The following article is taken from Eye on Spain,

Being a British Pensioner in Spain

Can I claim my pension in Spain?

Yes. Whether you spend a few weeks there or live permanently in Spain, the Department for Work and pensions (DWP) will pay your pension.

How do I go about it and when do I claim?

About four months before reaching retirement age, you will receive an information pack and a claim form. If you are in the process of moving abroad and will be claiming a pension soon, it is a good idea to inform the pensions service in advance to avoid any loss of forms etc.

How often will I be paid?

You will be paid every four or 13 weeks in arrears, usually straight into your account in either Britain or Spain. But you can have a sterling cheque posted to you. Be careful when using a Spanish bank as some will charge you for receiving payments. If you plan to go abroad for less than two years, you can arrange to have the whole amount as a lump sum waiting for you when you come home.

What about the Winter Fuel Payments?

Anyone who has spent a winter in Spain will agree that it can get pretty chilly indoors and you do need heating. Therefore, the UK government will grant the two hundred pound (three hundred for those with an eight year old or over living there) benefit per household for those living in Spain.

Please note that you only qualify for the benefit if you were resident in the UK during the week prior to the 26th September, 2004.

What about Bereavement benefits?

There are no restrictions on your getting this in Spain. If you are above retirement age and your spouse dies, it will depend on his or her National Insurance contributions as to whether you qualify for an increase in your pension. You may also be entitled to the Bereavement allowance for up to one year, and the Widowed Parents Allowance.

Useful Contacts

Age Concern Espana

International Pension Centre

Winter Fuel payment Centre



We would like to hear from British pensioners living in Spain about their every day experiences, good and bad, help and advice for others living in Spain, or thinking of moving here. This is for a special supplement getting distributed at the Over 50's Show in the Palacio de Congresos, Estepona, on the 28th and 29th November. We look forward to hearing from you. via regards Jan Cooney www.sunnews.es18/11/2009 23:19:00Jan Cooney
"...some will charge you for receiving payments." La Caixa do not levy a charge for receiving my pension in euros.04/06/2010 16:51:00Terence Wilson
what about NHS prescriptions27/10/2010 17:45:00charlie cox
if i have my pension paid into a spanish account, would i get exchange rates or tourist rates?.28/10/2010 14:30:00john walton
If you have a private pension, you can transfer out to a QROPS in Malta which has a double taxation agreement with Spain. You can transfer to Euros, get freedom of fund choice and avoid the 55% tax upon death whilst in drawdown. You also pay Spanish rather than UK income tax on your pension.11/05/2012 06:41:00Richard