early repayment of mortgage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by shirederby Star rating in uk cds. 10 posts Send private message

i took out a mortgage on the property when i bought approx 80000 euro over 15 years at a fixed rate of 5.6% for the full term with solbank.i did not know much about mortgages in spain and went with this as i had a bank account with solbank and it seemed the easiest option but probably not the best deal. i have 12 years left ,As it appears to be very expensive to switch ,what cost is involved with paying the total amount off,or is it possible to go back to the bank to see if i can renegotiate a new deal ,i would not want to have to pay the set up charges again as they were extortionate and came as somewhat of a surprise.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 11:25 AM by Ian24A Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

I seem to recall that it will stipulate on the first page of the mortgage quote Solbank give out what the repayment charges are. Typically they are about 1% of capital outstanding as a charge for early repayment.

But also there is usually a permitted maximum amount that you can pay off without any charges being incurred. I think on my mortgage it is twenty thousand Euros a year. I guess this part doesn't really help as you want to cancel it out completely and you need a new mortgage to be able to pay the old one off.

Solbank are no different than any other bank. They want as much of your money that they can possibly get their hands on so sadly the time to negotiate the terms is before you sign the mortgage. After that they just behave like the rest--

Typical response:-

" I'd like to help you out!

Which way did you come in?"

Regards and good luck with the renegotiation.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 12:46 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

REMORTGAGE IS NOT A BIG MARKET IN SPAIN OWING TO THE SWITCHING COSTS - CAN TRY SOLBANK TO SEE IF THEY WILL OFFER SOMETHING MORE COMPETITIVE BUT THE TIME TO HAVE DONE IT WOULD REALLY HAVE BEEN TWO YEARS AGO WHEN RATES WERE LOWER - NO REAL POINT IN SWITCHING TO ANOTHER LENDER AS IT WOULD PROBABLY TAKE 7 YEARS TO RECOVER THE COST OF SWITCHING IF IT IS PURELY A BETTER RATE YOU ARE AFTER.

THERE ARE LENDERS NOW WITH 0% EARLY REPAYMENT CHARGE AND MORE FLEXIBILITY FOR OVER PAYMENT - THE MARKET IS SLOWLY CHANGING BUT THE DEFINITIVE WORD IS SLOWLY.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:36 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Do you always have to shout Smiley - I got a headache today and it hurts just reading your loud message !

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:42 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Soooooooo sorry -out on the sauce again last night - blimey you got some stamina - mind you, you had a lot to celebrate so some justification. Sorry I dont understand this internet stuff about caps being shouting - how do I change to a whisper - told you before I got a good hangover cure recipe!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:43 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Ahhhh thank you. You dont have to whisper, just use normal text - its doesnt hurt the eyes.

So - what exactly is this hangover cure of yours then??

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:51 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Its an old secret recipe that I was taught a long long time ago - and it works! Not sure if I can reveal all here as not all the ingredients readily available so might have to PM you with it

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:53 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Im ready to try anything to shift this mother!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:58 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Why whats your mother got to do with this?

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 7:00 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Dont ask! I reckon its her fault - she was rather particular of the drink as well

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 7:03 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Typical - blame the parents - mind you its always worked for me - like father like son!

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 7:55 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Yeah - its the best excuse to fall back on. Always drove my parents wild when they were telling me off to retort that that had done the same at my age!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 8:04 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Tell me was it she who taght you the Verrano four step?

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 8:06 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Yeah - and the Tinto doble - doble vision that is

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 8:07 PM by shirederby Star rating in uk cds. 10 posts Send private message

thanks for the replies looks like i will have to hope intrest rates go to 9% and i will be quids in!!

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 8:07 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
I thought it was the Tinto Diablo

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 8:08 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Bloomin well feels like it the next morning I can tell you  I really should stick to my tried and trusted methods.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Self Cert Mortgages - 35 posts
Marbella Rugby Championship - proud mum posting! - 29 posts
anyone seen my kids? abducted and taken to porta banus - 5 posts
Parking - 2 posts
My driving license has hit a brick wall! - 28 posts
BEWARE!!! EXCESS BAGGAGE - 32 posts
candymar los pacos fuengirola - 0 posts
Completion Works On New Developments - 7 posts
purchased in 2001 and still not finished - 4 posts
Mast for Broadband and Landline phones. - 5 posts
Offset Mortgages - 3 posts
FRAUDULENT MORTGAGE BROKER NICKED AT NOTARY - 8 posts
Anyone buying on Royal Dreams Site in Albudeite? - 8 posts
understanding spanish written word - 5 posts
EMERGENCY GAS ENGINEERS - 11 posts
Joinery work in Spain - 6 posts
Sold Again!!! - 3 posts
Solo hablamos español por favor - 50 posts
Spanish ONLY in here PLEASE. - 35 posts
Computer problem!!! - 14 posts
Lanzarote Villa - damp problem - 0 posts
Buy/Register Car in Gib and run in Spain - 5 posts
arenal 2000 benalmadena golf - 10 posts
For you men out there - 94 posts
A note of caution - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x