Would you rely on your "European Health card" in Spain and travel without Insurance ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 May 2013 3:05 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

The EU is taking action against Spains Health Service for not accepting the EU Health Card. Yet, lots of people ive spoken to rely on this Card as a back up in case an accident happens on holiday . Have any of you been refused treatment and is it a bad as it looks at A & E units in Spain where apparently some accident victims have been refused treatment unless they present a credit card  ? 

Weve been lucky so far over a few years but now would NOT rely on the health card.  

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 0      
30 May 2013 3:23 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Watch 'Watchdog' on BBC1 tonight, special section about EH Card

Kelju

Like 0      
30 May 2013 3:30 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Some residents, not on Spanish NHS, are illegally using their EHIC cards while living in Spain. Perhaps Spain is fighting back against misuse. It's wrong to refuse treatment when the card is presented legally, though. If it does happen could the affected person ring DWP  or the Consul and ask someone to speak to the hospital?

Like 0      
30 May 2013 4:26 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This something I wrote earlier for another purpose,  but it may help:-   

This same problem came up a while back, under the guise ‘health tourism.’ 

The problem is that when the treatment is provide on the Euro health card, they bill the UK (and the other countries for their nationals ) for the cost.   When NHS pay, after offsetting treatment provided for Spaniards in UK, the money goes to Madrid, but, Madrid do not send it to where the actual treatment was provided.  It is in effect shared out to everywhere.

Thus the major holiday destinations that are treating  a  large number of tourists, loose out to the inland areas.  This also means there is insufficient funding  to provide additional medical staff  in the tourist areas where it is need.  Resulting in a poorer standard of service for (us) locals and tourists.

However, if the treatment is paid for on holiday insurance, or privately,  then the centre where the treatment is provided gets it.

The answer if refused is to demand the complaints form and complete it.  I believe, from my experience of using the form that would effectively eliminate the problem, as far as the patient is concerned, but Spain needs to get it’s house in order to solve the problem, for the benefit of all of us.

Like 0      
30 May 2013 4:27 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

I have just had similar treatment here in U.K.

I went to the doctor and was told that to get my medication I had to get a private prescription and pay for it even though I am a U.K. national but a Spanish resident. Eventually after much arguing I insisted that they gave me my prescriptions. The secretary went into the Doctor and said that I can have some of them but not all. I also had to register with them as a temporary resident.

Today I telephoned Newcastle and they said catergorically that the doctor was wrong to refuse any prescription to a European resident and it was very wrong to make me a temporary resident. In fact by signing me on as a temporary resident, Spain might cancel my health cover.

A word of advice direct from Newcastle is when you present yourself at a G.P. or hospital insist that they give you your 'emergency' treatment solely on production of your EHIC. The doctor is not allowed to refuse to give you your medication if it is prescribed by a doctor overseas and if they refuse or want to "phone a friend" (i.e. the NHS Trust) tell them that they HAVE to telephone Newcastle and they will tell them what they can and can not do.

If you are 'forced' to pay for your medication Newcastle will refund you plus postage but only on a NHS prescription but not on a private prescription.

Once again we see the UK complaining about Spain but doing exactly the same thing themselves. Surely you should put your own house in order before complaining about somebody elses.

Like 0      
30 May 2013 7:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

So the EHIC isn't only for emergencies? It covers visits to GPs and prescription meds issued by them? Learn something new everyday! 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 May 2013 7:59 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Me too, Roberto. On the few occasion that I have needed a (routine) blood test whilst in Spain, I have gone to a private clinic and paid my 40 euros. What a pity I hadn't thought to demand it for free on the Spanish NHS!

Mike

Like 0      
30 May 2013 8:34 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

yes an EHIC , or other EU country equivalent ,is for full healthcare as would be available to a citizen of that country. It also has no limit on length of stay only subject to the countries registration requirements. Normally would only be 3 ,onths in each country.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
30 May 2013 8:48 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I thought that it was only for emergency treatment and would only have used it for such.

Mike

Like 0      
30 May 2013 8:54 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinSpain.aspx

Before you consult a doctor or hospital (ambulatorio), ensure that they accept your European Health Insurance card (EHIC). Some hospitals and health centres (centro sanitario) offer both, private and state-provided healthcare and it is up to you to inform them, which services you require. Remember, any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable and not covered by your EHIC.
Doctors
State-provided healthcare is free of charge. Be aware that hotels and tour operators generally call or recommend a private doctor who will charge you. They might reassure visitors that they can claim back whatever is paid out, but they are referring to private insurance and not the EU arrangements.
In some parts of the country, particularly the outlying islands, you may have to travel some distance to find a state healthcare provider. If you need to call out a doctor in an emergency, make sure you have an EHIC and ask for state funded healthcare.
Please be aware that doctors, health centres and hospitals may have separate surgery times for private patients and those treated under the state system. Also, if you are asked to pay up front, you are not being treated under the Spanish health service and your EHIC will not be accepted.
Dentists
Dental treatment is generally not available under the state system and the costs are not refundable. 
Hospital treatment
You will need a doctor's referral for any hospital treatment, except in emergencies. However, you should try to go to a public hospital as only those hospitals offer treatment free of charge. Make sure you can present your EHIC on admission otherwise you will be charged as a private patient. Costs incurred for private treatment are not refundable.
Prescriptions
Medicines prescribed by health service practitioners can be obtained from any pharmacy (farmacia). You will be charged up to 40% of the cost unless you are a UK or EEA pensioner. However, you must be able to prove that you are a state pensioner, otherwise you will have to pay. This is non-refundable in Spain but you may be able to seek reimbursement when you are back in the UK.
If you are told by a hospital that you require medicines following your discharge, you must take the hospital medical report to a doctor, who will give you a prescription. This is because doctors in public hospitals will prescribe medicines on the appropriate medical report but do not issue official prescriptions.
Ambulance
If you require an ambulance, ask the hospital to confirm that it offers state-provided health care.
Air ambulance
No information available

Like 0      
31 May 2013 9:53 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Many of us have little choice but to rely on the EHIC when on holiday.  If you are elderly and have suffered a few life challenging health conditions, no matter how long ago, travel insurance, particularly for extended stays is next to impossible to get.  At least not at a price that I could contemplate.  We used to spend a lot of time in the 'states and have many connections there,but because I have been refused health insurance of any sort, or quoted prices many times the actual travel cost that we have now ceased going there.  We have owned a holiday home in Spain for years and relied on the EHIC card (or its predecessor) for any emergencies which should occur, although thankfully never so far needed.  We take ensure that all routine matters are taken care of before we leave the UK and plan things so that any check-ups fall either side of our trips, but now, if we cannot rely upon reciprocal agreements for emergency cover we will have to stop going outside the UK for our breaks. Anyone want a cheap apartment in Spain?

Like 0      
31 May 2013 1:49 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Xetog, 

I would not worry. I understand that the number of complaints where the card was not accepted,  is  something like 120 cases  whereas the number of medical attendances using the EHIC is in the millions, with around 11 million Brits visiting Spain each year.

As I explained earlier, I believe the refusals have been to bring to the attention of the Madrid Medical Technocrats that the tourist area medical services are being penalised by Madrid as they are not being reimbursed for services carried out on EHIC.

There are inevitably also a number of cases where the treatment demanded has not been urgent so not covered, or where people by mistake have gone to private facilities, which of course are not covered by the scheme.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 31/05/2013.

Like 0      
31 May 2013 2:00 PM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

The problem was mentioned on the BBC Watchdog programme last night.  People are advised to contact their consulates if they are refused assistance in a public hospital.

It may be that there are only 120 complaints but how many people complain?

This message was last edited by competa on 31/05/2013.

Like 0      
31 May 2013 2:24 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

120 out of a possible 11 million. 

That is not a 'significant' problem.  (except to those affected)

And asking for the complaints form probably would have eliminated the 120 too.

Like 0      
31 May 2013 2:26 PM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

Enough to initiate an investigation by the EU John!

Like 0      
31 May 2013 2:33 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

In 2009 I attended A&E and as part of the registration process gave my EHIC card. Within a few hours I was having emergency surgery followed by a 10 day hospital stay. Apart from the hospital being a bit (well quite a lot really) grim I can't complain. I was discharged with medical notes for my GP and no request for any sort of additional payment although we did have to pay for own translator which I think is fair enough.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
31 May 2013 2:37 PM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

I think this is a new thing brought on by the recession and public services having no money. Until recently  I had heard nothing but praise for the treatment of people in hospitals in Spain.  A friend died of cancer in a Spanish hospital and another friend had his broken arm attended to - both some years ago.

Like 0      
31 May 2013 2:38 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

This problem is happening in public hospitals, hence the concern.

gus lopez the EHIC is only for emergencies, after that you need travel insurance cover.

Like 0      
31 May 2013 3:14 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Perhaps it depends on the definition of emergency but I think the EHIC covers non emergency too.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/EEAcountries.aspx

Poppyseed

Like 0      
31 May 2013 3:58 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Perhaps it depends on the definition of emergency but I think the EHIC covers non emergency too.

Yes it does, and i am sure with some case's it also covers existing health problems if you notify beforehand the correct people and go through the correct channels.

If all that is said is true then why dont England refuse to treat overseas patients for the same reasons and then wait for the EC to complain about us. But then the UK has always gone by the so called EU rules, while others could care less.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Recommendation for car hire company at Almeria airport - 4 posts
Borrador de Delcaracion Pendiente de Confirmar - 5 posts
Incapacity Pension - 0 posts
Economy Car Rentals - 4 posts
Model flying clubs near torrevieja - 1 posts
Residency and UK / Spanish car query - 6 posts
Apple Store in La Cañada - 8 posts
Bank help needed , please - 10 posts
Amazing Bar And Club In Denia partner / investor sought - 4 posts
Need advice on renting properties and costs of living in Fuengirola Area - 0 posts
Buying a car in Spain, new NIE Number - 5 posts
robert boyd - 2 posts
paying into the spanish social system - 2 posts
swimming pool cleaners - recommendations - 0 posts
time to buy in Spain?? - 23 posts
Has Spain "lost its way" in Tourism ? - 9 posts
Easyjet new hand baggage rules... May 2013 - 7 posts
Air Conditioning unit for sale, good price - 2 posts
Song - 0 posts
Spanish ''song'' - 3 posts
New income tax regulations ? - 7 posts
Hola! Driving from London to Malaga - 15 posts
So. Spanish residency automatic for foreigners buying a house at over €500k ! - 0 posts
is here have any group for wireless communication like walkie talkie? - 0 posts
Wanted a good honest English speaking administrator in Marbella area. - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 62

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x