Loss of Sky TV!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Dec 2012 11:00 AM by willow Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

No doubt you will have heard about the changes with Sky TV.
I live in Calahonda, Costa del Sol.

Apparently Sky have changed or moved the footprint that covers the Costa del Sol & we are now suffering loss of some channels, mainly channel 5 & some other less popular channels..
This in itself is no major loss, however I have been told that more channels will disappear & that on the 15th of January we will lose all channels!
This may be scare mongering, but there is no doubt that there are going to be loss of channels & also loss of quality with the remaining channels.

The only solution seems to be an Internet based connection.
Various firms are advertising this solution with costs varying from 100 - 300 euros per set top box & monthly payments varying from zero - 40 euros per month, all depending, of course, on the extent of the packages required.

I have also been warned about the 'fly by night' companies that are installing these systems & disappearing or not giving good backup when things go wrong.

What is definite though, is that a high speed Internet connection is required to run this system. 
It is recommended that a 3 Mb ADSL connection is advisable.
May I ask that some members of Eye On Spain advise on the following?
1) Are we likely to lose most or all of our channels in the near future?
2) What are our options?
3) What are the likely costs?
4) As a community, can we negotiate a discounted price from one of the reputable providers?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

This message was last edited by willow on 06/12/2012.

This message was last edited by willow on 06/12/2012.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 1:28 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

"Apparently Sky have changed or moved the footprint "

No. Sky have not done anything. SKy dont even own the satellites and most footpritns are determines many months before the satellites are launched.

A handful of channels - some ITV1 regions, C4HD, 4seven, and the Fives - have moved from one satellite to a new satellite. This new satellite has different "beams" and so its reception is different to their previous satellite. Thus, you may loses these channels ifyour dish is no longer big enough to receive the signals on this beam.. This happened this tuesday. All these channels have nothing to do with Sky at all.

"however I have been told that more channels will disappear & that on the 15th of January we will lose all channels!"

You will not lose ALL channels. Only those channels your dish is too small to receive. The ones at risk are those that will be onthe new satellite UK Beam. Channel that are onthe Euopean beam you should still be able tro receive.

No dates, apart from the move on the 4th have even been mentioned by the satellite operators. So any dates you see about "loss of all channels" is pure speculation and rumour.

Are we likely to lose most or all of our channels in the near future

Depends where you are in what sized dish you have, and which beam on the new satellites the channels move to.

Note I said "new satellites". Two mre UK TV satellites are scheduled - 2E in Q1 2013, and 2G in Q1 2014. So reception of all channels, free or sky pay channels, will be affected. But as to loss, who know, as no-one has any idea what the uk beam on 2e and 2g will be like.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 5:45 PM by manilvajl Star rating in Manilva as much as p.... 426 posts Send private message

I a think the best thing to do is wait and see

Jeff

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 5:54 PM by manilvajl Star rating in Manilva as much as p.... 426 posts Send private message

I think it's best to wait and see and don't rush into buying what could be a short term solution.

If you have good aerial (not dish) and a freeview box or TV with freeview built in you can get many Spanish digital channels and they include many with English films and programs. Also Moroccan TV shows uk premiership football.

Here in Manilva my aerial points towards Gibraltar and I get almost 80 channels, many in high definition.

My old tv had no freeview in and I used a uk freeview box for 2 years.

If the uk sky channels disappear my spanish will improve for sure.

Jeff

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish contract law question - Malaga airline - 0 posts
Guard Dog for sale! - 0 posts
Camelot and the EuroMillions - 3 posts
Car Hire Costa del Sol - 1 posts
New here in Alicante/Murcia and have heard about stock car racing! - 0 posts
aifos and 57/68 - 0 posts
non resident tax on property - 6 posts
Residency and taxes - 12 posts
Claiming ESA AND DLA in spain - 4 posts
Tarifa - Morocco and then? - 6 posts
Golf Courses on the Costa del Sol - 2 posts
Murcia International Airport... new name for Corvera - 4 posts
Turkey "tips" please! - 9 posts
Is property crime one of the motives for moving back home? - 24 posts
buying good quality sofa bed in the santa pola area - 1 posts
Humax Foxsat-HDR - 3 posts
Loss of TV channels - 16 posts
is football becoming more popular or less popular in spain these years? - 5 posts
Property Reforms in Granada - 0 posts
Of Coefficients and expense allocations ~ HELP! - 1 posts
El Tayo, Los Palacios, Formentera del Segura - 3 posts
Beware Valencia-Holiday security deposit scam - 2 posts
Should Estate Agents in Spain be Regulated ??? - 4 posts
Astra 2F - change over from 1N - Initial transponder list - 31 posts
Orange Gas Bottle = Mijas Costa - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x