The cheapest supermarket in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Apparently the cheapest supermarket is officially Mercadona, which most of us probably knew anyway. 

Have a look here for more details.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2010 7:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Strange that, as mentioned in the Blog, LIDL and ALDI are not included in the survey. Anyway, neither is our local, pictured here, which I'm sure must undercut Mercadona.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Feb 2010 8:33 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Is that Daddies sauce on the front shelf?

Like 0      
21 Feb 2010 11:02 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Interesting news. I find suoermarkets in Spain quite expensive in comparison to UK stores. UK stores seem to be very competitive.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2010 11:52 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

That would depend on what you use Spanish supermarkets for.  Yes, HP sauce, Bisto gravy, cheddar cheese, steak pies etc are going to be more expensive.  Many things in Spain are much cheaper and if you embrace the Spanish diet you will find it much cheaper.  Serrano ham, pancetta, non-English cheeses, olive oil, most fruit and veg on the markets, eggs, mince, pork fillet etc etc are all much cheaper than UK.  Personally, I quite like Carrefour because of the choice (only place I can find sour cream, for example).  I also like Mercadona and Consum.  The good old crashing pound (yes, I know it made a recovery last week but it was short lived due to the UK debt being revealed to be thand Greeces) has made a huge difference.  At 1.50 to the pound, everything was hunky dory.  At 1.10 (if you're lucky) it has made everything much dearer.  Also, shop around.  Many of the supermarkets now have special offers and have loyalty cards.  And use the markets.  Fresh, cheap and excellent value.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2010 10:43 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Yes, I have a Consum card that gives me a cheque every month (depending on how much I have spent there) to use against my shopping, plus they send me a leaflet with the latest offers, including a voucher to use against the purchase of different products.

We also have a Día card, plus a key fob which means if we lost our keys hopefully someone would hand them in and Día can then contact us.  Every month, when we buy something from their store, vouchers are printed off with our till receipt which gives us savings over the following month.

If you become a regular at the local market, you will probably find they round down your bill, plus occasionally chuck something in for free once you have paid.  Also, you are more likely to be eating fresh seasonal produce and eating a healthy Mediterranean diet, which can´t be bad!

Having said that, Mercadona is close to us and their  prices are very competitive, so we do go there a lot - especially as they are next door to Bodegas Silvano Garcia, where we can fill up a plastic bottle with their table wine for the princely sum of 0.80€ a litre!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
22 Feb 2010 11:53 AM by SimoneIcough Star rating in Monda. 43 posts Send private message

SimoneIcough´s avatar

I also shop at Dia with my club card and find it very resonable and the products very good. But I also use mercadona alot too as they often have good deals and I prefer their dog food, well my dogs do!

I agree that if you buy fresh veg and meat it works out cheaper than buying UK products that are shipped over. Makes sence really :)

We do have an Iceland near to where we live, so its nice to go and get the bits we miss and they are not too exspensive, but I could not do a weeks shop in there as then it would work out very expensive!

Simone

Like 0      
22 Feb 2010 12:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Bodegas Silvano Garcia, where we can fill up a plastic bottle with their table wine for the princely sum of 0.80€ a litre!

Oh, SO important, Sue, SO IMPORTANT!

Is THAT the bodega you took US to?

This message was last edited by morerosado on 22/02/2010.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2010 1:26 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

In one word, Morerosado: yes!  Or if you prefer: ¡si!

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
22 Feb 2010 1:38 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

22 Feb 2010 2:31 PM by SimoneIcough Star rating in Monda. 43 posts Send private message

SimoneIcough´s avatar

Yes I think they do some sort of card. I got the info from them before but there was so much to fill in the form I didnt bother! Not sure what benifits you would get though, you would have to ask one of the cashiers next time your in there :)

Like 0      
22 Feb 2010 2:34 PM by SimoneIcough Star rating in Monda. 43 posts Send private message

SimoneIcough´s avatar

Here is a link to Mercadonas website about their club cards

https://www.tarjetamercadona.es/local_tlaf/login_tlaf_mercadona_CAS.html

Like 0      
23 Feb 2010 1:57 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Thanks Simonelcough.

Unfortunately it looks like it is some kind of store card that lets you spread your payments out.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Van back to Spain TOMORROW 21-02-2010 - 1 posts
End of analogue TV? Do I need a new box? - 9 posts
What is a Denuncia exactly? - 5 posts
changing lawyers - 2 posts
A good value Spanish red wine - 25 posts
Barcelona - 9 posts
contact town hall - 3 posts
Airport Transfers - 2 posts
Looking to buy rural land to site holiday cabin or caravan - 6 posts
amber pools - 5 posts
Market research for a potential new business - 2 posts
Xbox live - 1 posts
Tax?????? income tax home or away??? - 5 posts
hola, alguien habla español - 12 posts
We need El Corte Ingles on the Costa Blanca North - 7 posts
can the euro survive - 1 posts
Hello just joined eyeonspain! - 12 posts
Holidays/short term visits - 2 posts
Horizontal Law Community Buiding Insurance - 3 posts
Any tips? - 0 posts
CAMERA PROBLEM - 2 posts
You need a strong physical guy doing the hard work? - 0 posts
Free Pre-paid Master Card - 0 posts
Paperless banking - 2 posts
Wanted palletts brought over from the uk once a month - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x