Northern Irish cast adrift once again

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jul 2018 7:19 PM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

I sincerely hope the following information only refers to people resident in Northern Ireland

People from Northern Irenad may think having an Irish passprt will provide them with the same rights as EU citizens after Brexit well.............................they are wrong. Acvording to an article in the "Irish News" today. Quote "/you might have thought paragraph 52 of Decembers joint report. "The people of Northern Ireland who are Irish citizens will continue to enjoy rights................." Well its wrong. Quote "The Irish governemnt knew all this. If they didnt Anthony Colins QC warnedc hem............He was ignored"

IN other words your irish passprt gives you the same rights as someone in honoulu or timbukto holding an Irish passprt. You will be part of the Irish Disapora.

Irish News report "Northerners cast adrift once agsin" by Brian Feeney

I have contacted the Irish embassy to find out what their take on this situation is because I am from Northern Ireland have a business here in Spain and i want to know if I am going to be considered an EU citizen after Brexit.

This message was last edited by dbd on 11/07/2018.

This message was last edited by dbd on 11/07/2018.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 7:16 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In 2010 I discovered, although born in London, with  a mother born in N Ireland, I had always been irish too.

i applied for my Irish PP and then renewed my EU Registration in spain  to show my nationality as Irish

DBD. Are you saying i will not be treated as Irish if uk nationals loose their rights?

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/07/2018.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 10:46 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

If you hold an Irish passport then you are a citizen of that nation and therefore an EU citizen. It matters not what nationality you enter on forms or where you live. It's the passport that proves your bona fide and national identity. 

I fully expect Britain to crash out of the EU without a deal. A hard border will then exist in Ireland betwixt the six counties and Ireland once again with all the political implications that involves. 

Brexit is it worth it?

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 10:57 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Anyone know how the Brits, for instance, travelled to say Spain, before all this 'Must have Irish an passport business started', seems like some bright spark put out this Irish Passport thing knowing that over 750.000 Brits would buy an Irish Passport at 80€ plus.....And they fell for it.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 11:52 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I first went on holiday to Spain 40 year's back ....you just showed your British passport and that was it ...you also had to have medical insurance that would also fly you home in a medical emergency ...I have never understood this Irish passport thing ..anyone that goes on holiday and just relies on the EHIC card is crazy ...this card will get you medical assistance only in the EU ..if you require flying home in a medics private jet ( happens all the time) only private insurance will cover this ..unless you happen to have your own..also what difference is having a so called EU / Irish passport going to make ..do these people that bought them really think they are going to get treated with any more respect than they are getting at the moment in the EU.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 12/07/2018.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 12:07 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

If you are a UK resident and visit Spain on holiday then Brexit should make little difference to you apart from probably having to pay a tax to enter the EU each time.

However there are other people who have different lifestyles, myself included.  We travel, live and work all over Europe and spend various amounts of time in EU states. I am a UK national based in Spain now but also live in France part of the year and also visit Italy for some weeks of the year where I have family. I need the EU reciprocal healthcare agreements via the EHIC and freedom of movement to continue to enjoy my lifestyle.

I know many other people with similar needs. We rarely visit the UK and consider ourselves citizens of the state of Europe. After Brexit we will become aliens once more unless I take French or Spanish nationality.

I have accepted my fate and made contingency plans which involve considerable cost but that’s life.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 12:41 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Mickyfinn  if you are relying on the UK EHIC card then I take it you hold British citizenship ...and are paying tax as a resident of the UK..other wise you cannot have a British EHIC card...you should have the appropriate card from your Chosen EU country that you are residing in and pay Tax in...even if you do have the appropriate card all this will get you is medical assistance within the EU ..No EU country will pay for one of their residents to be transported back by private jet...you need private health cover for the life style you are living ..otherwise you might have to put you house up for sale to get you home ...if you have a bad accident.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 1:08 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Windy - You are partly right and partly wrong. EHIC cards are issued by your country of citizenship not the country of residence. It has nothing to do with where you are tax domiciled.

An EHIC entitles you to the same emergency healthcare benefits any citizen of that particular country receives. What that means in practice is treatment based on clinical needs whatever that may be at the time by that states healthcare professionals.

Being transported back to your place of residence is of course not included and if that's a concern for other people they would be advised to insure against it. However for myself that is not an issue.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 1:38 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Micky let's forget the words EHIC for a moment.... Your EU health card is issued to you from your EU country of residents if you are British and you do not reside in the UK ..with no UK address how on earth are you going to get a British EHIC medical card....the EHIC is only for emergency treatment in the EU by British  resident's no matter what part of the EU they originally came from as long as they reside in the UK....so basically if you are a Brit that is residing in and paying tax in another EU Country..when you travel to France for instance you should produce the medical card from your country of residence ...as you are no longer classed as a citizen of the UK ..you are a citizen of the EU country you reside in.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 2:00 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Windy that used to be the situation but it was changed a couple of years ago.

The card can be applied for online and sent to any address you supply. 

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 2:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Micky.  Quote.   If you hold an Irish passport then you are a citizen of that nation and therefore an EU citizen. It matters not what nationality you enter on forms or where you live. It's the passport that proves your bona fide and national identity. 

I have a U.K. passport and an Irish passport

i live in spain.  I am qualified with DWP so have an OAP and an EHIC card issued by DWP. The DWP,  as for others qualified for ´free health care.’  pay £4,172.50 per annum for my medical cover.

After  the opening post for this thread, I asked how his post would affect me  

The thread drifted somewhat 

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 2:18 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Two different types. Working in Spain with a contract and paying into social security then you get the TSE (Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea) which is the EHIC and is valid anywhere outside Spain.

Resident in Spain and having an S1 (retired, registered disabled, under 18 or pregnant) then you get an EHIC issued in UK which is valid outside Spain. I've just renewed our EHIC and they were done by the team at Newcastle and we are now permanent tax residents in Spain.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 3:12 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

John - in your case you have dual citizenship. Lucky you. After Brexit. That will still be the case. So you will still hold European citizenship status and enjoy free movement and residency rights within the Schengen zone.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 12/07/2018.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 3:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Micky. Thanks that is how I see it but DBD’s post seemed to say that will not be so and that was what i was questioning 

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 3:25 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Anyone checked the Irish News, to look at this article?

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 3:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Baz.   I did try searching re the newspaper article before I posted but I did not find the article 

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 4:09 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Neither did I, went all over it, back and forth, back a couple of years also, nothing, even searched the supposedly writers name, still nothing.

Probably like the other bit of news which said if you dont have a passport of the country you have decided to live in, after  we leave you will be thrown out.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2018 5:23 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Fake News?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ychristmas - 0 posts
New Tourism regulations for Holiday rentals in Valencia: Law 15/2018 - 6 posts
No tax if no gain when property selling: Supreme Court recent decission - 4 posts
Is airbnb permitted? - 2 posts
Denuncia - 6 posts
Recommendations for property manager - Quatretonda and surrounding areas - 10 posts
The very dark side of the Andalusian property buying p - 8 posts
Long term rental wanted - 1 posts
Inheritance tax - 24 posts
Rental Agents - 2 posts
where shall I go - 6 posts
Mulla old town housing - 3 posts
Disaster in Spain .. any help appreciated - 8 posts
Any help would be so helpful. - 5 posts
Costaluz lawyers - 8 posts
Driving licence - 2 posts
No need for dish if you have Virgin Media in U.K - 5 posts
Credit Card and Car Hire - 1 posts
personnel relationship agreement sabadell bank? - 1 posts
Long term rental - 4 posts
Translation - 4 posts
Car - 3 posts
Bank charges - 1 posts
Bankia/BMN - 42 posts
Legal intrest payment - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x