2020 Situation re UK plated car in Spain and selling RH drive car in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Feb 2020 10:56 AM by GranadaTostada Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi

I have searched the forum prior to this post in order to not needlesly trouble members for the information.

However any info that is slightly relevant is probably out of date – hence my post.Hopefully any responses can help others too.

I am asking really to help my partner.

Let me explain….my partners sister is moving to Spain in September with her partner. They are going to live around Cadiz I believe.

They feel that by taking their UK car to Spain is a better option than selling it in the UK and then buying a LH drive in Spain. They seem to be under the notion that this way is not only simpler – but they will also get top dollar for their UK RH drive. However, I, based on things I’ve heard from expats etc – think they will probably have problems. Problems with selling a RH drive and problems by having a UK car on UK plates too long etc etc...

At this point, I need to point out that neither of them are the sharpest knives in the box. Add to the fact they think they know it all too – and to top it all are going to live in a foreign country, I have no doubt they will quickly become a part of the type of expat bar-fly clans we all know and love. They’re escaping from the UK to re-invent themselves in Spain - after a life of self-inflicted misery, debt and depression there.

After all, we all know that Spain’s the land of milk and honey for everyone who goes there.

For these reasons I have a massive hunch they are going to come a cropper. I hear of massive fines/confiscations etc with brits living there who flout the laws with UK cars.

Here’s my motivation on this (if you’re wondering) If they do come a cropper – my partner will no doubt, as ever, get embroiled in their woes – with them feeling the need to bail them out financially. I have tried to get my partner to urge them to take caution – but with no success so far. If my partner gets grief – I get it too! I feel if I have evidence form experienced folk like you members - this may help avoid a potential major issue

Hopefully I am being over-cautious here, but any comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanking members in advance.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2020 1:02 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

If they are coming to live in Spain they must apply to re-register the car on Spanish plates so that it classed as a personal possession.

The cost of getting the car up to Spanish specs and paying the registration tax will probably be up to a thousand euro depending on what needs to be done.

Selling a UK RHD car in Spain can be very difficult. Basically, no-one wants a car where you have to have a passenger every time you go through a toll or a car park or one where it can be very difficult to see around other cars when overtaking etc. I think the only people that would buy them would be those who are returning to UK and you'd only get the UK price for a used car, not the Spanish price which is generally higher.

If they intend to just use the car without registering it then, yes, it can be impounded and even crushed along with a fine. And if they become residents then they are not allowed to drive a foreign plated car anyway.

Yes, I know loads do and live under the radar. They may not be able to get away with it for much longer, though. 

Like 1      
21 Feb 2020 1:37 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

There is possibly another way. Sell the RHD drive car in the UK and buy a Spanish registered car from a UK dealer and drive it to Spain, however If there is no deal after the transition period they will probably not have the right to live in Spain. (If this is wrong on any of this I am sure someone will correct me), Good luck.

Like 1      
21 Feb 2020 2:00 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Whatever their status may be they will have to ensure the car is fully legally insured and taxed, plus MOT if applicable.

If they are none resident they will be restricted to how long they can stay in Spain, but there is no restriction on the car, despite many would disagree, but cannot quote any Spanish law, however the DVLA say the car must be deregistered.

If they become Spanish residents as Mariedev says, it is illegal to drive a foreign registered car in Spain.

One thing for sure the driver of a RHD car in Spain will need lots of Diclofenaco ointment for their neck and Clyde to operate the toll and supermarket barrier tickets.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2020 2:26 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Could it be this is just an excuse because they don’t feel confident about a LHD car. Whatever unless they can sell to a Brit returning home the value of car is worthless especially once matriculated and the costs involved

Like 0      
21 Feb 2020 3:27 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Perhaps just stick to Spanish law on legalities on this subject and leave normal market forces to deal with what the car might be worth in the UK and Spain.enlightened

Like 0      
21 Feb 2020 3:55 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

OP mentioned their relatives believing they could get ..quote “ top dollar” ( which is far from the truth) so why Kavanagh ..is it your opinion..we should just stick to Spanish legalities. 

Like 0      
21 Feb 2020 4:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

From what you have said, I don't think you are being "over cautious". I fully understand your concern. They are most probably going to move to Spain to simply recreate "a life of self-inflicted misery, debt and depression there", with a good few extra problems thrown in to the bargain. I can't think of one instance of anyone escaping their problems by a mere change in geography.

However, unfortunately no matter how much research you try to do on their behalf (that they should be doing themselves of course) they will do whatever they want anyway and probably at best refuse to listen to your well-intended advice, and more likely resent your unsolicited interference with their best laid plans (!!) 

For what it's worth, I agree with the posters here who have already explained why taking their UK RHD car with them is not the best idea, but I suspect that they will have far more important issues to deal with anyway: they're going to be sitting on a time bomb to claim residency (proof of income/capital, health insurance?) as EU citizens, for a start. And what are their prospects/plans for employment?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
21 Feb 2020 4:36 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I would take the RHD car to Spain....they can fill it with their stuff for the trip and will have no problem driving it around Spain until the end of this year. Once here, I would buy a LHD Spanish plated car. Then I would drive the RHD car back to UK and flog it before Christmas.

Like 1      
21 Feb 2020 5:25 PM by GranadaTostada Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi

I have searched the forum prior to this post in order to not needlesly trouble members for the information.

However any info that is slightly relevant is probably out of date – hence my post.Hopefully any responses can help others too.

I am asking really to help my partner.

Let me explain….my partners sister is moving to Spain in September with her partner. They are going to live around Cadiz I believe.

They feel that by taking their UK car to Spain is a better option than selling it in the UK and then buying a LH drive in Spain. They seem to be under the notion that this way is not only simpler – but they will also get top dollar for their UK RH drive. However, I, based on things I’ve heard from expats etc – think they will probably have problems. Problems with selling a RH drive and problems by having a UK car on UK plates too long etc etc...

At this point, I need to point out that neither of them are the sharpest knives in the box. Add to the fact they think they know it all too – and to top it all are going to live in a foreign country, I have no doubt they will quickly become a part of the type of expat bar-fly clans we all know and love. They’re escaping from the UK to re-invent themselves in Spain - after a life of self-inflicted misery, debt and depression there.

After all, we all know that Spain’s the land of milk and honey for everyone who goes there.

For these reasons I have a massive hunch they are going to come a cropper. I hear of massive fines/confiscations etc with brits living there who flout the laws with UK cars.

Here’s my motivation on this (if you’re wondering) If they do come a cropper – my partner will no doubt, as ever, get embroiled in their woes – with them feeling the need to bail them out financially. I have tried to get my partner to urge them to take caution – but with no success so far. If my partner gets grief – I get it too! I feel if I have evidence form experienced folk like you members - this may help avoid a potential major issue

Hopefully I am being over-cautious here, but any comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanking members in advance.

This message was last edited by GranadaTostada on 25/07/2020.

This message was last edited by GranadaTostada on 11/10/2020.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2020 12:07 PM by GranadaTostada Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi

Just thought I would update on what has happened with the 2 protagonists in my OP in Feb.

Shortly after my post, the fools decided to go to Spain immediately (as opposed to Sept 2020 as planned) and landed there at the beginning of March, both having given up 'ok' minimum wage jobs in the UK

Talk about bad timing! 3 weeks later they had a 3 month+ lockdown and any chances after that of finding any work in the tourist sector as dead as a dodo. Theyve not been able to sell their UK car (as predicted here by posters) and neither have landed jobs. they have both done a tiny bit of cash in hand work - probably earned 1k between them since March. He's had a bit of cash in hand work in a bar as a cleaner- but he got the boot for drinking the stock and not paying!

Bottom line is they have little savings left, no employment contract and cant afford private health insurance. On top of this they are living in a ghost town - with virtually no tourism industry so to speak - as winter and brexit looms.

So yes, true to form they have confirmed the experiences of many a UK dreamer who thought they could arrive and 'wing it'. They've already approached us for a 'loan' until things improve - but as it will turn out to be a loan that never gets repaid (even if things did improve - which they wont for ages - if ever), we have taken great pleasure in telling them that that particular tap has dried up. We were their only hope.

To make things worse - had they kept plans to go in Sept - then they would not have gone. they would have remained  in the Uk with furloughed jobs with businesses that are still trading today.

As the saying in Spain goes - The mother of the stupid is always pregnant.....

I know I shouldnt laugh, but after them living lives of 'live for the day' during all their adult lives they are now stuck in a squalid studio of 40m2 over a takeaway of  - with no cash and Brexit looming. Oh and with the obligatory rescue dog that they got almost immedately. A dog that they were told would be 'small' crying and is now about the size of a sheep. It's worked out perfectly for us - a couple who have been a millstone round our necks for years financially  in the UK - are now stuck in Spain with lots of time to review their lives and folly. The only thing that didnt happen, that I predicted would - is they havent got a circle of similar loser expat friends - simply because there's hardly anyone living there. Even the desperados have gone!

Thanks for all your comments all those months ago.

Oh dear...

This message was last edited by GranadaTostada on 11/10/2020.

Like 1      
12 Oct 2020 9:22 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

What a great story. I am not usually the sort of person who delights in the misfortune of others, but these clowns have clearly reaped what they have sown. The way you describe them I should imagine that they will now be blaming everyone else for their problems, including you. Just make sure you don't buckle and give in to their pleas.

Like 2      
13 Oct 2020 3:39 PM by GranadaTostada Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Yes Jarvi, it has given us more than a couple of wry smiles. A lifetime of dubious living in the UK - flirting from one chaotic scenario to another - has finally nailed them in Spain.

Like you I am not usually one to take pleasure out of misfortune - but I confess to having done so greatly here. Today's update is that theyve had the bright idea of becoming key-holders for neighbours (cash in hand obviously). Trouble is - 90% of the neighbours are elderly Spanish residents and as the 2 of them dont know any lingo apart from una más etc...they are royally screwed. He looks like an extra from Minder and she looks like a gansters moll. I cant imagine any strangers giving them a set of keys! So far they said that one neighbour has said they might be interested (in other words - f*** off!). Oh - and the other old chestnut of dog-walking has been touted as another money making wheeze (this time next year Rodneee!)!  I'm at the stage where I cant wait for updates. I find they tell me more if I pretend I'm sympathetic too them. It's hard feigning  genuine concern when you are helplessly sliding down the sofa with tears of laughter rolling down your leg.

They still owe us 1400€ which we'll never see again - so this is kind of making up for it.

I tell you - its like a free soap-opera for us 2 here. I'm just off to get some popcorn and a hot-dog....

Like 2      
13 Oct 2020 4:28 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

This would make a wonderful blog. Maybe it will reawaken a few grey cells for those,under retirement, who think living and working in Spain is a doddle 

Over the years many have had the same dream and attitude as this couple only to become aggressive when the truth is pointed out to them.

Like 2      
13 Oct 2020 5:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I have met too many similar couples (and individuals) over the years to remember. Some just give up and return home with tails between their legs, but too many end up with broken relationships, alcoholism or worse. Sad, but true. 

Of course, there are many happy success stories too, but this is certainly a good cautionary tale. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Squatters Rights with Property in Spain - 18 posts
720 and Income Tax - 1 posts
shower refurb - 1 posts
Gas Hob - 2 posts
Brexit: tax on lets - 31 posts
EU registration - 7 posts
Volunteering in Malaga/Rincon de la Victoria - 2 posts
Official information for UK nationals moving to or living in Spain, including guidance on residency, healthcare, passports and the Withdrawal Agreement. - 0 posts
Non Alcohol Wine - 2 posts
Requirement to carry passport - 36 posts
CGT on selling property - 3 posts
Registering as EU citizen - 76 posts
Brexit - 40 posts
amazon firestick - 17 posts
Will the Supreme Court grant Consumer Law status to Law 57/68 debate? - 2 posts
Tax rebate for British Erasmus student - 2 posts
All won cases by CostaLuz Lawyers-- off plan refunds and Floor Clause-- so far in 2020 - 0 posts
All won cases by Costaluz Lawyers-- off plan refunds--in 2019 - 0 posts
sparkey clarkey electrician - 1 posts
CGT - 5 posts
Taxes as an online teacher - 5 posts
Becoming an estate agent - 13 posts
bank charges - 5 posts
Planning bathroom upgrade should a bathroom fan be considered - 6 posts
Moving to Spain because of BREXIT - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x