot they would immediately know that the vehicle was not 'legal in it's own country' and you could have it seized. Better to have nothing than that.

Just a thought ,here where I live the itv station has a notice that the itv has no legal standing for UK or German vehicles but is legal for French ones. It might be that a French mot would be legal for Spanish vehicles but you would have to investigate that.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2010 1:50 PM by doconline Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Depending how much of a bargain it is, but you could maybe register it in the UK, get it MOT'd, taxed etc, then bring it over to Spain and reregister.

Again depends on how much of a bargain it is, and you would need to check with DVLA to see what documentation they need for the import, I would imagin the equivalent of a V5?

Like 0      
15 Jan 2010 2:02 PM by malcolmandlinda Star rating in playa golf 1. 45 posts Send private message

hi if you had a itv test booked in spain you would have to drive the car legally to get the test done it does not state how far you are allowed  to travel?????? 

Like 0      
15 Jan 2010 3:27 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Malcolm

Yes thats what I was eluding to below, however driving 1600km to have your car tested is probably pushing it a bit don't you think, after saying that I do know that  I could travel with e-mail confirmation of an appointment being made.

Probably best to put it on a transporter at 500e.

S

Like 0      
15 Jan 2010 4:38 PM by Jimbothescot Star rating in Urcal,Huercal Overa,.... 41 posts Send private message

In the UK provided that a test is booked,then you can arrive at a UK ferryporrt,but you must drive straight to the testing station or garage which is doing the test.It happened to me once with the lorry and the MOT expired 2 days before I got back to the UK.My garage that does my safety checks booked the test with the VOSA test station and provided that I went straight to the garage then I was legal.

However Team GB if it`s a nice car and at a good price,then the cost of sticking it on a transporter will still make it a good deal.

Jimbo

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Justin Still can't view web cam - 8 posts
mobil phones - 0 posts
Real Domestic Appliances- gone bust - 0 posts
Illegal developments - next steps - 1 posts
is there a way to delete a blog - 2 posts
Setting up a freelance business - 0 posts
high electricity bills - 8 posts
Anyone got experience of getting residencia in Malaga? - 1 posts
silencio administrativo / administrative silence/ Obra Mayor - 2 posts
AGM - running the meeting - 2 posts
Where can I buy Yeast Free Bread from? - 6 posts
Anyone here in El Rincon? - 1 posts
RAFFLES - 8 posts
Outsider as President? - 7 posts
Short Movie needs help - 1 posts
Morrisons in Gibraltar looking for staff - 8 posts
Motorbiking in Andalucia - 1 posts
Aldea - 1 posts
Removals & Transport Murcia Region. - 0 posts
New business in Estepona - 8 posts
Franchise Sales - Advice please - 0 posts
SKY card : viewing soon to stop! - 1 posts
Paguera far from santa ponsa?? - 1 posts
help me.... - 5 posts
It's -2 here in the UK - How are you getting on in Spain? - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x